Best place to get a domain from?

Name
Matt Thomas
Edit My Images
No
Finally sorted out the hosting that I get with Virgin Media tonight :) Now just thinking of getting a better domain name as it's sooooo long :LOL:

What do you guys use for your sites and also how do you go about getting a e-mail which has your domain in it? Like - mail@photosite.co.uk

Could you then make that foward on to your normally normal e-mail like hotmail?

Cheers

I bought mine from compila roughly £6 for 2 years for a .co.uk address I pretty sure that's about the going rate there are are numerous places that will sell you domains. As for the email address I'm not sure it's something I need to do but haven't got around to it yet

123-reg.co.uk. £2.99 for a .co.uk domain name and they're a great host for domain names. You have full control of them and can set up email easily enough with 123-reg.

123-reg.co.uk. £2.99 for a .co.uk domain name and they're a great host for domain names. You have full control of them and can set up email easily enough with 123-reg.

I buy from them, just bought .co.uk and .com for myself for 2 years.

Recommended.

Well.

I have hosting set up with another provider and I dont pay anything to set up lots of email accounts.

However, if you just want a one off email account set up, then that could be the way to go (if you're using your free hosting from virgin media).

Yea I've just been looking at 123-reg.co.uk and think I saw the bit about e-mail. Looks like it would be an extra £10 on top

I also recommend 123-reg. You don't need to pay £10 for the email unless you need a POP box. You can set up email forwarding to any addresses you want for free. So, for example, cherryrig@photosite.co.uk, would be set to forward to a hotmail or gmail account, or whatever email address you get from Virgin.

Jenny

Just set up 2 sites for friends buisness with "madhosting" £2.59 pa for .co.uk
and £19.99 pa for site hosting including 5 mail boxes.

Yea I've just been looking at 123-reg.co.uk and think I saw the bit about e-mail. Looks like it would be an extra £10 on top

I also recommend 123-reg, although I'm less impressed with their POP mail service. No SMTP server so you have to provide your own, GMail works but tags the outgoing address as a GMail address :(

Mail forwarding works well though.

Once you have signed up with 123-reg you get a control panel. You go into Email forwarding and there you can set up any number of email forwarding options. eg: fred@yourdomain.com forwards to fred@hotmail.com, wilma@yourdomain.com forwards to wilma@gmail.com, etc. It is very easy. You then pick up your emails at hotmail, gmail or wherever you are forwarding to.

Jenny

I also recommend 123-reg, although I'm less impressed with their POP mail service. No SMTP server so you have to provide your own, GMail works but tags the outgoing address as a GMail address :(

Mail forwarding works well though.

That can definitely be fixed,I've got my site email going to a virgin inbox and into outlook express and going to my gmail,I'm sure when i reply from gmail it replies with my site address...

I second what many have said, I have 3 domain names and have used 123 for 2 years with no problems whatsoever, and their costs are around the going rate. I have set up a Google mail address and forward all my mails from 123 to Google. The down side is, on some, but not all mails sent out, they add the Google address as well as your own email address (with your own doman name). I have used Google mail for a year now without a problem.

Trev

www.flickr.com/photos/trev4

I use 1and1.co.uk have three sites with them and it does what it says on the tin. I was with 123-reg.co.uk but they tried to shaft me so I told them where to go and moved everything to 1and1 Had to contact my credit card company to recover my money I paid 123-reg Only speaking as I have seen

Tim

Mine are with ukreg.com, but looking up these posts I'm not sure that they are the cheapest!

The DNS point at my mates webserver where he's kindly set me up with free webmail and *unlimited* webspace - handy for those big picture files ;)

I'll be sure to post some photos when I get a little better...

Slightly off-topic, but people should check out http://www.getdropbox.com as you get some storage space for free, which replicates across your PCs and you can buy more if required! Works well for me...

I'm still a bit unsure about the whole e-mail thing.

So if I get a domain with 123reg I get my own e-mail for the site yea

me@mysite.co.uk

That correct?

Then there is a way to forward that to go straight to my new e-mail address??

Yes, it will forward your emails to any email address but it does not store them for you. You have to have an email account to forward them to.

Jenny

Finally sorted out the hosting that I get with Virgin Media tonight :) Now just thinking of getting a better domain name as it's sooooo long :LOL:

What do you guys use for your sites and also how do you go about getting a e-mail which has your domain in it? Like - mail@photosite.co.uk

I'd certainly recommend 123-Reg.co.uk for your domain name, as someone else has also posted here.

I host my site in the USA with Hostmonster. I was a bit concerned about moving my site from the UK, as it is business critical - I previouslyy hosted with Pipex, now I think they're called WebFusion or something. :thinking:

The Hostmonster Control Panel is absolutely stacked with features and very easy to use, and they also have a 24 hour chat line - which I've used many times to sort tech problems out.

Hostgator is another US provider who have an extemely good reputation, and to be honest, I don't think there's much between Hostmonster and Hostgator. They're both far, far cheaper than anything you'll find in the UK. I've not noticed any change either in the load speed of my site now it's in the States.

Emails addresses, mail forwarders, multiple websites, multiple subdomains - these are all included free, and very easy to set up.

Back