Best Macro Flash for Canon ??

what are you attempting to do exactly???? each unit will favour certain scenarios....

I'd suggest the MT-24EX - twin flash, expensive though - almost required on the MP-E, but can work with others (although not tried myself yet) and for the 100mm L you'd need a 67mm adapter.

As in your thread about Macro lenses, a simple flash gun diffused will work.

Based on some of your questions, it comes across to me that you're expecting to get all this fancy gear and suddenly be producing insanely good macro shots. I can assure you that is not going to happen. Macro is hard, requires patience and a very steady hand.

I have a Speedlite 430 EX II. I don't have it mounted at the side, I have it on the hot shoe but it is diffused. I will mount it at the side of the camera at some point but in the meantime, as already mentioned in your "what macro lens" thread, have a look at my Gallery.

Sigma 105 Macro lens, Speedlite 430 EX II flash. No big expensive twin flashes (although they are very good).

http://ipc.smugmug.com/Close-Ups-Macro/Macro/4928508_h2LBHR#!i=1766227394&k=9ZbKsTt

As in your thread about Macro lenses, a simple flash gun diffused will work...

...Macro is hard, requires patience and a very steady hand.

A lot of patience is required. Getting in this close gives a tiny depth of field, so there is very little in focus. Think a millimeter or two. Holding a camera steady, with that accuracy, while chasing a moving subject is hard :)
It is possible to get good results with much cheaper kit. For one of mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56025993@N03/6777379349/ This was taken using a reverse mount (<£5) and a standard zoom lens. I used a basic flash, (possibly the Yong Nuo YN468 ~£60 new) and a set of wireless flash triggers which you can get from £10. Just held the camera in my right hand and flash in the left and kept trying untill I managed to get a few shots I was happy with.

Ian, I really like the Ladybirds :) They seem much clearer than I could manage earlier.

Back