Best printer for on site A4 photo prints

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Looking for advice/recommendations on the best printer for doing quick high quality photo prints (probably only up to A4). Obviously this would have to take speed, quality, reliability of paper feed and ink costs in to consideration. My budget is £200.

Any help and experience greatly appreciated :)

To be honest, your budget is way way too low to meet any of your requirements. Something will have to give.

Ok I should have added that I am just starting to consider getting access to local events such as kids football awards evenings to produce decent prints on the same night so they can take them home with them. Expectation on image quality is not high so I'm not looking for a pro option...more like the better consumer options.

So you want some advice on how to knock out shoddy quality prints to make a quick buck?

Niiiiiiice.

No, I'm asking for advice on the best I can achieve on my budget. I've just set up and don't have much money to spend, but I hope by being able to offer a value service to people with small budgets I can make some money to get me going. You may be more fortunate but some of us have to start somewhere. I can't be spending upwards of £1000 on a printer right now. But thanks for your constructive advice.

Sorry to everyone else...any suggestions still welcomed.

You may want to consider, printing after the event using on-line printing. OK you will lose out on the impulsive sales on the night, but you will be able supply lab quality prints at a much lower cost.

No, I'm asking for advice on the best I can achieve on my budget. I've just set up and don't have much money to spend, but I hope by being able to offer a value service to people with small budgets I can make some money to get me going. You may be more fortunate but some of us have to start somewhere. I can't be spending upwards of £1000 on a printer right now. But thanks for your constructive advice.

Sorry to everyone else...any suggestions still welcomed.

In which case apologies!

Mike made a very good suggestion if you can't afford to buy a Dye-sub from the outset. Take your orders on the night (including payment) and then get them processed through a decent pro lab.

To set yourself up for on-site selling, all you need is a laptop, a decent (ish) monitor and some appropriate software. Loads of people use Lightroom as an injest, display and sales tool.

The most important part of non-printing on-site sales is your workflow (apart from your sales technique that is). Get that sorted (and practised) and you should be fine.

Last edited:
My advice would be to forget the inkjet and listen to whats been said. There are more profitable ways to spend your £200 but not on an inkjet for event work.

mike weeks said:
POAH,

a dye sub is a dry to dry process covered in a clear sealed layer so no smudging, no problems with moisture and you can put straight in a mount - try that with an inkjet

A professional is as a professional does - want to be a professional, then think, act and treat your customers like a professional.

Mike

Never had a problem putting my inkjets in a mount as soon as they have printed but that's not the same as saying they are crap

Alan , there is a chap who goes under the name of 'Busters Delight' on here who is selling a dye sub (a HiTi P510).

You could pick up asecond hand dyes sub to do up to 6x9" for a few hundred quid, but just beware, and check in with guys like Mike or Graham. :)

You mention a printer for supplying quick high quality prints possibly upto A4. May help if we knew under what circumstances you will be using the printer?

Snapzz, as mentioned, it would typically be events evenings with a number of kids being photographed with the option of buying prints for under £10. Customer purchase to printed delivery would be required within the half hour.

Best option would be a DNP DS40 or similar. These machines have a print range from 6x4 upto 9x6 with speed from (approx) 6secs for 6x4 upto 17secs for the 9x6. Cost per print again 6x4= 8p per print and 9x6= 22p all +vat of course. The DNP range also are able to offer gloss and/or matt (more of a satin finish) with no media change. Average selling price for 9x6 is £10 supplied in a strut mount and clear front bag.
Hope this helps (y)

Alan, best you are made aware of what is on the market as a whole, so that would be
DNP DS40, Fuji ASK2500, Fuji ASK300, Hiti P510, Kodak 605, and Mitsubishi CPD70/707.

I would suggest the P510K as opposed to the P510S, as it has a bigger viewing screen.

Is this much of a disadvantage if I'm using it alongside a laptop? Especially as the P510S is available second hand and not the P105K! What would you think is a good price for the P105S second hand (as new)?

If I may make a suggestion at this point would you concider investing £60 of your hard earned money and attend this http://www.amiando.com/AEON__2012_05_24.html

I know I'm blowing my own trumpet somewhat but there will be a small trade show from Photomart present plus demonstrations of printers plus a good insite into stating an event business with some excellent tips. What you will learn from this could acually save you money (y)

Very sorry for the plug (not really :LOL:).

What about hiring a Dye Sub for the first few events, rather than investing in the kit straight away.

Having said that it amazes me when folks start saying that £1000 is a lot for a printer, yet spend much more than that on other kit, only to be let down by inferior prints at the end. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link so they say. BTW that's just a general observation not a dig at the OP.

Is this much of a disadvantage if I'm using it alongside a laptop? Especially as the P510S is available second hand and not the P105K! What would you think is a good price for the P105S second hand (as new)?

If you were going to use it with a laptop, then you may as well look at any other dye sub.

There was a chap called 'Busters delight' who was selling a P510 actually, may in in items for sale.

Someone is selling a Mitsubishi CP9550DW for £600 on the EPS forum.

Sorry, just seen that the printer has now been sold.

Back