Best sharp alternative to Nikon 18-55mm kit lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys!
I'm looking for a good alternative for my Nikon 18-55mm lens. I would like a good, sharp lens.

I'm looking at Sigma 17-50mm f:2.8 OS and Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM. Any thoughts on those? or any other lenses you could recommend?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
Not sure either of your suggestions are an upgrade for the Nikkor 17-55 but probably would be for the kit 18-55.

The Nikon 17-55 was a pro-spec lens released in the days when the major camera manufacturers took crop sensor cameras seriously. I’d be surprised if there is a replacement available that would offer a noticeable improvement in IQ. The only thing lacking is optical stabilisation. I’d be inclined to keep it and spend the money on an ultra wide or tele, depending on the sort of subjects you’re interested in.

ditto with @yzfmike.

The only more recent one is the mindlessly expensive 16-80/2.8-4 which was sold as a "kit" lens with the D500. Has a good reputation and useful range down to 24mm FF and to 120mm

Have had neither the 17-55 nor this 16-80. I use a Tamron 17-50/2.8 XR Di ii A16N ( with AF motor ). Very good optics and fast but noisy AF - similar to the Sigma of the same range - and really really cheap.

EDIT: re @chrism_scotland 's comment - there was a VC ( stabilised ) version of that Tamron for Nikon but when I was trying to decide between those and the sigma, the non-stabilised version of the Tamron appeared to come out best optically.

Would probably go for the sigma now only because I have a Nikon Z also and the sigma is said to work with that. My Tamron makes horrendous noises trying to AF on the FTZ - tried once only.

Last edited:
Its been a long time since I had one but the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 was always a nice, sharp lens but comes from that era of Sigma where you had to "get a good one" as QC didn't seem quite as tight as it is now.

The Tamron 17-50 already mentioned by others is similarly good albeit it didn't offer OS, I had a Sony DSLR at the time with build in IBIS so that didn't bother me too much

Back