Best Standard range canon lens?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm planning on going on a tour of America next year and want to take a maximum of 3 or 4 lenses for my Canon 50D to cover every situation, landscapes, portraits, wildlife safari, night photography etc. I need enough options to be totally flexible.

I'll be buying the lenses, possibly second hand and selling them on here when I get back so I'm not too worried about price. This is what I'm thinking so far.

EF-S 10-22mm
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II OR EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS
Nifty Fifty
EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II
Canon 2x teleconverter

I reckon that's enough to be carrying around with me so don't really want to take any more than that. The questions is, which of those standard range lenses should I go for?

Ideally Canon would make an L range lens that went from 17-70mm, but they don't so I'm going to miss out on a bit of range somewhere, but where is best?

If you really need to go 10mm wide the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 is a sharper lens than the Canon. I'd be more tempted to go for the 24-70mm f2.8 than the 17-55mm.
The 70-200mm f2.8 and a 2x convertor is probably the soundest choice.

Or just buy a 5D, 17-40mm, 24-105mm and a 100-400mm.

Hmm, if I go for the 24-70mm as my main lens am I not going to find myself having to switch to the UWA much more often (which is the lower quality lens)?

And also, if I upgrade to a full-frame camera, aren't I going to have to buy even longer lenses when I go on safari?

the 17-55 is the best normal zoom for a crop. Just put a very high quality protective filter on to keep dust out.

Ok - if you always got the option of having all your kit with you I'd go for:

Wide:

16-35 L II (because the 17-55 has poor build for the price & a reputation as a Dyson for dust sucking - I bought one, mounted a top filter in the shop and after three zooms had several dust particles behind the front element).

A fast prime - maybe 50mm f/1.4 to split the gap

70-200mm f2.8 II + 2x II extender - this is a great combination.

If I was planning on days with only one lens mounted I'd have the 24-105L. Even on a crop 24mm is enough for many landscapes.

Phil

Thumbs up for the 15-85 IS USM. I've got one and it's a lovely lens that covers the range you want. Slow compared to the 17-55 2.8 as it has a variable 3.5-5.6 aperture, but it's well built and performs as well as the 17-55. If you want speed go for the 17-55, if want more reach go for the 15-85.

16-35 L II (because the 17-55 has poor build for the price & a reputation as a Dyson for dust sucking - I bought one, mounted a top filter in the shop and after three zooms had several dust particles behind the front element).

I've never heard that before, and mine doesn't seem to suffer the problem. In fact I would go so far as to say that the 17-55 is probably the best "all rounder" to put on a crop sensor.

Yes, it is an EF-S, but probably one of the best EF-S lenses available, and I find the build quality better than some L lenses. If you can find a 2nd hand one, if/when you do come to upgrade to FF you can move it on without losing much on it.

In my opinion, the 24-70 is not wide enough at the short end on a crop sensor for an all round lens. Excellent on FF though...

Steve

have you had a thought about the Canon 28-300mm L or the older 35-350mmm L ?
I owned a 35-350mm in the past and found it very good, however rather heavy.

I've never heard that before, and mine doesn't seem to suffer the problem. In fact I would go so far as to say that the 17-55 is probably the best "all rounder" to put on a crop sensor.

Yes, it is an EF-S, but probably one of the best EF-S lenses available, and I find the build quality better than some L lenses. If you can find a 2nd hand one, if/when you do come to upgrade to FF you can move it on without losing much on it.

Steve

I think optically it is very sharp, but a little 'flat' colour wise SOOC. Build wise I have owned many L-lenses and I don't feel the 17-55 build compares to any of them. It is still a great buy for a general lens for a crop camera.

As for dust - it is a really common issue and the web is full of guides on how to remove the front element yourself for cleaning. All lenses have some dust in, especially if you make the mistake of shining lights through them. Some 17-55's have a particular problem though with 20-30 noticeable dust specs gathering on the inside of the front element within a few months of use. I bought from Jessops & instantly attached a Pro filter hoping all would be well. After only three or four zooms I could see several specs of dust behind the front element and decided there and then to hand it back.

But on the dust issue - I've read hundreds of posts with people experiencing dust behind the front element, but not read one where it affected the performance noticeably. It just annoys me to see so much dust there & ultimately enough dust will have some effect.

Phil

As for dust issues:

Last edited:

In my opinion, the 24-70 is not wide enough at the short end on a crop sensor for an all round lens. Excellent on FF though...

Steve

I second this - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the build quality of the 17-55, in fact its very well built indeed.

...and to the OP - why are you going to sell it straight after?!

Last edited:
Apologies in advance for this!

Phil

All lenses do that, even my EF 50 1.8 'sucked' dust into the middle of the lens and its a prime, lol!

The worst lens for dust collection is the 100-400 L, its terrible for dust, yet is brilliantly built!

All lenses do that, even my EF 50 1.8 'sucked' dust into the middle of the lens and its a prime, lol!

The worst lens for dust collection is the 100-400 L, its terrible for dust, yet is brilliantly built!

True - hence it's nickname 'The dust pump'!

There is definitely something about some lenses that make visible dust inside the lenses more common. Sigma's often seen to have lots of dust, but three Canons sping to mind: 17-55, 100-400 and 85mm f/1.2. With the 85mm f/1.2 it is behind the rear element the dust gathers.

Phil

And still delivers excellent images I may add....

4842622989_c1438963a2_b.jpg

(and that's through a window.....)

Steve

Last edited:
And still delivers excellent images I may add....

Steve

Oh absolutely - and as I said before I doubt the dust has much impact on the 17-55, although I do feel it is somehow a little 'flat' colourwise despite being very sharp.

Phil

10-22mm or Tokina 11-16 or 12-24mm (more useful range)
24-105mm IS (you won't need f/2.8 for travel) - weathersealed
70-200mm f/4 IS and 1.4x - weathersealed
300mm f/4 IS if you really want
50 / 85mm prime if you want

16-35mm - if you get the 5D.

When I had the crop I went through the 18-55->17-85->17-55 and obviously the 17-55 is by far the best but despite what anyone says, it is NOT built like an L lens. It's very good consumer build sure and optically it's in the same ball park. Since I got a 5d I've got the f4 series of L zooms and the 17-55 is pretty poor compared to them in terms of build quality - I can fully understand why people choose the 17-40 or the 24-105 over the 17-55. BUT the 17-55 is the best all round lens on a crop sensor in terms of range, aperture, IS and IQ. It's just quite a bit more delicate than the Ls and it's resale if you buy new is crap (I know I sold one).

Having said that, If I was going on a round the world trip with a cropped sensor I would probably take the 17-40 f4L and a fast prime. Bombproof.

So my suggestion would be 17-40 f4L, 50 prime (or maybe a 28 or 30) and 70-200 f4L (IS probably).

Last edited:
Back