Best telephoto lens for macro shots

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi beautiful ppl!
I wanted to get some recommendations on some good affordable telephoto lens for macro shots intended for Nikon?

When I shot with Nikon I found the 300mm f4 was the best option for pseudo macro , it can be used with a 1.4 ,1.7,or 2X t.c none of which effect the close focus ability .

what’s your budget ?

what’s the maximum reproduction ratio you need eg 1:1 ( technically macro ) or more ?

looking at your previous posts, it seems like you have a d5600 snd have tried a raynox. The 250 has high magnification and you could try a 150 ( repeating others suggestions )

limited depth of field is always an issue, the smaller the subject snd the higher the mag.

you can do it, in manual focus, with a basic 70-300 and a achromat close up filter + tripod - about 3 dioptres should do it to get you to 1:1. There are calculators - google “extreme macro”. Be warned that they can underestimate the dioptres needed eg they say my 300pf needs a 2x ~ it actually needs a 3x

Again, as others have said, a basic 100mm macro lens is extremely useful - working distance is going to be 10-13cms and you can add a close up lens if you need higher mag ( but you will have to hunt more for the focus plane )

At the cheaper end but very good is the sigma 105 or most of the older tamron sp90s or the Tokina. Make sure, if it AF that it is not a screw drive which won’t work with your camera.

The old Tamron adaptall2 52b or 52bb ( both 1:2 macros are a bargain at about 60-70 quid for a good copy. You can get a tam 01F 2x tele converter for about 40-50 quid to convert it to 1:1

Some of the later sp90s like the f004 are AF with some VC ( stabilisation ) are probably 250 ish. ( had this before my sp90 f017 ) - great lens -almost same optics as the latest one but vf/af not quite as sharp.

More expensive but with a good reputation is the nikon 85/3.5 but I haven’t tried this. It is dx only and 400 ish

If I was starting out and needed a modern, good reliable standard af macro lens, I would get that sigma 105 dg os hsm used for about 280 quid in exc condition or the tam f004.

for manual focus only the the laowas look really good.
Thank you! I do want to get as close as i can. My budget is somewhere under 800$. I would like to shoot insects and butterflies. I think my main struggle with macro lens( at least with Raynox) would be very shallow depth of field. Wouldn't good telephoto lens fix that? plus for fast moving insects it's hard to get close to specially with a shallow depth of field lens.

For creepy crawlies and flying things which are likely to be frightened and crawl or fly away I think distance is maybe going to be your friend so 300mm or more is what I'd be looking at rather than a macro lens as such. Also, I wouldn't be afraid to crop pictures as long as you end up with a picture big enough for your needs.

Depth is often an issue and you'll probably want to stop down to f8/11 or something suitable.

Last edited:
I have this for my Sony 70-350G but would work on any 70-300 lens.
Haven't used it much but really good image quality.

There seem to be a couple of ways to go with this. A screw on close up lens will enable the user to fill the frame more but will very possibly mean getting closer to the subject possibly increasing the risk that it'll run or fly away. Another way to do this is to stand further back with a longer lens possibly cropping the image to get the subject larger in the frame.

I don't tend to take pictures of bugs and the like but when I have tried I've found it easier to stand back with a longer lens, reducing the likelihood of the critters seeing me as a threat and bolting.

Sigma 150mm macro. 1:1 reproduction and great working distance.

general purpose with AF value for money

sig 105 hsm os

best overall for nikon dslr tam sp90 f004 or f017

longer working distance for insects, butterflies

sigma 150 180/3.5 macro, longer nikon’s if you can find them

70-300 dx af-p VR
- will take an achromat / does auto focus if you can mf into the zone
- will work with kenko pro300 dg 1.4x tc but it will not af on d5600 since it’s not f8 capable

Last edited by a moderator:
Back