Best way to transfer negatives to digital

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Asking for recommendations on kit or online/postal services for transferring negatives (35mm and that other sort that came out where you didnt get a negative, but they were contained in the film case????????) onto digital.

Thanks in advance

The easiest way to digitise Negatives and Slides is to scan them to the computer. If your scanner is an older model or you do not have one at all then the most cost effective way would be to buy a moden A4 scanner. For little extra money you need one that comes with a negative carrier and an extra built in lamp to enable you to scan your slides and negatives. Software should be supplied to enable this to be done very easily. This type of unit is perfectly fine for viewing on screen and doing small prints. To do larger printing you will need higher resolution files and a more dedicated scanner which will cost more money.

Save your money and find someone in the back of a photography magazine that will do it. Scanning is a time consuming, monotonous ball-ache of a job so give someone else the hassle.

If you insist on doing it yourself then some flatbeds will scan negative (if they have a light in the lid) and you can get the little desktop USB jobs but the quality if crap. Have a look in the film and conventional forum, there are more than enough threads in there about scanners to answer your questions.

I used an Epson Perfection V500 to scan about 5 thousand B&W and colour negs and transparencies both 35mm & medium format. I also scanned a few hundred prints. They came out very well considering a lot of the pictures were rubbish in the first place.:) It took a long time but doing it a couple of hours a night during the winter months was no problem.
Sorry but I have no idea regarding online or postal services.

The ones in the can are APS films, not sure how you retrieve the film from those.

I use an Epson Perfection V500 as well, it does an admirable job :D

Ohnar Slide duplicator for a couple of quid from ebay hacked apart and the resultant bits attached to the front of a macro lens and away you go. Works really well for slides and negs

Ohnar Slide duplicator for a couple of quid from ebay hacked apart and the resultant bits attached to the front of a macro lens and away you go. Works really well for slides and negs

Good Tip that and cheap, Thanks.

I bought a £40 negative scanner from Maplins and scanned about 30 before getting mind-numbingly bored. I'd pay someone else to do it if you have the cash as they're more than likely to have a decent scanner so hopefully you'll get better results.

Thanks for the info....... looking like the Epson V500 might just win this one.

No rush to do them but would like them all digitised, so looks like a winter project.

Superb scanner thanks. Just done some negatives from 10 years ago and the quality is excellent. They were done on standard settings. Just need to play now and trial different settings to get the best result.

Superb scanner thanks. Just done some negatives from 10 years ago and the quality is excellent. They were done on standard settings. Just need to play now and trial different settings to get the best result.

Lets see!! :) ...........

The V500 is a great scanner for the price. This is a glass positive - from 1888!!

Back