Best macro lens please

The 100L is a fantastic lens for 1:1 if you want to go more than 1:1 without tubes then the MPE

sigma 150 for my money, seems to always rate very highly, and a lot cheaper than canon/nikon. Sharp and clear, if I was more into macro that is what I would get.

As it is, I'm all heath robinson, with revering rings and extension tubes lol...

Was having a look at the sigma though my head keeps telling me to go canon. I guy on here has just shown some shots with the sigma and they do look pretty good.
Is the IS version of the canon 100mm macro worth the extra money over the older non IS

Another nod for the Sigma 150mm - find mine rapidly becoming more & more used..

I used to have the Sigma 150 before moving to m43. Loved it to bits, the extra working distance comes in useful over and over again (and it works well with the 1.4tc for even more!).

However, an MP-E65 would be extremely difficult to pass up if I shot Canon. Depends whether super-macro capabilities are important to you, I guess.

Last edited:
Not that it really matters but can you use the sigma 150 for portraits or is it mainly for macro

Not that it really matters but can you use the sigma 150 for portraits or is it mainly for macro

I use a 150mm OS for portraits , it has a lovely bokeh , but it may be a little long on a crop sensor depending on how much room you have.

With such financial flexibility, yeah I'd consider either the Canon 100L, the Sigma 105 OS or the MPE-65 and appropriate lighting.

Have you ever shot Macro? If so, I'd hold on the MPE (my own personal opinion).

The 100 L was the first L lens I bought (along with a 100-400 L at the same time) and it's still the only lens I'd go for to shoot macro. I got an MP-E65 at one point and even took the time to design and build a flash kit for it (similar to the £500+ mt24ex flash) that cost around £100 and it worked really well. However, after an accident I eventually found it too hard to use handheld so I sold it on. I managed to get some great photos from it but nowhere near as many as the 100 L.

Back