Best starter dslr kit (new) for 300 quid

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
As per title.

Nikon/Canon

Mainly for taking pics of kids, needs to have body and lens.

All suggestions welcome!!

That's the kit my mate asked me about.....and if it was any good - I said I didn't really know!'

Nikon D3200. At that price point, it's better than the Canon I think. Can't really argue for under £280 brand new!

I only know about the Nikon. You could probably pick that up for £50 less as s/h and if it were the black model then maybe a shade less than that?

As to the question is it good? Depends on use and your experience but I don't think it is a bad camera. Lens might be a bit limiting but upgrading later as money allows should be fine. (17-55mm is streets ahead but so is the price). Don't forget it is the lens as much as the camera that you should consider when buying new kit.

Obviously don't know of Shaheeds shots... :LOL:

Assuming this is for a friend, Shaheed?

I'd got with the 3200 if it had to be new. The kit lens is just that, but plenty good enough to start with. They can then add the 35/50 if they feel the need.

Where have you been???

I only know about the Nikon. You could probably pick that up for £50 less as s/h and if it were the black model then maybe a shade less than that?

As to the question is it good? Depends on use and your experience but I don't think it is a bad camera. Lens might be a bit limiting but upgrading later as money allows should be fine. (17-55mm is streets ahead but so is the price). Don't forget it is the lens as much as the camera that you should consider when buying new kit.

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly certain I could get a tune out of that particular instrument, but this is for a friend and I'm not too in touch with the entry level end of the market.

In fact it's a friend wanting to buy his wife a pressie!

Obviously don't know of Shaheeds shots... :LOL:

Assuming this is for a friend, Shaheed?

I'd got with the 3200 if it had to be new. The kit lens is just that, but plenty good enough to start with. They can then add the 35/50 if they feel the need.

Where have you been???

Hellooo!!

The d3200 does look decent (apart from the colour!!). I think it does have to be new!

We were going to move but then decided to have the house extended. Net result - less time to shoot - working more to pay for the work and the BW Studios have a lot of clutter due to reorganising stuff!!

I believe they are, but they're all of a muchness. Especially if they're beginner p&s kind of people. Don't go looking at specs, you have a d800 so you will want the one with most features... ;)

Nah.....I want a d750!!

If they get the nikon I'll be more able to help them out with it.......so I've told them to get the canon [emoji6]. Only kidding. I've just passed those two onto my mate and he can choose between them!

The D3200 is a great little camera for the price, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending one (going from the one I got my GF). The kit lens doesn't resolve quite as well as on 24mpx sensors but I doubt this would put them off. It's available in black from John Lewis and Jessops....

A couple of years ago I brought a D3200 because the image quality to me was substantially better than the D300 I had been using. I replaced it with a D600 mostly because of the lack of things like the motor in the body.

A couple of years ago I brought a D3200 because the image quality to me was substantially better than the D300 I had been using. I replaced it with a D600 mostly because of the lack of things like the motor in the body.

I don't see how you can compare a 24 MP camera (D3200) against a 12MP camera (D300) or am I missing something ???

Well you see plenty of people still using the D300 and preferring them apparently and I can see they have a point with regard to controls etc

Well you see plenty of people still using the D300 and preferring them apparently and I can see they have a point with regard to controls etc

I'd guess the dual controls, pro body, af, screw drive motor and general usability still play a part.

You can still get a great image from a d300.

Don't know if it's worth the £40.00 saving over new but Wex have refurbished D3200 with kit lens for £239.00. Also, they still come with a 1 year warranty.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...al-slr-with-18-55mm-vr-ii-lens-black/p1567933

Nah.....I want a d750!!

If they get the nikon I'll be more able to help them out with it.......so I've told them to get the canon [emoji6]. Only kidding. I've just passed those two onto my mate and he can choose between them!

Back