Best Magazine?

After many years of magazine buying, reading and hoarding, the one I subscribe to is Amateur Photographer. Repeats itself far less often than the monthlies and is out once a week. Loads of ads in the back which some hate (they tend to be very similar from week to week but make interesting reading a few years later! £999 for a D70 + 18-70 kit lens?) but I find a handy reference guide to what I can't justify!

Worth keeping an eye out for good deals and gifts on offer to new subscribers (for all the mags) and cover gifts.

yes got to agree with Nod, Amateur Photographer for me i've been a subscriber for 6 years now and have a healthy pile building up :LOL:

I'd say Amateur Photographer but to be honest its taking us less and less time to read it as by the time it arrives a lot of the "announcements" and "reviews" we've already read online from various sites.

Not a criticism of AP though, its the same for any print magazine.

Hi there - I mix and match depending. Sometimes it is the Canon magazine Photoplus, or Advanced Photographer but I do get Amateur P most weeks but not all. They do get a bit repetitive - I suppose that's why I have never had a sub to any of them. L

I just keep getting the mini subscriptions to various magazines, usually £3 for 3 editions and a free gift as well. Depending on what the 'free gift' is depends on what magazine I get. I've recently got a tripod for off camera flash from Digital SLR Photography and I've got a messenger bag on the way. As it's only a mini subsciption there's no repetition so I don't get bored with them.

Pretty much as above, tend to periodically get the 3for £3, 5 for £5 etc.

Used to get them regularly, but have reduced it over the past year or so as they tend to repeat themselves.

I have a subscription for PhotoPlus which I find a great mag....So long as you're a Canon user :)

I don't really think that there is one stand-out photo mag, all of them repeat articles/features from time to time and adverts seem to be becoming increasingly annoying. I think the best idea is not to subscribe to any one mag but pop into the newsagents etc now and again and just buy one if it catches your eye

Simon

I have a subscription for PhotoPlus which I find a great mag....So long as you're a Canon user :)

Think they've brought out a Nikon one as well now - cant remember what it's called though...

Last edited:
I tend to get DigitalPhoto. It comes with a disc with around 6/7 good Photoshop tutorials and the magazine is packed with information.

One thing I hate about Photography Magazines is that they always seem to be trying to sell something. That's not what in interested in. I just want the tips and tricks, and DigitalPhoto does that fine.

I had Amateur Photographer magazine on the iPad for a little while. It is fine, better than most - especially for the in-depth tutorials (there was a scientist writing about how to achieve critical focus which I found very useful). But DigitalPhoto seems to suit me more.

Whatever you do, don't get What Digital Camera magazine - biggest pile of crap I have ever had the misfortune of reading.

Cheers,

Sid.

Last edited:
"Black and White Photography" is my favourite. It concentrates more on photographers and photos and only has a few pages for new equipment and Photoshop guides.

Obviously the Black and White side of it may be off putting to some!

A lot of the ipad versions of the magazines give a free trial subscription. You set it up for monthly or annual sub through the ipad app. You can then download the free issue and cancel the sub in your iTunes account later if you don't want it to continue.

After many years of magazine buying, reading and hoarding, the one I subscribe to is Amateur Photographer. Repeats itself far less often than the monthlies and is out once a week. Loads of ads in the back which some hate (they tend to be very similar from week to week but make interesting reading a few years later! £999 for a D70 + 18-70 kit lens?) but I find a handy reference guide to what I can't justify!

Worth keeping an eye out for good deals and gifts on offer to new subscribers (for all the mags) and cover gifts.

AP is complete and utter crap, and its forum is even worse.

You are far better buying one of the monthlies like Pratical Photography. At leat with that magazine the writers seem to know something about photography

"Black and White Photography" is my favourite. It concentrates more on photographers and photos and only has a few pages for new equipment and Photoshop guides.

Obviously the Black and White side of it may be off putting to some!

This is the only one I subscribe to.

I used to get AP too, but it seems to be a bit too flimsy and lightweight now.

I think digital slr photography is a good read....good mixture of reviews, articles, how to's and Photoshop/Lightroom!

After reading this thread I've just had a look at the latest n photo and that is very good also so gonna start reading that

I get a few on subscription but I am going to cancel Photography Monthly soon as it's gone downhill.....

As a Pentax and Nikon user I get frustated about their group tests, which lack a Pentax item - brilliant when a Canon EF and Nikkor scoop the prizes for the best macro, for instance, but only one lens in the test of 6-7 lenses fit my K-5....SNARL!

My vote goes to Outdoor Photography

I have a subscription for outdoor photographer. I know that most magazines do the adverts and the reviews, which is what they are supposed to do, but outdoor photographer also gives some very good locations guides and some handy information on wildlife. I also find that they don't repeat quite as much as some of the others.

Online I currently subscribe to Landscape Photography Magazine and F11 magazine, F11 is defiantly worth looking at considering its free.

I think digital slr photography is a good read....good mixture of reviews, articles, how to's and Photoshop/Lightroom!

This is the one I get semi-regularly but I'm still something of a newbie when it comes to photography. I love their budget photography section where each month they review some shonky Chinese knock off version of popular products to see if they're actually any good.

I used to get several but dont have the time to read them
Now I get
1. AP - Bonus getting it through the door every week (subscription was £17.00 for 3 months), good mixture of news, articles, a historical vintage camera section which no one else does
2. Digital SLR photography - the best mag to browse and 'look at' for photos and ideas
3. Practical Photography - good all rounder

I subscribe to Black n White mag. Though I wish it had a bit more Film content. THe other downside is that half the mag is adverts (I guess every mag has this though).

I'm currently trying out a digital mag called Focus magazine. Looks interesting !
focusmag.info

I subscribe to Black n White mag. Though I wish it had a bit more Film content. THe other downside is that half the mag is adverts (I guess every mag has this though).

I'm currently trying out a digital mag called Focus magazine. Looks interesting !
focusmag.info

I wonder if there is a sufficient market for a film only magazine.... might have to fill a lot of it with lomo stuff, but I imagine it could work.

I wonder if there is a sufficient market for a film only magazine.... might have to fill a lot of it with lomo stuff, but I imagine it could work.

Probably not, to make money it would probably need an even more annoying level of adverts!

Saying that, it would have potential to be a good read as not much to talk about with new equipment, keeping up with all the changes etc,. so should concentrate on actual photography (interviews, artist showcases, critique etc,.) which is where Black and White is ahead of most magazines.

Back