Best zoom lens.....

Name
andy
Edit My Images
No
Im looking for a new zoom lens for use at airshows, wildlife ect ect, was looking at the canon 100-400 is, but i think id rather spend abit less on the zoom and buy a widangle too, anyone with any opinions of some half decent glass in the zoom and wideangle spec's...

cheers andy.......(y)

If you don't need the range, I've got the Canon 70-300 IS, and I love it! And it's half the price of the 100-400. Got it for just shy of £300 with hood and filter.

As for wideangle, how about the Sigma 10-20, or the (pricier) Canon 10-22? Both come held in really high regard!

Chris

Pretty sharp! The IS really helps, and unless you go into L territory you're not going to get anything that sharp, or at that range (bar the 100-400). Here are a few shots, the woodpecker is a pretty heavy crop, the rowing one less so:

Sorry, I haven't got any bigger shots uploaded, but I'm sure there'll be someone along to help soon. The 70-300 IS has been described as a 'hidden L lens' by some reviewers, so it's really not too bad!

Chris

^^^ Agree with Chris321, on both lenses. Just make sure you don't need the extra reach of the 100-400mm. Well, you do actually, but can you get by without it? For wildlife? Hmm...

Stick with the 100-400 idea I reckon, I had the same dilema and never regretted spending the extra although I bought 2nd hand. For wildlife you really can't get long enough.

Next best alternative is probably the Canon 70-300 IS as mentioned above.

In fact just buy 2nd hand and get the 100-400 and either a Sigma 10-20 or Canon 10-22 if you can afford the extra pennies :p

Stick with the 100-400 idea I reckon, I had the same dilema and never regretted spending the extra although I bought 2nd hand. For wildlife you really can't get long enough.

Agreed (y) Buy the best lens you can afford. Dont be compromised, you dont want to upgrade many times (and lost some money in the process).

Im looking for a new zoom lens for use at airshows, wildlife ect ect,
And the title of the thread is "Best zoom lens....".

You know the answer.

Now if the title of the thread was "Second best zoom lens", or "Cheap but not too bad zoom lens", then it might be a bit more interesting.

The 70-300 IS is a good lens. I am yearning for a bit more reach for wildlife in the garden. I find that for me, the lens is a bit soft past 220mm, but that is possibly my bad technique, as I have found it difficult to reproduce this when using static/test targets.
The focus speed is very good on ai-servo.
As I yearn for better reach, then I am thinking 100-400 is the next step. (I can't afford a 400 prime).
I am not sure though, that by getting the 70-300IS instead of the 100-400LIS, that you are going to save enough to get a decent wide-angle.

As I yearn for better reach, then I am thinking 100-400 is the next step. (I can't afford a 400 prime).

If you can afford a 100-400 zoom you can afford the 400mm f5.6. The priime is slightly cheaper than the zoom, if you shop carefully.

If you can afford a 100-400 zoom you can afford the 400mm f5.6. The priime is slightly cheaper than the zoom, if you shop carefully.

Strictly yes. However what I neglected to mention is that /I/ would really like IS as well. I find it a godsend on the 70-300. I don't think I could manage without it at a longer focal length.
Ok, I could use a tripod/monopod instead, but then I think I would find that I don't use the lens as much as I should [having paid that much for it].

I think I want the moon on a stick, and a big lottery win.

I have the canon 70-300IS and find this lens great, yet like you, I'm waiting for a 100-400!!! :)

I wanted a little more reach and bought a second hand Sigma 170-500mm F4.5-5.6 and must say that it is remarkably sharp at 500 in comparison to what I was expecting, there is slight softness but nothing that destroys an image and it can easily be rectified with a little photoshop.

* Only two downside with the lens is that it does not have IS/OS etc so monopod is prefered as handheld is quite difficult.

* With an 86mm front element any filters are B****y expensive!

Back