Best value new FF Mirrorless set-up.

Edit My Images
Yes
Preferably with IBIS.

I'm heavily into M4/3 and would like to play around with FF, but not break the bank.

TIA

The original Sony A7 is a pretty cheap way into FF and it's mirrorless. The only real drawbacks IMO is that the AF is pretty leisurely so may not be suitable for fast action, and there's no IS. I think the MK2 has it.

I'd say Sony A7RII (if you are after resolution) or A7III (if you want better AF) or A7Riii which has the resolution and AF if you can stretch your budget.
With a bunch of 3rd party lenses.

Would help to know what focal lengths you are looking for?

In my opinion, these are the very best value for the quality you get (could do with more information about lenses etc):

Sony A7rii/iii/riii
Sony 16-35mm f4/Tamron 17-28
Tamron 28-200

Nikon Z6/Z7
Nikon 14-30
Nikon 24-200

Just offloaded all my Oly kit and awaiting my Nikon z6ii. Have to say the Em1ii was a cracking camera, the 300f4 pro superb but I was never happy with the menu system or the low light/high iso performance so returning to where it all began for me with Nikon.

Preferably with IBIS.

I'm heavily into M4/3 and would like to play around with FF, but not break the bank.

TIA

Depends how much breaks the bank, Dave. I was looking to spend about 5-600 a few weeks ago and ended up nearly doubling that for the Z6 body. The Sony A7 series is by far the cheapest and the only way you're coming in at £500ish for the body but I didn't fancy learning a whole new menu system so stuck with Nikon. Bizarrely, a Z5 will normally cost a fraction more than a Z6, despite it being an inferior camera.. go figure.. If you go with a Z5 or Z6 the best value Z lens by far is the 24-70 f4, which is supposed to be a cracker. I have one arriving Monday. Unfortunately, my Z6 had a sensor issue so was returned last week and I managed to buy one here from a member. That will be arriving Tuesday so until then I lhave oads of lenses and sod all to shoot them with. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Just a note on the dreaded menus.

Once you've set the camera up how you want it the menus are very largely irrelevant and redundant. I honestly only enter the menu to do three things. To format the card, set the clock (that's twice a year or when on holiday) and select auto magnification when turning the focus ring on or off. Three things. That's it.

What about a used Fuji X-E1 or X-M1 body with a XF18-55 mm lens.

An excellent cheap way to dip into the mirrorless world.

Regards;
Peter
he's already using mirrorless cameras i.e. m43.
He seems to be looking for FF ones in particular.

p.s. nothing against APS-C cameras. Though Fuji seems to be the only serious about making good APS-C cameras :p

Last edited:
The A7 although AF is only contrast detect and no ibis. About 450-500 for the body only and they keep their value if you don’t like it.

Get 2 has better AF and ibis. Gen 3 the best so far. Plenty of oem and third party lenses around on the used market.

I have had no trouble with the menu systems on sony or oly for that matter. After a week or so you know where everything is.

I would suggest an A7iii if you can stretch, if not the A7ii.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup.. Surprised Fuji haven't entered the FF market yet. Surely can't be far off now.

They said they were never interested in doing so a while back.

I went from Olympus M43 to Sony A7ii to A7Rii and haven't looked back.

Much prefer the lack of noise in the Sony images. Like @Simplythebeast above the noise in the Oly images really put me off the format.

The A7 although AF is only contrast detect and no ibis. About 450-500 for the body only and they keep their value if you don’t like it.

Get 2 has better AF and ibis. Gen 3 the best so far. Plenty of oem and third party lenses around on the used market.

I have had no trouble with the menu systems on sony or oly for that matter. After a week or so you know where everything is.

I would suggest an A7iii if you can stretch, if not the A7ii.

A7 does have PDAF. It's just one of the earliest implementations and not as effective as later generations.

You can get a brand-new A7Rii for just over a grand, if you’re happy with grey, and the Sony system opens up a plethora of third-party lenses. Samyang especially are good value and plentiful on the used market. The menu system isn’t bad, just different, and I’ve been through Olympus, Fuji, and Nikon.

Looking at alternatives as well Dave due to Olympus dragging there feet over a simple warranty repair .. so seriously looking at Sony as a alternative .. one that has caught my eye while not being FF is the A6400 . .. will have to visit some bricks and mortar shops soon methinks

Looking at alternatives as well Dave due to Olympus dragging there feet over a simple warranty repair .. so seriously looking at Sony as a alternative .. one that has caught my eye while not being FF is the A6400 . .. will have to visit some bricks and mortar shops soon methinks

apparently there is a new APS-C sony coming out soon.

I feel the development on m43 in terms of making strides has mostly stopped. There hasn't been much improvement in the sensor and AF tech. m43 should have an advantage for AF but doesn't feel like they are exploiting it very well.
may be i am wrong but that's what it felt like to me anyway.

I have to take into account two very important factors which are cost and weight .. the costs of changing systems isn't that bad as my main lens would be the Sony 200-600 so around £1500 then the cost of a body as stated im looking at the A6400 initially so around £900 new or a A7ii ? the other factor is weight as I still cant carry heavy weights for long periods .. not sure on weather proofing either as I dont have to factor that in with olympus ,so that means having to take a backpack rather than stuffing a t.c and spare battery in my pockets .lot to think about would I in fact be better off buying another olympus body to use as and when required .

canon and nikon are both out of the equation purely on cost

I have to take into account two very important factors which are cost and weight .. the costs of changing systems isn't that bad as my main lens would be the Sony 200-600 so around £1500 then the cost of a body as stated im looking at the A6400 initially so around £900 new or a A7ii ? the other factor is weight as I still cant carry heavy weights for long periods .. not sure on weather proofing either as I dont have to factor that in with olympus ,so that means having to take a backpack rather than stuffing a t.c and spare battery in my pockets .lot to think about would I in fact be better off buying another olympus body to use as and when required .

canon and nikon are both out of the equation purely on cost

you'd probably want a minimum of A7III/A7C for wildlife.

Weight wise I am not sure what lenses you own/use but 200-600mm is big (not actually all that heavy compared to other comparable lenses).
but its a lens that internally zoom hence big and long.

as for weatherseal its fine, I've tested it ;)
50871242027_55ae3bcfbb_b.jpg

I’m in no rush ,just a bit miffed over lack of response from Olympus re warranty repairs .. I get extremely good results from my current gear to so it needs careful thinking over before I act

Image quality wise even my A7 is a step up from any MFT camera I've had. I now have GX80 and GX9, 16mp Panasonic and 20mp Sony sensors.

Not yet Trevor, not sure I ever will.
The M4/3 does all I need, mainly it's light weight.
I've just traded the Oly 12-100 Pro for a 12-45 Pro for weight reasons,
I was 78 in March.

You make a lot of sense Dave.

Back