Best Place to Get Film Developed onto CD (UK only)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, I've recently used photo express to get a roll of film developed and put onto CD. Although i'm very happy with how it turned out i'm wondering if there are any other similarly priced services that offer higher resolution scans. Photo express scans to an opened file size of around 18mp but the compressed JPEG size they give is about 1.7-2.3mp. I'm wondering if anywhere else does higher resolutions for when i'm uploading to flickr/instagram. If not i'll have to settle for photo express but wondered if anyone knew of any recommendations. Thanks!

Hi, is that 5mb opened or 5mb on disc? Photo express say that their photos are 18mb but this is when opened!

I don't know what your words mean, I'm an old person. :D
They send a link to a download and when I open the file in PS they are around 5mb, hope this helps. They also do a large scan but I haven't used this.

"Best" is obviously subjective and depends on what your priorities are. For me, best for quality is Canadian Film Lab by a long way, but best for value for money is Filmdev. I send all my C41 to them except for really important films which go to Canadian Film Lab (I haven't actually used them since they moved to Canada mind as I've not been as active shooting film recently).

I have no idea about file sizes, it's not something I've ever bothered to look at. Filmdev's medium scans are much bigger and better than what I need for social media and Flickr etc.

I don't know what your words mean, I'm an old person. :D
They send a link to a download and when I open the file in PS they are around 5mb, hope this helps. They also do a large scan but I haven't used this.

Perfect, that's answered my question!

"Best" is obviously subjective and depends on what your priorities are. For me, best for quality is Canadian Film Lab by a long way, but best for value for money is Filmdev. I send all my C41 to them except for really important films which go to Canadian Film Lab (I haven't actually used them since they moved to Canada mind as I've not been as active shooting film recently).

I have no idea about file sizes, it's not something I've ever bothered to look at. Filmdev's medium scans are much bigger and better than what I need for social media and Flickr etc.

Thanks, just downloaded the order form now... i'll try and find out what the res is for medium scans!

Thanks, just downloaded the order form now... i'll try and find out what the res is for medium scans!

Just downloaded some medium scans today. Aperture reports the following resolution stats: 3091 × 2048 (6.3 MP). EDIT: That would end up being a "19MB file when opened in Photoshop" as the jargon goes. I prefer to think in pixels!

Last edited:

In my subjective opinion, the best place is Canadian Film Lab. The colour and consistency in the scans from CFL are top notch and unmatched by any other lab in the UK or even Europe.

Now, Canadian Film Lab outwardly appears to violate your request for a UK-based operation, but Canadian Film Lab was originally UK Film Lab and they still offer a UK mailing address. I have probably sent in the neighbourhood of 500 films to UKFL/CFL over the past few years and plan to send many more.

In my subjective opinion, the best place is Canadian Film Lab. The colour and consistency in the scans from CFL are top notch and unmatched by any other lab in the UK or even Europe.

Now, Canadian Film Lab outwardly appears to violate your request for a UK-based operation, but Canadian Film Lab was originally UK Film Lab and they still offer a UK mailing address. I have probably sent in the neighbourhood of 500 films to UKFL/CFL over the past few years and plan to send many more.

I'll check out Canadian Film Lab, I'm also thinking about filmdev!

Just downloaded some medium scans today. Aperture reports the following resolution stats: 3091 × 2048 (6.3 MP). EDIT: That would end up being a "19MB file when opened in Photoshop" as the jargon goes. I prefer to think in pixels!

Great that's around the same size as photoexpress, think i'll pay a couple of pounds more for the high res ones!

Filmdev website seems to take me around in a loop and I can't size the files size options!

Filmdev website seems to take me around in a loop and I can't size the files size options!
Just drop them an email or give them a call, they're very approachable and helpful.

Last edited:
5MB is 5MB is 5MB.

Should be the same.

And by the way 5mb is 5milli bits, not Mega Bytes.

I think what you say is correct for a TIFF, but if a JPEG then a 5 MB image can actually represent the equivalent of a much larger TIFF when opened (and PS will report a larger image size). Hence, stick to megapixels to lessen confusion, IMHO.

Back