best settings for snow?

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Lots of it here, some people get a blue tinge to the image when they shoot snow, whats the best settings to use to counter that?

the blue tinge is usually a reflection of the colour of the sky. As for snow fooling the meter dial in +1 or +2 stops of compensation. If that fails, photoshop :wink:

Shoot in RAW and play about with it after. They do mainly come out under exposed so I come up a couple of stops from the what the meter reading says.

For film use a warm-up filter and overexpose 1-2 stops. For digi shoot on RAW and leave the camera white balance on auto - then tweak in Photoshop using the RAW interface.

thanks guys, got some shots in the members gallery and in my gallery, check em out!

What about for cameras that cannot shoot in RAW (like mine), just a few stops up on the old exposure compensation?

Kimmett

Can you set a custom white balance on your camera Kimmet? if you can, try shooting the scene for the balance first and the rest should come out fine, though you will still need to overexpose a bit.

Aha! I also have a couple of shots in the members gallery in my 'Miscellaneous' Folder.

Plus if Kimmet's camera cannot shoot RAW, it's unlikely to be able to do custon white balance...
Shoot on auto and fettle it in photoshop - that's what it's for - you'll never get it exactly right with a mid-range digi camera.

A few weeks ago I took a trip out to photograph the snow, and I put on a polarizer, set the file to raw, and added a few stops of exposure, based on the histogram. I set my 10d to show the image for 8 secs with the info & histogram, based on what Steve has said in another thread. It worked great.

I'll post some of my attempts on the member's gallery for everyone's vewing pleasure, or disgust :D

Back