Best place to buy Lightroom?

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I think the time has come for me to move to Lightroom. Had a quick look round the web. PCW Business has it for £186 and I can get 2.5% back via Rpoints.

^ auto link above btw, not mine.

Any better deals to be had?

The cheapest I've seen is £184. Plus you've postage etc. The 2.5% rebate still makes PCW
the cheapest. In fact when I got my copy last year there was only a few pounds different from different suppliers

John C

I've been on the trial version and am pretty much convinced to purchase now aswell. How soon before v2 is out though? Would it be prudent to wait or is upgrading not likely to cost too much?

Flashy

Looking at the fine print in the Adobe site it looks like this includes students under the age of 18 at secondary schools.

You can pick up CS3 extended and lightroom for £188 which is outstanding value! Perhaps I can persuade number one son to do my digital editing!!!

I've been on the trial version and am pretty much convinced to purchase now aswell. How soon before v2 is out though? Would it be prudent to wait or is upgrading not likely to cost too much?

Flashy

No date as yet for V2 of Lightroom. The Public beta is OK until August 2008, but don't read anything into this.

No comment from Adobe about upgrade if they bring out V2 and you've only had 1.4.1 for a month or so.

My feeling is the V2 Beta was all but finished and was put out to ensure no bugs, they hadn't found. Also tended to blunt the launch of Apples Aperture new version.

If you can sit tight until V2 comes out, it can't be far off

So the feeling is the upgrades to lightroom will be like photoshop - paid for?

Annoying prospect. maybe I will wait a month or maybe not. the upgrade cost + existing version is not likely to be that much more than a V2 I'd guess.
I like rawshooter, on which the processing side of lightroom was based, so alternative converters don't really appeal.
Don't have any students or teachers here but the info might help someone.

Robert

Adobe have released several upgrades to Lightroom V1 in the last year. Having said that the only real revision was 1.1 others have been updates to accommodate the latest cameras, plus bug/compatibility fixes

So unless they are feeling very charitable then V2 I'm sure will be a paid for upgrade. As a user of Lightroom since the PC beta nearly 2 years ago, the additional functionality of V2 will be worth the cost ( Provided it's not extortionate ) to me.

I suspect that they will no longer support new camera models with the older version. However converting to dng via the free converter should overcome that problem.

In your position if you can wait I would

John C

Back