Best wide angle lens - Nikon Full Frame

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Recently switched over to Nikon Full Frame when I purchased a D700 in December 2018.

In a moment of retail bliss I also brought a Sigma 18-50 2.8 DC (not knowing Sigma's coding system I presumed this would work with FX sensors). Later research led me to realise only Sigma DG lenses are suitable for Nikon FX.

I hired a Sigma 18-35 1.8 DC ART last year when I was still using my D200 (crop sensor). The lens was stunning to say the least, but SIGMA do not make a DG version of this lens (no FX compatibility without using DX mode in camera). My question is what should I be looking at for a wide angle, fast lens for Nikon FX? Nikon 17-35 2.8 any good? I know 1.8 is 2 stops away from 2.8 but I'm trying to establish which lenses would give offer the same optics as the sigma I hired. As I say, it was just stunning.

I'm aware lenses proposed for DX cameras can be used on FX but to me that defeats the whole point of me purchasing a Full-Frame?

Look forward to hearing back.

Ali

Budget?

The 16-35 f4 is a good lens, or if you want a prime the 20mm 2.8 is good, although the 20,, 1.8 is even better.

1.8 is only 1 stop below 2.8. Just saying ;)

Any way, i've had both the 16-35 f4 and the 14-24. My 16-35 was great, super sharp and I loved the vr. 14 is noticeably wider, but the 16 can be had for half the price, is lighter and takes filters! I probably should have kept mine to be honest.

There’s a 16-35 F4 for sale in the Nikon classified section. £400!

deleted my test on dx lens on FX camera didn't do what I expected . Did get the greyed out areas in the viewfinder I had programmed in

Last edited:
The Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 is a very nice lens that can be had for about £400 used, although with your budget it would be worth spending a bit more and getting the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 for around £750 used. If you buy a nice one you won't loose anything on it if you want to sell it.

Think about whether you want to use filters though as FX wide lenses tend to have protruding front elements and can be very expensive to fit filters to. If you want to use filters the Nikon 17-35 f/2.8 may be a better option. They are not as sharp as the 14-28 and the focus motors are a bit unreliable but they are are around £400 used and take standard filters.

Get yourself the manual focus 28mm f2.8 AIs, it focuses down to 7” and is pin sharp.

Without going fisheye, the Sigma 12-24 is pretty much as wide as you can get and is significantly cheaper than the Nikkor 14-24. There are a few 14mm f/2.8 primes from Tamron, Samyang and (IIRC) Sigma but the Samyang will be manual focus (but will have an automatic/camera controlled aperture in Nikon fit - again IIRC). The Sigma 12-24 and the Tamron 14mm both take slot in filters behind the rear element or can have filters bodged onto their hoods using BluTak or tape if required.

20mm f1.8G, small, light, great lens but then i don't use wide very often, it was only used for northern lights shots

It also depends on how wide you want to go. 18-35 on a cropped sensor is like 29 - 52mm ish equivalent on the D700.

The 17-35 2.8 is o.k but relatively expensive.

I have not used the 16-35 and have heard mixed things about it and it is f4.

If you have used a zoom before a prime may not be ideal.

In a similar type of range have you considered the Sigma Art 24-35 f2? This is not a widely reviewed lens, but i think that this is a brilliant lens but of course i would say that as i own one.

The sigma ART 14-24 2.8 is an incredible lens.

I swear it was designed for an image circle larger than full frame.

Back