best lens setup for wedding photography with 40d

Edit My Images
No
HI, i have a 40d and am thinking of venturing towards wedding photography.
I am in half a mind to go for a 24-105L combined with a 10-22mm
but at the same time im not sure if the F4 of the 24-105 will be a limitation at the time when it is really needed, in all the lowlight indoor situations.

So i was wondering if this is the best choice or if anyone has any other lens ideas for wedding photography.

thanks

You could always add a 35 and 50mm f1.4 into the mix, or plump for the 24..70 2.8....

Don't even think of spending money on equipment until you learn the ropes. Buy books, DVD's, invest in good quality training and then you won't even have to ask this question.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's very, very true.

Weddings are an incredibly harsh environment with a lot of technical expertise required as well as business sense and even if you know what you are doing with a camera, you need to know what you are doing with shots you really need to capture on the day.

Homework, homework and homework. Then spend some money :)

You could always add a 35 and 50mm f1.4 into the mix, or plump for the 24..70 2.8....

yeah the 24-70 had occurred to me as well, will see.

Don't even think of spending money on equipment until you learn the ropes. Buy books, DVD's, invest in good quality training and then you won't even have to ask this question.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's very, very true.

Weddings are an incredibly harsh environment with a lot of technical expertise required as well as business sense and even if you know what you are doing with a camera, you need to know what you are doing with shots you really need to capture on the day.

Homework, homework and homework. Then spend some money :)

i know mate, and thanks for the words of advice, im a way off it still but im pushing in that direction, will be jumping on a course soon i want to get the right lens in place first. i have a tamron 18-250 whcih i like but its not good enough for weddings as well as a nifty fifty which i like a lot.

Am in the process of reading as much as i can.
do you have any recommendations for dvds regarding wedding photography?

thank you

Oh yes!
Have a look at Mark Cleghorns site www.phototraining4U.co.uk for a really good grounding on both natural light, flash, studio and weddings.
Mark did a series called "confetti and lace" and it's on there as an archive. The DVD followed him on a live wedding where he could explain what he was doing and why while also showing the results.

Damien Lovegrove is a graduate of the Annabel Williams school and is always worth looking at.

There is a lot to learn and although the various pro organisations (SWPP, MPA etc) can get a tad political at times, it's always well worth looking at those too. Plenty of good training opportunities.

Oh yes!
Have a look at Mark Cleghorns site www.phototraining4U.co.uk for a really good grounding on both natural light, flash, studio and weddings.
Mark did a series called "confetti and lace" and it's on there as an archive. The DVD followed him on a live wedding where he could explain what he was doing and why while also showing the results.

Damien Lovegrove is a graduate of the Annabel Williams school and is always worth looking at.

There is a lot to learn and although the various pro organisations (SWPP, MPA etc) can get a tad political at times, it's always well worth looking at those too. Plenty of good training opportunities.

thats fantastic mate, thanks very much for your help :) will be checking it all out now.

EDIT: it says i need to log on to the site unfortunately, will google the guy anyway and see what pops up

HI, i have a 40d and am thinking of venturing towards wedding photography.
I am in half a mind to go for a 24-105L combined with a 10-22mm
but at the same time im not sure if the F4 of the 24-105 will be a limitation at the time when it is really needed, in all the lowlight indoor situations.

So i was wondering if this is the best choice or if anyone has any other lens ideas for wedding photography.

thanks
I imagine you might find a use for the 10-22mm (just as some people find a use for fisheye lenses at weddings!) but it's unlikely to be your main lens.

I think the most common wedding setup I've seen for crop-sensor Canons is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS on one body and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS on the other. Of course there are also those who prefer ultra-fast primes, eg EF 35mm f/1.4 L or EF 50mm f/1.2 L.

Back