Best travel tripod in your opinion?

I had a Manfrotto BeFree but wasn't keen on the switches for widening the legs or folding.
Nice size though.

Now have the Vanguard VEO2 265CB.
So much better to use.
Didn't particularly want a 5 section but it slips into my VEO Discover 38 bag perfectly so the tripod goes with me all the time with no hassle.
I use it with my a6300 so load weight is not a problem although I did talk to a Vanguard rep who has used this tripod with his Canon 1DXii

Depends on your budget. Top of the line would be a Gitzo 1 series traveller which will set you back £500-700. I have those legs and an Arca P0 and it handles everything up to my 5x4 camera.

Peak Design’s Travel Tripod looks good too, especially now that The Centre Column has tested it with some quantifiable results. Ranks lower than the Gitzo in terms of performance but from size : performance ratio it’s quite impressive.

I’ve heard really good things about Leofoto’s carbon travel tripods too.

The new Peak Design one looks great tbh....but with a weird fixed head, well you can swap it but then it won't be as compact.

Truth is that none are perfect. I have 2, a Gitzo one and a Redreg. The smaller ones VERY small, folded length less than a piece of A4. I generally take the smaller one but last trip to NYC I bought the Gitzo especially for it. The smaller one only extends to 1150mm and not as stable.

O4If4wb.jpg

Last edited:
There is no simple answer to your question:-

For some it will be light weight
Or how compact when folded
or how tall
or how stable
or what payload
or head type
or build quality
etc etc

The OP needs to work out what is important to them and select a tripod thats suitable, there is no right or wrong answer to 'Best Travel Tripod' as for everyone it will be different.

I've been using the Sirui T-025X for a couple of years and have been very impressed with the stability. Considering it only weighs 800g and collapses down to about 33cm, it can handle 6kg. A couple of downsides for me were that it has no spiked feet and that the ball-head had no bubble level. To me it certainly feels far more stable than the Be-Free.

I've got a sirui 1024 and use it as my everyday tripod.
It handles up to 10Kg, weighs 800g and the legs can fold back around the centre column if required making it very compact.
Got it on here for £85

Last edited:
I can't afford these "Cheaper" travel tripods as I am on a very low income - so I just bought a used Gitzo Traveller for £140. Yes I know it was expensive, but I wanted it :)
My other used Gitzo purchases were a little more reasonable on price.
Get a high quality second hand tripod - cheaper and better in the long run. Alternatively new Gitzo tripods do come along now and then at sensible money - I know as I have three!

Which is the best travel tripod in your opinion?
It depends what the criteria is. Cost is going to be a big factor when deciding ‘what’s best’. You can’t really compare a £100 tripod to a £500 tripod. Generally gitzo travellers are considered the best travel tripod option for build and stability but that the disadvantage of cost. There are other manufacturers out there that are good too. The befree range seems to get good reviews.

Generally a tripod will be less stable when there are more sections and shorter the length of those sections. Materials and build quality plays a part too.

I can't afford these "Cheaper" travel tripods as I am on a very low income - so I just bought a used Gitzo Traveller for £140.
That doesn't make sense...you are on a low income and have 3 Gitzo tripods yet can't afford these "cheaper" travel tripods? :)

Lot of nonsense written about tripods, majority will hold the camera steady without toppling over if used sensibly.
There are some cheap rubbish ones and some way overpriced boutique models, but something in the middle will work fine.
Also consider how often they will be used, when you travel it might get a couple of uses over a week, maybe a bit more.
Quite often once or not at all if my experience is anything to go by, just taken along for the ride.

Settled now on a Manfrotto Befree GT, compact and light enough for travel and stable enough for a bit of night sky business
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfrotto-befree-gt-carbon-fibre-tripod-kit-1665783/

Depends on were your travelling too? The tripod I would take to Iceland is completley different to the Tripod I would use in Venice, I personally don't think there is a best travel tripod!! If I was travelling to say a windy location I would take a Sturdy tripod like a Sirui or Benro/Manfrotto although if I was doing a cityscape like Venice I would take something like a Manfotto Befree Carbon which I love for this kind of thing because it fits easily in a backpack with my small camera set up, dosen't way much so don't mind carrying it all day and it has been very reliable. Also depends on wants going on the tripod? is it a heavy DSLR with a tele lens!! I have two a sturdy, taller one that I just leave in the back of the car and a Befree Carbon which I use 90% of the time, its not perfect but it gets me the shots I need.

I bought a used Gitzo traveller from somebody on here for about £200. It's small, very light and now goes just about everywhere. Took it to Thailand on holiday, it belongs in the boot of the car so I always have it handy when out & about.

I bought a used Gitzo traveller from somebody on here for about £200. It's small, very light and now goes just about everywhere. Took it to Thailand on holiday, it belongs in the boot of the car so I always have it handy when out & about.

I thought I recognised that tripod sticking out of your bag on the London meet.
Its not actually a "traveler" got the mountaineer version because it was taller without the centre column raised.
One of those things I regretted selling later on, but good to hear and see its getting used.

Strangely enough picked up a secondhand one of these yesterday to leave in the boot of the car https://www.amazon.co.uk/Legged-Thing-Tripod-Airhed-Ballhead/dp/B0786PCMXK?th=1
Don't suppose it will hardly ever get used, but its handy to have when out and about

That doesn't make sense...you are on a low income and have 3 Gitzo tripods yet can't afford these "cheaper" travel tripods? :)

No - I am on a low income and I have four (not three) Gitzo tripods. Why? Simply because none of them were very expensive. I also have a Gitzo mono pod too!

The reason that I cannot afford the cheaper copies/imitations is that they are not cheaper. I should state that my Gitzo Traveller was bought used ( E Bay - a bit pricey at £140) but all the others, and my Gitzo mono pod, were bought brand new from official UK sources (High Street camera shop and Gitzo UK).

Feisol CT-3442
I basically use this tripod for everything.

A friend of mine has one of these and, coincidentally, another friend has the 3 leg section version. They are great tripods! Fairly rigid and stupidly light as well as folding fairly short. Unfortunately they are expensive - well worth it - but expensive. Though my friend who bought the 3 leg section model got it (in VERY nice nik) from Flea Bay for £90 - maybe not so expensive?

A friend of mine has one of these and, coincidentally, another friend has the 3 leg section version. They are great tripods! Fairly rigid and stupidly light as well as folding fairly short. Unfortunately they are expensive - well worth it - but expensive. Though my friend who bought the 3 leg section model got it (in VERY nice nik) from Flea Bay for £90 - maybe not so expensive?

I had the 3 leg version for a long time. It's a better tripod than the 4 leg version IMO since it's more stable and slightly lighter too.
Sold mine on here with a heavy heart :(
Only reason I swapped was because some airlines are annoying and traveling with it became harder. I bought and sold both for around £200 (give or take £20).
£90 is definitely a steal, I'd buy it back and keep both at that price :D

The Gitzo carbon fibre traveler tripod, has been an extremely solid option, I've had one stuck inside a Osprey Fairview 40l along with all my other stuff my last few trips and I barely even notice it. Its got the feel of something that will outlast me.

Back