Best online photo printing service

Name
Struan
Edit My Images
Yes
There was a photography magazine that recently ran a test of the best online photo printing services. I noticed it in WH Smith in December and I'm now kicking myself for not buying it at the time. Frustratingly, I can't recall which mag it was.

Can anyone tell me which magazine and which issue it is please? (or even just which service was recommended?)

I rarely print my own photos, so I don't want to invest in a top quality home printer; but when I do want my pics blown up, I'm happy to pay for great quality. So I'm hoping to get some independent guidance on where to send my pics.

Thanks,
Struan

i cant help on the magazine sorry. however loxley colour are fantastic and highly regarded by most on here

Hi, it would have been either Professional Photographer or Photgrapher Monthly, I read the article aswell and those are the only magazines I get. Hope this helps.

I've used of online photo & gift services!

Snapfish
Tesco photo
Photobox

I've used all three and there very good x

I will have a look in professional photographer for you in the next couple of days if you haven't already got the info

Last edited:
There was one in AP late last year, I should have it somewhere in the office.

They listed DSColour, Loxley and the print space if I recall correctly. Probably some more too.

I'm currently looking at some prints from the print space, they're not cheap but the samples they sent where excellent quality. Also they sent a 2nd set of samples without question when the 1st lot got bent my royal mail, despite the big do not bend sticker.

I've used DS Colour before for a load of 6x4s and was very happy but they don't offer the matt papers I am interested in, only lustre, glossy or pearl.

I use ds colour labs for personal or low key stuff, for paying clients loxely as I don't like the clients knowing where my prints come from and ds colour labs have it imprinted on the back

Last edited:
... I've used DS Colour before for a load of 6x4s and was very happy but they don't offer the matt papers I am interested in, only lustre, glossy or pearl.

Chris - have you found anyone who offers proper matt paper (i.e. with no surface sheen at all)?

Chris - have you found anyone who offers proper matt paper (i.e. with no surface sheen at all)?

The Print Space do a fuji matt in a photographic print or they have some giclee (inkjet) prints that are matter than matt, notably the Hahnemule Photorag which is paper with minimal texture, the rest all have textures which I am not a fan of. The rag prints do seem to suffer a lack of punch but that may be the image more than the print.

They do a sample print pack, 12ish A4 paper and print samples for £6 if your curious.

I am ordering 2 test strips which are 30x2" prints to see how they take my own images soon to see if I like the cheaper glossier Fuji or the pure matt of the photorag.

Down side: not cheap!

Pro-Am in Bradford do exceptional enlargements, really quick turnaround.

I use ds colour labs for personal or low key stuff, for paying clients loxely as I don't like the clients knowing where my prints come from and ds colour labs have it imprinted on the back

Hmm, might be wrong here but I seem to recall that was a default setting and if you use their upload software you can change it to your own text? Sure I have done that with them? Apologies if wrong, haven't used them for a few months.

The Print Space do a fuji matt in a photographic print or they have some giclee (inkjet) prints that are matter than matt, notably the Hahnemule Photorag which is paper with minimal texture, the rest all have textures which I am not a fan of. The rag prints do seem to suffer a lack of punch but that may be the image more than the print.

They do a sample print pack, 12ish A4 paper and print samples for £6 if your curious.

I am ordering 2 test strips which are 30x2" prints to see how they take my own images soon to see if I like the cheaper glossier Fuji or the pure matt of the photorag.

Down side: not cheap!

Thanks for the info Chris.

Actually, I ordered the £6 sample pack from The Print Space last year. Unfortunately the Fuji Matt paper isn't really matt - it's got a sheen (even their website describes it as 'semi-matt' so I don't know why they call it 'matt' in the first place - arrgh). The surface does look nice though and it would certainly suit images that don't require a proper matt. Btw, I wonder if it's the same paper as Fuji Crystal Archive DPII Lustre?

NB. Just to confuse things even further, Fuji do another version called Fuji Crystal Archive Deep Matte. It's advertised as lustreless but as far as I can tell it's only available in the USA. Here it is - http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products...pers_printing_materials/deep_matte/index.html

The Hahnemuhle Photorag sample from The Print Space is more like my idea of matt but (as you say) it's expensive so I ruled it out.

