Best times for Radiation Fog and mist.

Adg

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hi there, wondered if anyone from experience can recommend what conditions to look out for the night before in order to get the radiation fog you see early in the morning. (The fog that hovers above the surface around the trees)
There are a few locations fairly near me that i have been hoping to get with the radiation fog for some landscape shots but unfortunately find it sometimes difficult to predict in the mornings. I heard that cool nights over valley type locations around sunrise work best but i want to start planning the shots so i am sure to get this on location. Are they any other indicators or conditions to look out for the night before? The locations in question are around the Surrey Hills location.
Any help much appreciated.

As ever, it can be a lottery - but... Warm days, cool nights (especially in autumn) with very low wind speed and you stand a good chance. Some rain the day before can help there.

I watch the BBC/Met forecast, if overnight the wind speed is below 3/4mph and the humidity is somewhere in the mid 90%s then I'll take the chance with going out. Sometimes I win, and sometimes I loose.

As Stu says, and keep a look out for ‘moderate’ or ‘poor’ visibility on Met Office or BBC websites. Also look for high pressure overnight into the morning. Some places just aren’t prone to it though, you just have to keep getting out there and get to know your patch

Back