Best Nikon long lens that can be hand held

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Guys
I'm planning a trip to Svalbard next year and had planned to buy a new Nikon 600mm f4E but this is the reply I got from the organizer of the tour.
My question
The reason I ask is I plan to have a 600mm lens for shooting wildlife and will not be able to hand old it so there will be the need for a tripod and gimbal head which is fantastic off the deck of the ship or on dry land but I would imagine impossible on a zodiac with a dozen other photographers.
When we go on land we will mostly be hiking further inland, so if you bring your heavy rig ashore you'll have to be prepared to lug them along as you have to keep close to the main group because it won't be safe to stay behind on your own as our guides are armed against the possibility of bear attacks.
The zodiac will only be used to get ashore and to explore iceberg cities and get closer to animal crowds.So your 600 will not be practical from the zodiacs.
They could be useful from the schooner deck although the engine vibration and boa th rocking will ruin you r tripod shots
A hand held long lens would be best.
I was really hoping to get the latest 600mm as a few of the videos that I have watched have showmen guys shooting it hand held.
What do you guys think???

If you decide the amount of time the 600 isnt useful then what about the 300f2.8 with both the 1.4 and 2x tc to give you options. Not to heavy and as mentioned it gives great options. If you get a good copy of the 2xtc then you can get really good results with it. There are other options now with Nikon bringing out a more budget longish lens (200-500) which is light enough and may give you the focal length you require.

Does it have to be Nikon? I use the Tamron 150-60mm VC on my D750 hand held.

I pretty much only use the Nikon 300mm 2.8 VR2 hand held... with a 1.4 attached..
Have never really got on with the 2.0....

I pretty much only use the Nikon 300mm 2.8 VR2 hand held... with a 1.4 attached..
Have never really got on with the 2.0....
I tried the 2x TC on my 70-200mm f2.8 and didn't rate it either.

Of course all this depends on your ability to handhold any long lens. 200/300mm plus 1.4 in reality is probably as far as you should be looking unless your technique is very good.

I hate Extenders
When I bought the 300mm f2.8 I bought all 3 extenders v3 latest and greatest and hated everyone of them. The 1.4 just about gave me a half decent picture but nothing compared to without it

I'm guessing you're using an FX body.... why not get a D7200 for that bit of extra 'reach' the cropped sensor will give you?

The quality will be perfectly ok unless you're planning on doing Poster/Billboard shots! It'll be lighter just for your trip ashore and trekking, especially married to a Nikon 300mm PF (and the whole package would be cheaper than a 600mm f4 :) )

Of course all this depends on your ability to handhold any long lens. 200/300mm plus 1.4 in reality is probably as far as you should be looking unless your technique is very good.
Agreed, although VC (VR) helps with this. I've no issue handholding the Tamron at 600mm and 1/320 and I don't have any special or magical technique. I may even be able to hand hold at slower shutter but I've not done any specific experiments ;)

Actually I'd forgotten about the 300 f4 PF that with a 7200 would be a very good combo....

I'm guessing you're using an FX body.... why not get a D7200 for that bit of extra 'reach' the cropped sensor will give you?

The quality will be perfectly ok unless you're planning on doing Poster/Billboard shots! It'll be lighter just for your trip ashore and trekking, especially married to a Nikon 300mm PF (and the whole package would be cheaper than a 600mm f4 :) )
I'm using a D4s and D800 right now.....................Yea I have thought about the D7200 before, but was advised against it....cant remember why.

Ian I have no problem hand holding a 300mm f2.8 on a D4s and the 600mm f4 is only 1 kg heavier so I am sure I will be able to capture grab shots but maybe not prolonged shooting hand held.

My mate Yusuf also mentioned that if I try and shoot the 600mm or anything from a tripod off the deck of the ship the engine vibrations will screw up the shots.............is there any kind of vibration dampening device that can be added below the Wimberley head or the tripod feet to counter react that vibration??

