Better to see you with...

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
This was a smallish one, so I actually put my 21mm extension tube and still cropped it a little bit to get rid of what you can see in the second shot taken at 2:1 magnification...

I used the diffused ringflash ( Version 1 Beta... ;) )

Paul.

How close did you have to get to subject at 2:1 with tube?

Something that concerned me but the detail keeps blowing me away with this lens. Sharp sharp fricking sharp.

Now I have to try it with my lighting not sure it will work if I have to get too much closer to the subject. Time to go B&Q :)

What did you ask for when you went?

Edit : Just did a quick check 20mm tube gives scene width of 9mm so 2.4:1 mag and doesn't make you too close :)

Last edited:
I don't really look how close tbh, I just keep moving into the subject until it gets to the right place, then press the shutter cable release... Pretty close though to the ring-flash which makes it look closer than it really would be when looked at from the front and side.

The fly I think was almost touching it - probably why there are no eye-lights... :facepalm: :)

Paul.

Just done another check 36mm gives scene width of 7.5mm or 2.9:1 and a workable distance for Collembola.

:D

TC 1.4x gives 8mm scene width so 2.75:1

@TimmyG there you go some tests :)

Last edited:
It'll be pretty dark though - 1½ to 2 stops of light less I reckon..?

Paul.

Only way to find out is if I/we try.... my setup seemed to light the ruler fine :D RF may be too close but if you put a 1.4x TC on it too that would move you further away again so RF could work there. :D

See my Sigma one has a large element sticks out at the front and wont take this lens. I need one that does, and if it fits yours, it'll fit mine... Must see if I can get a buyer for mine.

None of the KE versions on Ebay though...

Paul.

Last edited:
Two "Excellent" shots Paul, the detail is amazing and the lighting from the ring flash is very nice and so even.(y)

George.

Two "Excellent" shots Paul, the detail is amazing and the lighting from the ring flash is very nice and so even.(y)

George.

Cheers George :)

Well, that's dinner f****d. Great shot. Certainly got a shifty look to it lol

Dinner, lol... These wee beasties add extra flavour we don't know about when they visit our plates when we are not looking too... :)

Paul.

Back