Beginner Best lens for landscape photography with a Nikon d5500

Name
Louise
Edit My Images
Yes
Just looking for some advice. Wondering what the best lens would be for landscape photography for my Nikon d5500?

Would a zoom lens be useful?

Also have an interest in astrophotography so any suggestions for that too would be great.

Any helps appreciated. Thanks!

There isn't really a "best" lens for landscape photography unfortunately because the focal ranges you'll need will be dependent on what you're shooting.

Personally I find I can make do with only a wide angle zoom and a telephoto zoom. I also carry a 50mm prime but it doesn't get used as often as the very wide or very long extremes of the focal range.

Something like the Nikon 10-20mm and the 55-200 would be the DX equivalent, but not sure of the quality of those lenses. My point is - try to figure out what focal lengths you want, then look for lenses in that range.

P.S. for astro you'll want something with a wide maximum aperture e.g. F1.8 to 2.8.

Try the 16-80mm f2.8 to f4 I used it on a D7200 and it was a great lens unfortunately both camera and lens went for a dunk in the sea.

As said, it depends very much on what you shoot & where you live!

Take a look through my Flickr - I mainly use 40mm on FF. Lately though I've been using 80-200mm a bit & I'm starting to enjoy that lens a lot more. I rarely use my 21mm lens.

Thanks for the replies guys!
I live in the U.K. and have been shooting with a Nikon 35mm f1.8g. Love the results I have been getting with it but sometimes can’t get close enough to my subject so feel a zoom would also be beneficial.

Well, traditionally, the 'trinity' of lenses for landscape shooters (in 35mm sensor size) is 16-35mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm. I shoot most of my landscapes, (probably around 90%) using a 24-70mm. For a crop sensor camera like yours, the equivalent would be Nikon's 17-55mm. I quite like the idea of the versatility of a 24-120mm too so, as mentioned above, the 16-80mm would be the equivalent on a crop sensor.

Back