Last edited:
PS. Chris, Permajet do a paper that really is matt. I've got the swatch booklet and it's exactly what I'm looking for - it's called Permajet Matt Plus. Unfortunately I can't find a lab that uses it. Arrrgh again :bang:

PS. Chris, Permajet do a paper that really is matt. I've got the swatch booklet and it's exactly what I'm looking for - it's called Permajet Matt Plus. Unfortunately I can't find a lab that uses it. Arrrgh again :bang:

Premier Ink sell that if you have a decent printer, seems about 50% the price of the photorag too. Mine's only an A4 so a bit small, at this rate it's soon going to be cheaper for me to just get an A3+ printer, or would be if I hadn't just put £40 of ink into my 4850.

Though I might order a box of some A4, then get a profile done.

Premier Ink sell that if you have a decent printer, seems about 50% the price of the photorag too. Mine's only an A4 so a bit small, at this rate it's soon going to be cheaper for me to just get an A3+ printer, or would be if I hadn't just put £40 of ink into my 4850.

Though I might order a box of some A4, then get a profile done.

Yes, my swatch booklet came from Premier Ink. Like you I only have a small A4 printer (a Canon) - I'd like to get an Epson R3880 but can't justify the cost at the moment.

The Matt Plus works out at 60p a sheet for A3+ so it's a bit cheaper than some of the Canon/Epson equivalents.

Pro-Am in Bradford do exceptional enlargements, really quick turnaround.

(y) for them. Just used them for a set of 10x8's and they were great. They also print at 400dpi which i thought was nice.

Last edited:
DSCL all the way! I've only ever used them once but it was the perfect service :)

Yesterday I ordered 3 A4 Portrait pictures for printing. I received them today, less than 24hrs from ordering. Happy with the quality, happy with the service. Before ordering,I emailed as to which paper type would be the best, I had a email back about 1hr later which is also good.

Last edited:
Yeah its in the "organise your zip file" section.

So it is (I didn't look in there). I wonder why they use 402ppi - most of the other labs recommend 300.

Yeah I agree the test they mention is a load of old bobbins but their prints are nice and worth the faffing about with uploads.

They must be referring to the 6500k white point setting only (I always calibrate to a target of 5500k).

Ive normally used in the past and great value and fast service DSCL, thou decided on a change,

The customer service was great, after uploading file, in TIFF, i spoke to the bloke that took my order, who helped and explained why, what different papers would suit my image. :) also explained why TIFF, and setting to 360 dpi.

Customer service, and 1 to 1 service.

Look forward to print coming

http://fineartprintingforphotographers.com/

I've heard many folks say Loxley's are good? Though their services look a little pricey, I'm yet to have any thing printed so in no way to suggest the quality of work.
Plan to get some printed soon.

Greetings,

I've just used DSCL for the first time this week 5x 12x8's free (£4 odd post)...

Quality is fantastic, Very happy that they came in an unbranded box.

Only thing was the invoice in with the photos (in the plastic/Static bag) and then with DSCL logo etc. Going to email them to see if they can include but with the invoice laying on top of the photos and not in the bag.

I'm looking to use these as potential printing/shipping method so don't know if there was an option not to include invoice ?

Greetings,

I've just used DSCL for the first time this week 5x 12x8's free (£4 odd post)...

Quality is fantastic, Very happy that they came in an unbranded box.

Only thing was the invoice in with the photos (in the plastic/Static bag) and then with DSCL logo etc. Going to email them to see if they can include but with the invoice laying on top of the photos and not in the bag.

I'm looking to use these as potential printing/shipping method so don't know if there was an option not to include invoice ?

I also ordered the 5 prints, and have previously ordered with them so know their quality is top notch.

My invoice never came in the sleeve though!

I also ordered the 5 prints, and have previously ordered with them so know their quality is top notch.

My invoice never came in the sleeve though!

Must have been random. I've emailed them and response was had in 2mins!

Hi Gareth,
Thank you for your email, we can send direct to your client if you wish without an invoice or if you need we can place it separate from the prints in the parcel just mention which in the comments section on the upload.

:) Awesome

Must have been random. I've emailed them and response was had in 2mins!

Hi Gareth,
Thank you for your email, we can send direct to your client if you wish without an invoice or if you need we can place it separate from the prints in the parcel just mention which in the comments section on the upload.

:) Awesome

That's sweet! They're pretty good there!

420181_541683742531635_901521816_n.jpg

This is just a mobile phone shot linked from facebook, so doesn't do them any justice. Really happy with them though!

Back