If you decide the amount of time the 600 isnt useful then what about the 300f2.8 with both the 1.4 and 2x tc to give you options. Not to heavy and as mentioned it gives great options. If you get a good copy of the 2xtc then you can get really good results with it. There are other options now with Nikon bringing out a more budget longish lens (200-500) which is light enough and may give you the focal length you require.
Mark I am also planning a trip to Ethiopia and the Masai Mara so was really hoping that the 600mm would work for both............anyway I guess the only way I will find out is to buy it and try.................unfortunately here in Malaysia they don't have them sitting on a shelf where you can try first.

Just a thought, can't you just use a monopod rather than tripod?

Just a thought, can't you just use a monopod rather than tripod?
Actually the organizer said the same in a later text message................I am also planning to have my wife sit close to me on the Zodiac as she has a nice shoulder to rest the 600mm lens on if there are any prolonged photo opportunities :) :) :) :)

If it were me - I'd save the money of the 600mm at this point. You already have the 300mm & a d800. Run that in crop mode with a 1.4 if required.

Put the lens in 'Active' as well as having 'VR' 'on' to deal with the action of the boat. Once on dry land, switch the 'Active' back to 'Normal' (Sorry if you already knew this).

I find that a big lens on a Nikon Pro body often creates a stability/balance that is not achieved on smaller bodies, which is bizarre.

However, I saw a great quote today which is contrary but sum up your dilemmas pretty well.

"A psychologist walked around a room while teaching an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it.

If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem.

If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm.

If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralysed.

In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the "heavier" it becomes."

(Courtesy of Jimmy Harmon)

Oh and if you are using a VAD (voice activated duo-pod), make sure you provide some shoulder padding ;)

Depends on what you can handheld, I can handhold all day long with no problem so can many others and others can't because of the build/age etc. I would recommend getting the 600mm f/4 and handhold it, but it all comes down to how much you can hold comfortably at the end of the day so that is your decision to make...

Joe
I'm 6'3" and used to be built like a brick s*** house. I'm now 57 years old and pretty much the same apart from the beer belly. I'm confident that I too can hand hold it and the proof will be in the pudding as I will order the lens next month and will hopefully have it by Christmas.
The Svalbard trip is confirmed for September next year and I am trying to organize a 7 day Safari in Tanzania first week of June so will be able to try it out in anger then and between December and June if I have any issues with it then I will have 6 months to get in the gym and work out :) :)
How do you like the 600mm Joe? Do you also use extenders or just stick with the 600?

Put the lens in 'Active' as well as having 'VR' 'on' to deal with the action of the boat. Once on dry land, switch the 'Active' back to 'Normal' (Sorry if you already knew this).

I find that a big lens on a Nikon Pro body often creates a stability/balance that is not achieved on smaller bodies, which is bizarre.

However, I saw a great quote today which is contrary but sum up your dilemmas pretty well.

"A psychologist walked around a room while teaching an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it.

If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem.

If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm.

If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralysed.

In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the "heavier" it becomes."

(Courtesy of Jimmy Harmon)

Oh and if you are using a VAD (voice activated duo-pod), make sure you provide some shoulder padding ;)
Fantastic thanks Ian

Joe
I'm 6'3" and used to be built like a brick s*** house. I'm now 57 years old and pretty much the same apart from the beer belly. I'm confident that I too can hand hold it and the proof will be in the pudding as I will order the lens next month and will hopefully have it by Christmas.
The Svalbard trip is confirmed for September next year and I am trying to organize a 7 day Safari in Tanzania first week of June so will be able to try it out in anger then and between December and June if I have any issues with it then I will have 6 months to get in the gym and work out :) :)
How do you like the 600mm Joe? Do you also use extenders or just stick with the 600?

Fair enough mate sounds like your be more than fine with the 600mm then, I don't have one myself but use to have a older version 400mm f/2.8 which weighted the same if not slightly more than the 600mm which I could easily work with handhold all day, now have the 500mm f/4 simply because I do a lot of plane hoping so to speak and that works best with its size meaning I can take more stuff in my hand luggage, the 500mm is like a feather in comparison well to me anyway, enjoy the 600 your love the beast!

Back