Best lens to hire for a NY trip

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
I was going to buy a Sigma 10-20, but have decided to instead rent a lanes as for my new york trip.

I see Lensesforhire advertise on here so will use them...

What lens would be best? Canon 10-22, Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 12-24?

All are similarly priced...

Bear in mind, I have a 40d, and am quite hand with it, but I have mainly used it for shots of my little boy and used the 50mm 1.8 a lot. And never really tried with wide open lenses etc.

Thanks very much. In terms of price of rental... The are all within £5 of each other!

Those photos are fantastic... This will be our 7th time!

Where is the deli you had photos of?

Thanks! 7 times!!!!!!!! wow!!!! This will be our 3rd time going over this February. I'm in love with the place.

The deli: http://katzsdelicatessen.com/
;)

I was there for sept 11 this year, the sigma 10-20 was used quite a lot, great lens. the 28-300L was used a lot too as it gave good range for when i needed something that little bit longer without changing lenses.

and Katz deli is amazing, the pastrami is amazing....need to go to here as well great atmosphere and great beer...

Aaaah I've heard of mcsorleys but never been... It's usually just Christmas shopping we go for ... But will do a few touristy things this time!

We ate a lot in the Tic Tock Dinner, that built into the corner of the New Yorker hotel (near Penn Street station).

Always had good breakfasts there.

You likely need an architecture lens and a people lens, so you'll want to cover from about 10mm up to about 120mm. If you can go higher, that's fine. I have one trip to Chicago every spring, and the vast majority of my shots come within that range.

What lens would be best? Canon 10-22, Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 12-24?
With a 40D, don't bother with the Sigma 12-24. It's designed for full frame, on which it is amazingly wide, but the optical quality isn't really up to the standards of the others on a crop sensor.

Of the others, I prefer the Canon 10-22. (I have a 40D also). The Tokina has more solid build quality, and some people say it's a little sharper, and it is f/2.8. But I find its range much too restrictive, and I don't like the AF/MF clutch ring, and I don't need f/2.8 on an ultra-wide, and the Canon is plenty sharp enough for me. YMMV.

We took a Sigma 10-20mm on a 30d to NYC,

goto the Russian Samovar on 256 W 52nd St, the foods expensive and not the best but the vodka and the atmosphere are first class

lens ordered from lensesforhire.com....

Thanks for the food tips, that's always been a struggle for us as we always end up in the chain places where the food isn't great and it's just like a conveyor belt.

Staying in W New York on Lexington this time... And we will have our little boy with us. So although Russian vodka is tempting, it'll be a no-go!

If anyone else has more tips, I'd love to hear em!

peterc2609 said:
lens ordered from lensesforhire.com....

Thanks for the food tips, that's always been a struggle for us as we always end up in the chain places where the food isn't great and it's just like a conveyor belt.

Staying in W New York on Lexington this time... And we will have our little boy with us. So although Russian vodka is tempting, it'll be a no-go!

If anyone else has more tips, I'd love to hear em!

Oh and I got the canon 10-22!

Just spoke to my NYC mate and she said as your staying in the Upper East Side
try:

Ottomanelli NY Grill (good steaks)
Shake Shack (good burgers)
Papaya King (awesome hotdogs)

She says there are really good restaurants on 3rd Avenue which is the next road along ->

HTH
McShug

Insurance, insurance, insurance

Be covered

Thanks... I'll have a look at the restaurants...

Insurance... I've got American Express Platinum so get Travel Insurance with it.... Meant to be spot on, no excess etc.

Back