best travel camera?

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

off on jollies soon and not wanting to hump the DSLR and lenses around.

Thinking of maybe a Bridge camera but obviously wanting DSLR features :)

RAW, nice & wide with a good zoom, good ISO capability, full manual control,
ability to attach filters, blah blah...you get the drift

anything suitable out there?

Budget?
Do you want a viwfinder?
Possibly doesn't go as wide as you would like but the Sony RX100 or RX100 MKII are worth a look.
Panasonic LX7?

New Fuji P&S, or 6D or 70D from Canon or equivalent from Nikon such as D5xxx/D3xxx, D610 new one coming maybe a good option.

Good luck!

I took my Canon G15 to Disneyland Paris. The keeper rate is very high compared to my old compacts (look under my user name), with fast AF and consistent, well judged exposures, i'm glad I took it.
To make sure I had quick access, I fitted the supplied strap and had it around my neck at all times.

Fuji X100S Ken. Meets none of your requirements but it's amazing ;)

Hi Ken,

Thought about a Nikon V1? Affordable and I've heard a lot of good things about it.

just looking at the Canon SX50 HS, anyone have one and can comment on the pro's and con's?

Well, i didn't, but i will never look at those models, i will go with minimum of Canon G1x models [G15 is latest i think?], and you have 1DIV stated under your avatar, why not taking this even it is heavy gun? I was going to recommend you a DSLR, 6D at least, but you have one and i thought you may not want any DSLR.

Still i would keep an eye on those Sony and Fuji smaller cameras that are in rangefinder and Leica design, one of my friends has one and he is very happy with it for travel.

Best - clearly 1Dx. It should survive a rather typical travel from Amazon jungle to Afghanistan :)

This will be my main travel camera from now, bought it last year and i didn't travel yet since 2009, but if i will travel again soon or anytime later then definitely 1DX will be my choice and i never worry about its size and weight, i got used to use DSLRs always when i travel since 2006.

Best - clearly 1Dx. It should survive a rather typical travel from Amazon jungle to Afghanistan :)

Now I know I am not a canon user, but even I am pretty sure that is not a compact or bridge.... albeit that might be the quality of photos it produces :p

Been quite happy with my Fuji X10 when on jollibobs. All the things you need, in a small package. Have a look at the X20 and of course X100s if you dont mind fixed focal length. Check out the threads here on the forum for the two cameras too for examples of images produced.

just looking at the Canon SX50 HS, anyone have one and can comment on the pro's and con's?

I don't, but I suspect reading the specs it would be what I would go for we're I in the market :) The Sony Cyber-Shot HX300 also seems to be a reasonable option and has the advantage of offering 1/4000th shutter speed where the Canon only offers 1/2000th....the Sony also have a large image size so great for cropping in

Nikon v1, chuffed to bits with mine, you can still pick them up for £250 new!

Sony RX100, hands down. Survived in all sorts of conditions, including sand and moisture that no electronics has any right to! Great shots too.

Fuji x100(s). Compact, with a fantastic lens and very very sharp photos. Best part, APS-C sensor offering no compromise on image quality.

I'm taking my x100 all around China in December, the 5D will only get 2 lenses and I can only see it staying in the hotel room. It's not a photography trip, so I'm even hesitant to taking the DSLR.

Sony RX100, hands down. Survived in all sorts of conditions, including sand and moisture that no electronics has any right to! Great shots too.

+1 mine has stood up to some serious abuse. Takes fantastic pictures in a huge array of lighting the high ISO ability is great.
There is never a reason not to take it because its so pocketable, a DSLR i always find an excuse to leave behind.

Fuji x100(s). Compact, with a fantastic lens and very very sharp photos. Best part, APS-C sensor offering no compromise on image quality.

I'm taking my x100 all around China in December, the 5D will only get 2 lenses and I can only see it staying in the hotel room. It's not a photography trip, so I'm even hesitant to taking the DSLR.

I took my 5D Mkiii to Hong Kong and Thailand used it once. Sold it a week later to downgrade to a 6D.

For travel I always pack light now. It's all good and well taking your DSLR and all your lenses, but when your faced with a full day on your feet trying to enjoy the sights, the last thing you want is your DSLR to ruin the moment and memories for you.

EDIT: PS - the X100S is now my travel camera of choice :LOL:

I took my 5D Mkiii to Hong Kong and Thailand used it once. Sold it a week later to downgrade to a 6D.

For travel I always pack light now. It's all good and well taking your DSLR and all your lenses, but when your faced with a full day on your feet trying to enjoy the sights, the last thing you want is your DSLR to ruin the moment and memories for you.

EDIT: PS - the X100S is now my travel camera of choice :LOL:

This was exactly my feeling. My DSLR's are my work tools, I really dont want to lug them round whilst on holiday, so I took a single ungripped body and 50mm and that was it, but the compact was the one that got most use. Yes I did use the DSLR, but could I have lived without it? Easily to be honest. I only really used it when the OH wanted to use the X10. For next jollies, will probably buy or borrow another fuji unit so we can both snap away and that will be it.

This was exactly my feeling. My DSLR's are my work tools, I really dont want to lug them round whilst on holiday, so I took a single ungripped body and 50mm and that was it, but the compact was the one that got most use. Yes I did use the DSLR, but could I have lived without it? Easily to be honest. I only really used it when the OH wanted to use the X10. For next jollies, will probably buy or borrow another fuji unit so we can both snap away and that will be it.

Absolutely agree. If you're on a photo-trip then you'll probably want all of your bells and whistles, but for an actual holiday you just want something to capture the memory. That's why the X100S by Fuji and RX100 by Sony are so popular. The image quality is superb and in the main part, they are actually fun to use!

thanks for all the feedback guys, bit of a minefield but will take a look at the other models suggested - definitely don't want to hump the DSLR again, apart from the weight it's too much kit to leave unattended in a hotel room, it won't fit in the safe and for what insurance companies offer for one item only, is a joke :-(

The fuji x20 would be my perfect holiday cam, it has that little zoom attached that just seems ideal.

Always take my slr (5d mkii) and never really had a problem with it, I take a minimum of kit so I'm not lugging 10kg of gear around in 30 degree heat and I've never stayed in a hotel with a safe that wouldn't fit it. Yes most of the shots it takes are just holiday snaps but I've also managed to get some great shots for the wall etc.

I guess it's slightly different as photography is my hobby if it was a job I might lean more to not taking the slr as who wants to be reminded of work while your on holiday!

Last edited:
Nikon v1, chuffed to bits with mine, you can still pick them up for £250 new!

+1. You can pick up the J2 with a 10-30 kit from Argos for £199 which is what I've just done, love it :).

Back