Better than Avalon gig - 4th Sept 08.

Edit My Images
Yes
First of all, a paid job as I am covering this band on and off. When covering bands, I charge £25.00 per band member, which equates to £125.00 for the shoot. Nice earner, but remember that I left the house at 7.30 and got home at 10.30 and then began a quick edit on the images so that the band can lift some images from Flickr as they has a series of gigs coming up. Tonight my kit bag consisted of a D3, a 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8 and a speedlite if needed. I also took 2 x 4 gig UDMA cards which I had no intention of filling. The flash was an 'in case' thing.

So, upon arrival at the venue, as ever, the first thing I did was to look up and think about the lighting. It seemed OK, but then the barman turned more lights off so it went down a touch. However, no issues for the D3. Right, normally, I work in full stops to expedite exposure and according to purists, full stops are less prone to noise than halves and thirds of a stop. However, tonight I put all of my options to thirds so I could shoot at +3200, but not 6400, thus enabling me to use 4000 and 5000. I started with the 85mm 1.8 but stopped it down to 2.2 as generally, most lenses become a lot sharper 2 stops down, but I am again not sure if this is full/half or thirds of a stop relevant. However, I dont worry about it as the 85mm 1.8 is a sharp lens at its widest. I also used the 50mm for 4 of the 8 songs, so a 50/50 split to get a little tighter.

The lighting was variable and being honest, I knew that most images would be pushed through light room so there was tolerance in the exposure and colour. The usual gig rule of thumbs applied here. Stuff like red light - black and white, though the aged photo action in light room handles this quite well. Most things were going to go black and white however so when converting, I pushed the black levels slightly just to make the images a little more low key.

To manage the exposure I shot manually, but of course depending on the light source hitting the subject and how, this can jump about a bit so you just continually work on the fly and manage your exposure. I prefer to under expose and bring up if needed though of late I have been working with a lighting expert who suggests that you should push your images to over as much as you can without blowing them as this will yield more data from the RAW file. However, I cant see how this can be the case, as in my head, generally, when an image is blown, thats it, but you can bring out dark and shadow detail if under.

With reference to the jumpy exposure, you could shoot in aperture mode and let the camera do the work but I have found images to have better colour, be sharper and exhibit less noise if in the lovely M mode. I also applied continuous focussing mode to adapt to the movement of the band (AI servo in Canon).

So, there you go, a few pointers on what to do. Why not hit a local pub and take a few snaps? Two years ago I did just that. I bought a nifty fifty and started taking band photos in the Wellington Pub. You can be a benevolent photographer to start with as people love seeing themselves, but during this spell you can start to learn how to manage your camera and ultimately, manage light. Whilst these images are tight, do bare in mind that I was booked to shoot exactly the way I last covered this band, which was a similar low key look.

I hope this helps. Of course, I await a reply regarding my exposure query from one of the resident scientists. I am not sure how or why and I cant be bothered to sit down and find out as I would rather be out taking photos.

Shot one is my 'shot of the night.' A nice rim light on the lead singer, giving him a nice Rattle and Hum moment. He loved it - just goes to show that light can make a fleapit location look like somewhere far better. Also a slight variant on flickr with the colour left in.

Finally, the Gibson Flying V in the last shot used to be mine. I sold it to a mate nearly two years ago and it has had various owners, but how funny that I run into it tonight. I suppose decent guitars are like women in that you never forget the ones you really liked ! It is matt black with a black scratch plate and is a seriously heavy guitar when played through a decent stack.

Enjoy and I hope this helps you understand how the shots were made.

2829277168_0a0a3149d8.jpg

2829255784_e83d5a0aa5.jpg

2828403707_f29a02133e.jpg

2828411981_43c8b649d8.jpg

2829236550_f2d15cbbbe.jpg

2829229496_d34e9ce518.jpg

2829243234_ceb0814773.jpg

2829231298_d9b92c54b8.jpg

2829251262_05045f5963.jpg

2828387305_0bea1c70b7.jpg

Last edited:
Well done on getting paid for the images. I guess there are two problems with gig shots: one is the lighting and the other is who is interested in the band/ group. #1 is my favourite, less being more in this instance. Great set.

These are great band shots, Pete.

The major thing about band shots for me is usually the noise... but these are so free of it, they are brilliant.

And thanks for the insight, I will be inwardly digesting! (y)

Last edited:
These are great band shots, Pete.

The major thing about band shots for me is usually the noise...

I usually wear ear muffs,helps with the noise

Nice set of photos there,they should be pleased

Great to get so much detail about the shoot you did and a superb set of shots to accompany the detail. Thanks for sharing(y)

Good stuff D, well worth the money if you ask me. I love number one. I thought you would have taken more flashguns with you and used gels to get different coloured light and add another look to your images?

Ally as you well know, flash and gigs are a big no no really :nono::D

Nice set...very well done!! Do you do many paying jobs with bands? A guy from uni does music videos professionally :)

Excellent pics!

I've just bought a 350d and a nifty 50.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend to gigs, it only has upto 1600 ISO

Do you think this will be an issue?

Cheers

Really like the shots with the blue cast, the others are good but those two are my fave.

Gary.

Love all of your stuff and these are no exceptions, and thanks for all the excellent info on set ups etc.
I have 2 local gigs (the M Club and the Limelight, both in Crewe) and I've always fancied taking the camera but I'm not sure what the protocol is. Do clubs mind, do bands mind?
Also could I have the benefit of your knowledge on this shot (sorry to hijack the thread). It was taken at an outdoor gig in the dark with only the on camera flash. I knew it wasn't going to be great as the guy never stood still, so I decided to go for a
70's rock album look. Any ideas how I could have made it better, or got a better shot originally. I was about 50 ft from the stage.

Cheers

Andy

Jeremy-b_w.jpg

Back