Best lenses for wedding on crop sensors from list below

WHAT WOULD YOU TAKE IN YOUR BAG FROM THE LIST SHOWN?

• worst for, focal range, sharpest image quality, multi uses,

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
STEPHEN
Edit My Images
No
Cannon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L is usm II
Cannon EF 70-200mm F4L USM ,
Cannon EF 24-105 F4L IS ,
Cannon EF85mm f1,8 usm ,
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM ,
Cannon EF 100mm Macro usm,
Cannon EFS 55-250mm is,
Cannon EFS 18-55MM

I'd put the 17-55mm constant F2.8 on that list. It's a lovely thing and the extra stop or two would likely come in very handy, it's the closest thing Canon makes to a crop L lens.

Thanks Landwomble for that but the lenses above are what i have to choose from as i have a wedding Saturday and did not want to carry them all around as well as tripod and speedlites

Stephen,

It might be a good idea if you were to post this thread in the Equipment section, you'd get a lot more response as this section of the forum is really just for welcoming new members etc.(y)

George.

i did not think could till i had posted 3 times thanks for that G.K. Jnr appreciated , i have just visited there i see you have already posted it or put it on somehow thank you appreciated greatly

Last edited:
How many did you want to take..?

I'd take the Canon 70-200 2.8 and 24-105 and also the Sigma just incase..

Thats is what i was more or less settled on but thought the Macro too for close ups and im in a pickle over the Sigma as its an ultra wide but not sure if on the 550D and 70D i need to allow for the 1.6 crop as its specifically built for the crop sensor someone told me a while back , but then i was told it still applies ? so with the factor it may be handy for the group shots 50 to 60 as it would make it a something like • 16-32mm (1.6x APS-C) so may come in handy

Forget about crop factor for now, all the numbers on the lenses are comparable on the camera, 50mm on the 18-55 is the same as 50mm on the 24-105.

The 24-105 should cover you for pretty much everything you need, with maybe the 85mm for low light long reach and the 10-20 for wider (but I would caution to be very careful of perspective distortion if using that lens).

Thanks for that Nawty very much appreciated must say the response has been far better than i had expected i have posted questions some times on so called forums and got as good as nothing back over days and days or sarcasm , I think this will be the only forum i use from now on my mind has been put at ease thank you all

Thanks for that Nawty very much appreciated must say the response has been far better than i had expected i have posted questions some times on so called forums and got as good as nothing back over days and days or sarcasm , I think this will be the only forum i use from now on my mind has been put at ease thank you all

No worries :)

For the future, it helps if you put as much context as possible in your original post, I saw this thread yesterday and didn't really know what to say so I didn't say anything.

It would have been better to say, I have a Canon 70D and these lenses, which would be best for a wedding.

Or, even better you could have also said under what capacity you're photographing the wedding, are you just a guest, have some friends asked you to take some shots, is it family, are you getting paid etc etc.

Somewhere in there was the facts that i was shooting with 2 bodies Cannons EOS 550D AND EOS 70D also that it was a good friends wedding but i was not the quickest of navigators in time will get better around your forum also ended up posting a poll somehow DOH !!! sorry for any misunderstandings it is also a early morning shoot 10-30 am so hopefully bright sunlight a no show till done anyway fingers crossed :ty: :)

Last edited:
are you covering this wedding as first camera or just going as a guest ?

In the latter case i'd say one body one lens probably the 70D with the 24-105

f you are covering it and havent done it before you need to travel light and move fast - i'd say the 24-105 on the 70D and the 70-200 f2.8 on the 550D, take the 85mm f1.8 for dark venues and general back up (and maybe pick up a nifty as well - cheap as chips) - plus get yourself a flash gun if you don't already have one - you won't be able to use it for the service but it will be useful t the reception.

plenty of spare batteries and spare cards

covering it and havent done it before you need to travel light and move fast - i'd say the 24-105 on the 70D and the 70-200 f2.8 on the 550D, take the 85mm f1.8 for dark venues and general back up (and maybe pick up a nifty as well - cheap as chips) - plus get yourself a flash gun if you don't already have one - you won't be able to use it for the service but it will be useful t the reception.

plenty of spare batteries and spare cards
Thanks for this Big soft moose have 2 x 430 ex II SPEEDLIGHTS ONE FOR EACH IF NEEDED TWO BATTERIES FOR EACH OF THE BODIES AND A san disk extreme pro SDHC/UHS-1 32GB AND A 16 GB OF THE SAME FOR EACH plus chargers for them , I have been told i will be allowed to use flash in the service at certain times entry down the aisles in and out and the kiss and exchange of the ring also mock registry signing they are very photographer friendly, they will allow 3 shotys of each they said they know the light is a problem photographers have commented on it before theres a huge window the one end but the sun hits it and bosh

Last edited:
If you are shooting against that window without fill flash you'll need to meter carefully or you are going to wind up with underexposed subjects - better to spot meter on the couple and let the window blow (or to take a bracketted set and combine them in PP (which is only viable if they are standing still)

conversely if you are shooing across the light you need to watch out for over exposure on the brightly lit bits, particularly the dress - although i once blew out the top of the best mans head (he was very light blonde) - if you camera has it consider activating blinky highlights , and in both instances shoot raw for maximum recoverablity

Thanks Big soft moose you have been big help appreciated i have the info off the top 3 shots shots so that is were i will start from and take a quick look see how they look, bit i am looking to get most shot with the window behind me and from either side when possible ,they enter from a side room and entrance door which is well lit then come down straight in front coming to wards the window so hopefully ok , have me a ezylite box aswell for the flash if when needed think they work better than the little strip that pulls out the 430 ex IIflash .

nae problem - you'll get more and better advice if you post in talk people and portraits - the likes of @Phil V , Hugh (@boyfalldown ), @Marcus Geezer (and others) are well worth listening to and make me look like an amateur

Thanks Landwomble for that but the lenses above are what i have to choose from as i have a wedding Saturday and did not want to carry them all around as well as tripod and speedlites
What's the tripod for?
This saved you some needless hassle :)

that - I shoot nearly every wedding hand held as tripods are just too restrictive - I very occasionally use a monopod if using a 70-200 in low light

If you are shooting against that window without fill flash you'll need to meter carefully or you are going to wind up with underexposed subjects - better to spot meter on the couple and let the window blow (or to take a bracketted set and combine them in PP (which is only viable if they are standing still)

conversely if you are shooing across the light you need to watch out for over exposure on the brightly lit bits, particularly the dress - although i once blew out the top of the best mans head (he was very light blonde) - if you camera has it consider activating blinky highlights , and in both instances shoot raw for maximum recoverablity

I had to read that twice.
:D

nae problem - you'll get more and better advice if you post in talk people and portraits - the likes of @Phil V , Hugh (@boyfalldown ), @Marcus Geezer (and others) are well worth listening to and make me look like an amateur

Just seen this and Pete you are super awesome, never forget that! Lenses on a crop for weddings? My go to are 35 and 85 prime on full frame, so roughly a 24mm and 50mm on each of your crop camera's. But they are not on your list, so hey ho. From your list the following should do you fine.

Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L is usm II
Canon EF 24-105 F4L IS

Unless of course they are actually Cannon lens and not Canon, then they probably won't.

Although this may start an argument, you really should be looking at full frame for weddings if you want to really to push the limits of high ISO shooting plus to have the oozy smoothness that you get with full frame. I rarely use on camera flash nowadays and did some one mention a tripod?

What?

Why?

Back