Best sensor cleaners

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

After a trip out doing some low light stuff, i've noticed some dust spots on my 20d's sensor. They only show up on the shots with a small aperture f22 and above,

whats the best product for cleaning them?

I looked on the warehouse express site, and some of the cleaning products on there weren't approved by Canon....are there any that are? :)

I use Eclipse fluid and sensor swabs.

My guess is that the only thing recommended by Canon would be sold by Canon.

digitalfailure said:
I looked on the warehouse express site, and some of the cleaning products on there weren't approved by Canon....are there any that are? :)

I dont think so.
You get one free clean from Canon under warranty I think, but that's yer lot. After that it's a chargable affair.

The general concensus that the majority of this earth's population will tell you that the Copperhill method of Pecpads and Eclipse / Sensorswabs (which are pretty much pecpads prewrapped round the swab for you), is the way to go.

Matt's done it a few times (the consolation of having full frame).
I've got the stuff here to do it, but my goobers only show up at f16 and above, so I'm not in any big rush to do it yet.

As yours are only showing up at f22 and above, then I'd be tempted to wait. Unless there's a huge abundance of them of course.
That is, unless, someone advises that the longer you leave it, the harder they become to remove? Im not sure on that one.

i have some that i got off Fleabay that i am going to review, they look pretty good so i will let you know when im done

got a bag to review first otherwise Bod will get upset...

I've cleaned my 20D 5 or 6 times now. Copperhill does the job and is cheap per clean once you have the eclipse and pec pads.

I have a rocket blower and if one or 2 bits of dust show themselves then that is often enough to sort them out. Sometimes a speck just does not move and then the only way is the wet method of copperhill. Usually a single swipe will shift it although once it took 6 repetitions to get it truely clean.

If you have a good light and good eyes you can see the dust when you look at the sensor. And remember you are cleaning a hard glass IR filter cover not the sensor.

Nikon don't approve of anything at all - you're supposed to take it back to Nikon for cleaning.
Alright for me as a Pro User, but a tad expensive for y'all...

Use a wet finger and some brillo pad.

Or if you think that's a bit OTT, use any of the swabs/solutions out there but be careful.

I solve the problem by never changing lenses if I can avoid it. Always turn the camera off if you do, do it indoors and always shield the body from the wind if you can't manage that.

And be quick about it.

And keep a body cap on the camera if it's in your bag - the amount of photographers I see with no caps on thier lenses or bodies is simply staggering. Look after your kit.

Some very wise words there chief.

I personally am quite anal about my lens changes. I only change when I need to, and even then I line the new lens up, with the cap loosened. Then loosen the old lens, point camera down and in true New York "Find the pea" hustler style, I swap them over.

Id never put stuff in my bag without a cap on, thats just asking for trouble.

Canon recommend using a bulb blower to clean the sensor in their cameras.
They are now in the process of revising this, as the blower actually puts more debris onto the sensor than it takes off.

We should hear about their new recommended technique shortly (according to CPS magazine).

I've made a mad dash into town to try and get some materials to clean the little dust spots off, the only thing I could get was a blower which claims to have some fancy valving to stop it from sucking up the crud as it falls.

One shop said that no manufacturer allows sensor cleaning, another said they'll be getting pec pads in after christmas......none of that helps me though :doh:

I'm pretty careful when i change lenses, and even when I do decide to swap one over, it's done very quickly with the body facing the ground. still, I suppose somethings got to get in there after a year.

Marcel said:
You get one free clean from Canon under warranty I think, but that's yer lot. After that it's a chargable affair.

That is true Bod, Anyone cleaning their sensor for the first time can expect a few nerves but believe me I cleaned my 20D around 4 or 5 times and have done my 1DMk2 once up to now.

Its a straight forward maneuver if you follow the instructions carefully..;)

Back