Best online place for feeders and feed?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
As title really. Where is best? I want to do a big order and get some feeders up the garden to support all of our suburban bird friends!

I used this place for bird food

http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/

The prices seem reasonable and delivery is quick.

I can't help with the feeders because I replacing my current ones. I find they are very difficult to clean. They need a nut to be undone to release the bottom of the feeder and very quickly this become corroded and stuck.

I'm looking to using easy clean feeders where the bottom simply screws off, but they are more expensive and I don't know the best deal yet.

Don't know if the poor weather has brought the birds to the garden but its full of chaffinches and goldfinches just now.

Dave

We have quite a few birds in our garden but I am hoping to get more. I will have a look at your link, thanks!

Another thing- I was thinking Nyger seed, sunflower hearts and fatballs. Anything else I should go for? A mixed seed or some peanuts?

I find sunflower hearts/sunflower seeds are liked by all the birds.

From what I've read on a wildlife forum nyger seed has a mixed response. Some people find their nyger feeder is covered in goldfinches, others find it is largely ignored. If you have goldfinches visiting it could be worth a try.

I find fat balls will be eaten, if there is nothing else available, but find the square fat cakes are well liked, especially by starlings.

Possibly the most liked food are live mealworms. Some folks find the dried ones are also good but I've never had any success with therm. The drawback to live mealworms are that once spotted by larger birds, blackbirds and especially magpies, they will disappear very quickly, and they are not cheap.

In our garden the peanuts are often left until they go rotten, probably because there is other food available, but a couple of days ago a great spotted woodpecker was feeding on the peanuts.

Mixed seed is cheaper than straight foods but I've found the birds will often throw away what they don't like from the mixture, making it more expensive than it first appears.

Don't know if you have squirrels visiting your garden. If so, then you could have a problem. Squirrels will destroy all but the strongest of feeders and you'll probably need cages to put around the feeders.

Dave

Thanks. I think I will stick with sunflower, nyger and fat cakes. We have quite a few sparrows and finches as well as others. I will make sure to get good stong feeders too, we do have some squirrels around.

My preferred company is Living With Birds. Their suet grains (original insect flavour) are a huge hit with everything from Tits to GS Woodpeckers. For seed feeding I really like Droll Yankee's Onyx range. They are very easy to clean as the base has a twist-release that doesn't jam and the feeding perches aren't opposite each other - which means that the cleaning brush has a much clearer path through the tube.

I use the Nuttery Peanut feeder for the suet grains as it slows down the starlings (who would otherwise devour the whole lot in an hour).

There is also a feed mill on ebay that sells bulk bags of a good value mixed seed - some chopped wheat and sweetcorn but also millet etc in there. Just checked 20kg no mess bird see £21.40 delivered - its charnwoodmillingcoltd and no I'm nothing to do with them. I'm on my second bag in just over a year goes down really well with many garden birds [and snow buntings :) ]

Another thing- I was thinking Nyger seed, sunflower hearts and fatballs. Anything else I should go for? A mixed seed or some peanuts?

Ref the fat balls, now it's getting below freezing at night i bring mine in and only put them out when the birds start showing in the morning. I don't think the birds like to chip away at them when they are frozen solid and they do go mad for them when they are softer.

There is also a feed mill on ebay that sells bulk bags of a good value mixed seed - some chopped wheat and sweetcorn but also millet etc in there. Just checked 20kg no mess bird see £21.40 delivered - its charnwoodmillingcoltd and no I'm nothing to do with them. I'm on my second bag in just over a year goes down really well with many garden birds [and snow buntings :) ]

Wow! That's some attractive pricing. I've just ordered three different types to see how they go down with the Head Chef and customers.

Costco is good if you know someone with a card

Thanks all plenty of food for thought and a good tip for the fat balls. I will have a look at the various sites tomorrow.

I use a mixed seed that I pick up on the road into Selsey when we go to our caravan, the premium mix is £11 for 20kg and has been a big hit in my garden.:cool:

There are plenty of black sunflower seeds that the tits really like and the discarded seed is demolished by ground feeders such as wood pidgeons :)

I have also put out a peanut feeder this week which the blue tits love and even a parakeet has had a go at :thinking:

I'm off to check the caravan is wintering ok next weekend so will pick up a new sack as I'm nearly out :D

My preferred company is Living With Birds. Their suet grains (original insect flavour) are a huge hit with everything from Tits to GS Woodpeckers. For seed feeding I really like Droll Yankee's Onyx range. They are very easy to clean as the base has a twist-release that doesn't jam and the feeding perches aren't opposite each other - which means that the cleaning brush has a much clearer path through the tube.

I use the Nuttery Peanut feeder for the suet grains as it slows down the starlings (who would otherwise devour the whole lot in an hour).

Went with these guys in the end. Good feeders and feed all stuck up this morning. Will see what comes to feed!

you can pick up feeders on eBay relatively cheap,I bought 10 for £6.50,they are not the best quality,but given that I only use them once or twice then recycle them it suits me fine. I also buy seed/peanuts from Costco.

I know you said internet but take a trip down to poundstretcher and wilkinsons

50 fatballs for £6 and cheap feeders, don't get fleeced :)

drew

Well, the price may be right, but the customers aren't too happy. Here's the Charnwood No Mess (on the right) vs CJ's Hi Energy No Mess (left). This is after two days, the feeders were swapped after day one.

Bird%20Food.jpg

So, not much doubt as to what they prefer. However, the CJ stuff is three times the price - so it may have to be reserved for special treats (or when it really gets cold).

Back