Best Nikon to Fujifim Adapter?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Morning, I’m currently using a Nikon 300 f2.8 AI on my Fujifilm X-T2 with a no name adapter, however I’ve found when shooting far away subjects, such at the moon, I can’t get the images as sharp as I’d like. Now this could be one of two things; my lens needs a service / fine tuning or my adapter is ever so slightly out of tolerance preventing me from focusing at infinity. Currently I’m leaning towards the adapter being the guilty party, probably because I’m in denial that there could be anything wrong with my lens. So what is the best adapter out there in terms of manufacturing precision? I don’t care about focal reducers (If I wanted a shorter focal length I wouldn’t lug around half a ton of super telephoto) and I don’t care about aperture rings (don’t see the point in buying G series lenses only to use them as manual lenses) but I do care about build quality and precision engineering.

Is the adapter all one block? Or does it have a couple of screws holding the centre piece in place? These are often Allen key type screws. If the latter then with some trial and error you can get focus to infinity by loosening the screws and turning the centre a cm or so at a time and retesting until you hit the sweet spot. Otherwise I'd suggest looking for an adapter that does allow adjusting, doesn't matter the make.

Thanks, I didn’t realise that you could get adjustable adapters, I have a look into one.

Morning, I’m currently using a Nikon 300 f2.8 AI on my Fujifilm X-T2 with a no name adapter, however I’ve found when shooting far away subjects, such at the moon, I can’t get the images as sharp as I’d like.

Have you checked if the lens isn't focussing beyond infinity?

With my adaptors, they all (three of them) focus well beyond infinity and I need to very carefully focus them to get subjects at infinity sharp. When I asked about this on a couple of fuji forums (years ago now), the consensus was they all did this, even the expensive ones, so they could ensure they reached infinity.

Thanks, I didn’t realise that you could get adjustable adapters, I have a look into one.

I had to do it with an M42 adapter, I was using a 200mm F4 Takumar with it and found same when I tried getting a shot of the moon. I lucked out on the adjustment and got it bang on first time, just turned it less than a quarter and I could focus to infinity. M42 is a different build though so it's easier for them to make them in 2 parts. I don't know if you can get same for Nikon. I did have a K&F concept Nikon to Fuji adapter before and it required n adjustments. They seem to be solid in general for adapters.

As myotis suggests though, do check that you're not going beyond first, most lenses do, the hard stop is usually past the point of focus

Last edited:
Back