Best set-up for aviation shots.

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
Theres a small Free-flight plane show coming up next week and if the weather is on my side i`ll want to have a go at some shots.
My equipment comprises of
Nikon D750
Tamron 150-600 G2
I use BBF

Tell me please whats the best for me to use, I know a fast shutter speed is best and to bump up the ISO to help this but I need more help with other bits like
Do I stick it in AFC Auto
or
AFC S
or
AFA Auto or S

also the metering, what one to use.
Your thoughts please people.
Thanks

What aircraft are you shooting? If propeller then you want a SS of 1/200 to 1/320 as a max to get the prop blur, I think shooting in the sky at 1/1200 with no blur looks pretty naff! I have the Tamron 150-600 on a D750 too and you will get a lot of misses and blurred shots. If jets then 1/1000 min but he faster the better.

I shoot on C focus and set the lens from (15m-infinity). Stand with your legs apart and get comfy and try to shoot in a nice sweeping moment on high speed.

I like to shoot manual as you often need to over expose on the sky, so SS is my baseline then ISO as low as possible with aperture around f8-11.

In PP you will often need to bring shadows out and boost saturation and contrast.

Last edited:
What aircraft are you shooting? If propeller then you want a SS of 1/200 to 1/320 as a max to get the prop blur, I think shooting in the sky at 1/1200 with no blur looks pretty naff! I have the Tamron 150-600 on a D750 too and you will get a lot of misses and blurred shots. If jets then 1/1000 min but he faster the better.

I shoot on C focus and set the lens from (15m-infinity). Stand with your legs apart and get comfy and try to shoot in a nice sweeping moment on high speed.

I like to shoot manual as you often need to over expose on the sky, so SS is my baseline then ISO as low as possible with aperture around f8-11.

In PP you will often need to bring shadows out and boost saturation and contrast.

Thanks, I said small and it is small, a F16 and a Rafale (Eurofighter) plus some Acrobatic stuff oh and some Spanish helicopters and some ancient planes if we are lucky.
Last year was full sun and the year before was full cloud :eek: so who knows what this year brings.
I have a monopod if that helps.

Thanks, i`ve not got a gimbal :-(

hand held is fine only point towards the sky when your taking shots to stop fatigue setting in on your arms remember to pan with the plane don't try to fill the frame with the plane as you might miss a bit of it due to you breathing
better to zoom in on the computer and crop it on the screen that way you should get it all in
use af-c with single point focus +back button focus
i also would use +1 or more stops exp comp check if its enough if not up the anti another bit till your happy
i also use auto iso

hand held is fine only point towards the sky when your taking shots to stop fatigue setting in on your arms remember to pan with the plane don't try to fill the frame with the plane as you might miss a bit of it due to you breathing
better to zoom in on the computer and crop it on the screen that way you should get it all in
use af-c with single point focus +back button focus
i also would use +1 or more stops exp comp check if its enough if not up the anti another bit till your happy
i also use auto iso
Thanks Holty, I`ve never used Auto ISO, Is that on "M" or "P" mode ?

i use auto iso in aperture or shutter speed modes
i can be also used in manual but don't know about p mode

i use auto iso in aperture or shutter speed modes
i can be also used in manual but don't know about p mode
Maybe I am getting a little confused lol, yeah its one of them anyhow.
Thanks i`ll have a play see what comes up best.

Back