Best Lens

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I have a job photographing a football team tomorrow. Ideally they are looking for a squad photo and head shots of all players. From my kit what lens would be best for:

a) squad photo;
b) head shots.

My kit is 50mm 1.8; 80-200mm 2.8; and 16-85mm 3.5-5.6

These will be taken early morning outside, so would you also have any advise regarding settings and best position of the sun (if visiable). Portriat photography is a little out of my comfort zone.

50mm for the portraits, set about f/4-5.6 gives you plenty of sharpness and depth of field. Then the 16-85mm for the group, keeping the sun (even if it is behind cloud) behind you, so the players are facing the sun, same with the portraits.
For the individuals the easiest would be to find a dot or something on the ground, put the camera on a tripod and just tell each player to stand on the dot...press the shutter button, and call the next person to stand on the dot.

50mm for the portraits, set about f/4-5.6 gives you plenty of sharpness and depth of field. Then the 16-85mm for the group, keeping the sun (even if it is behind cloud) behind you, so the players are facing the sun, same with the portraits.
For the individuals the easiest would be to find a dot or something on the ground, put the camera on a tripod and just tell each player to stand on the dot...press the shutter button, and call the next person to stand on the dot.

Why would you keep the sun behind you? If its is bright, you will have all players squinting?
I would say, find a naturaly shaded area and if that's not possible have the sun behind the player and use a reflector for fill light, or fill flash.

Head shots, I would indeed go for the 50mm lens and 16-85 for group shots.

Well as opposed to shooting into the light and getting a blown sky/under exposed players. If it is bright enough for them to be squinting then fair enough, you are right.

Back