Best plastic fantastic for D7100?

Edit My Images
No
Hi All

Having taken the decision to step down to the cropped DX format for a while I'm trying to decide which small prime to partner to a Nikon D7100, my choice is either the Nikon 35mm f1.8g or 50mm f1.8g?

As much as I Like the look of a 50mm lens on full frame (which the 35mm would roughly give on a DX body) I'm also keen on the look of fast 85mm primes which is why I'm considering the 50mm, so my question is is there any disadvantages to using full frame lenses on cropped bodies?

Yep, a zoom would probably be more practical but I really want to squeeze as much image quality out of that sensor as possible!!

Matt

Nope, in fact it's often better as you just use the centre part of the glass which is usually the best part! I would still go with the 35 though personally. Second hand they go for about £85 which is a bargain imo. You could also consider the Tamron 60mm f2 which would double up for macro aswell as a fast prime.

Only weight compared to Dx versions of the same focal length. As David says, Dx sensors use only the central part of the lens's image circle when using full frame lenses but sometimes push it a bit with Dx lenses resulting in vignetting and/or corner softness. The weight issue can largely be ignored when using relatively short primes - the difference in weight between an FF example and a Dx one is ounces - comparing the 35mm f/1.8s, the Dx weighs in at 200g with the FF version being 305g, about 4oz heavier, about the weight of a battery.

Back