Best medium-format camera for a newbie?

Name
Charlotte
Edit My Images
Yes
Well.... I went to drop off my Cosina to get its light seals fixed at the fantastic Mr Cad, and had a bit of a mooch over to the medium format section.

It's not like I need any MORE cameras, but... if I were to start in the wonderful world of medium-format, can anyone recommend me a good camera to start with? Something coupled with a light meter would be best (I was looking at a Mamiya 645 but I don't think it came with a light meter?), relatively cheap would also be nice but I know that can be a rarity with medium format :)

.. or folder or rangefinder?

argh oh god I didn't realise I'd have to make decisions! ;)

I've never used rangefinders, only SLR 35mm cameras.

645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9 ?

its always my first thought/concern......format

then its what I want to shoot

then its lens range/availability and cost :)

I went down the TLR route, 6x6 square format, and absolutely adore it. 6x4.5 was basically just a bigger 35mm negative (I wasn't having too many problems with 35mm size wise), 6x7 cameras are absolutely enormous and are more suited to landscape work, whereas 6x6 included TLRs which are one of the best budget ways to get into medium format, they are often very charming cameras as well as being discreet - you are looking downwards, so less chance of your subject realising that you are taking a photo.

How much of a deal-breaker would not having a coupled meter be? and any ideas on approximate budget?

If you can forego the coupled meter, £20 get's you a reasonable folder and £50+ get's you a nice TLR.. plus £5-10 for a hand-held meter.

The 645 is a bit more, but there is an optional AE prism according to my copy of The Medium Format Manual.

I was leaning towards the 6x6 format, to be honest. Square photos appeal to me :) But can you get it developed easily? I don't have my own darkroom.

How much of a deal-breaker would not having a coupled meter be? and any ideas on approximate budget?

If you can forego the coupled meter, £20 get's you a reasonable folder and £50+ get's you a nice TLR.. plus £5-10 for a hand-held meter.

The 645 is a bit more, but there is an optional AE prism according to my copy of The Medium Format Manual.

If I could work out how to use a hand-held meter it would be a good start :/ I've had two of the buggers and they've either been broken or I'm just an idiot, I can't get any sense out of them! :D

Budget-wise, about £100 is my limit unless something well-recommended come up.

Last edited:
But can you get it developed easily? I don't have my own darkroom.

Many places process colour 120 film, although obviously it's more niche than 35mm. However, you don't need your own darkroom - just a changing bag (which creates a light tight environment to put the film onto developing reels) and then the rest can be done in daylight, the actual processing with the chemicals. I do it over my sink.

Hand-held meters take a bit to get used to, but once you get the hang they're ok. There's plenty of leeway on the exposure with negative film. Even without a light meter, I've got good results using a pre-written exposure computer - which I didn't believe was possible until a friend persuaded me to try it.

Hand-held meters take a bit to get used to, but once you get the hang they're ok. There's plenty of leeway on the exposure with negative film. Even without a light meter, I've got good results using a pre-written exposure computer - which I didn't believe was possible until a friend persuaded me to try it.

Maybe I'll have another shot at it then... thanks :)

Many places process colour 120 film, although obviously it's more niche than 35mm. However, you don't need your own darkroom - just a changing bag (which creates a light tight environment to put the film onto developing reels) and then the rest can be done in daylight, the actual processing with the chemicals. I do it over my sink.

I might have to have a go at it then... what could possibly go wrong?! (y)

By the way.. there's 50+ pages of ideas on the New Toy thread.. you should see something medium format on there that appeals..

I might have to have a go at it then... what could possibly go wrong?! (y)

Haha, it's pretty enjoyable and the satisfaction of shooting a roll and then actually making the images appear by your own handiwork is really great.

Back