"Better" Travel Tripod

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've current got 2x tripods, a "proper" Manfrotto Carbon (190) and an older Aluminum Befree Travel Pod, I also have a Gorillapod Focus and its ok but not as sturdy as I'd like.

I bought the Befree mainly because at the time it was cheap but thats not so much of an issue now so I'm looking for some advice on what would be a better travel tripod, ideally as light as possible (thinking Carbon Fibre) as while the Befree does a job I feel that something a little higher might be of benefit at times.

What's wrong with the 190 as a travel tripod? It's what I use and have an 055 for the heavier stuff. It would save time trying to find a light tripod. Just get a smaller lighter head for the 190 and put that head on a new larger tripod. Food for thought :)

The new carbon befree looked very nice at the photography show.
I too have the aluminium befree and it's ok for what I want. Small goes in the suitcase. It's a compromise on weight it can take but works ok for a 5d mk3 and 70-200

What's wrong with the 190 as a travel tripod? It's what I use and have an 055 for the heavier stuff. It would save time trying to find a light tripod. Just get a smaller lighter head for the 190 and put that head on a new larger tripod. Food for thought :)

Thats a decent shout actually, need to check the closed length but could be a goer! Always like the fact that the Befree either fit inside a standard backpack or wasn't that noticeable strapped to it, I can't say that about the "proper" pod!

The new carbon befree looked very nice at the photography show.
I too have the aluminium befree and it's ok for what I want. Small goes in the suitcase. It's a compromise on weight it can take but works ok for a 5d mk3 and 70-200

Yeah the Carbon one is an option, I wouldn't mind some extra height but could maybe live with the same but lighter!

If the restriction is the max closed length for fitting in a suitcase, remember you can remove the centre column & head while in transit - when I went to Iceland it meant I was able to squeeze my 055 into our suitcase (with the column and head beside the legs).

I guess it depends on the size of the suitcase, your weight allowance with the other things in the suitcase. For me I tend to travel light with a small suitcase so the befree worked well for me. I went aluminum party for cost but I thought it might withstand the baggage handlers efforts better.

I've a redsnapper carbon with manfrotto head, plus a 055 both with shoulder bags. I find the 055 rock solid but heavy/large, the redsnaper light, easy to carry and steady but long for airline travel, and the befree small, light but with some limitations on weight/stability, especially on fully extended, but used sensibly it's fine.

I pick the tripod depending on requirements/travel plans. Big two are fine if in the car and not much walking :)

Last edited:
Secondhand Gitzo, my rucksack tripod is a G1158, older model, but has the leg locks that can all be operated together or in any order.
Weighs about 1kg and folds down to approx 18ins, with column down its about 4ft tall and column up adds an extra 9ins

Gitzo 1550T here - sweet small and light - but quite rigid and fairly cheap. Mine was £140 second hand, but I don't think it had been on many trips!

I bought this one at the photography show last year. It fold up really small and is very light. I prefer it to my carbon fibre manfrotto. ( I hope I have copied the link ok)

Nest NT-6294CK Carbon Fibre professional tripod
by Nest
Link: http://amzn.eu/8F5jlF9

by Nest

How about Feisol? Expensive but good. I've got a CT-3371 as my "heavy" tripod. Weights about the same as a manfrotto 055 but takes "a ton" and is a stable taller platform for my medium and large format gear. When economy allows I'll look for a lighter Feisol for travel and the small cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you prefer Manfrotto-style lever locks on the legs or are you also happy with twist locks? If it's the former then your choice is either the CF BeFree or the Sirui ET-1204X. I went from ally BeFree to Sirui and have not regretted it.

Last year at the Photography Show I had a good look at the Vanguard range and was impressed. I only bought one of their monopods but it's served me well so far.

Nothing beats a Gitzo Traveller on size/weight/stability ratio. Nothing beats them on price either ;)

Nothing beats a Gitzo Traveller on size/weight/stability ratio. Nothing beats them on price either ;)

I have spotted a nice Gitzo..... and I haven't yet been put off by the cost... sitting in my Amazon Basket but not yet braved hitting the order button!

I had a look at one in Park Cameras, wasn't really impressed with the tripod & the price was shocking !

My (now quite old) Giottos Vitruvian CF does me well. Kept the D750 and 24-120 stable enough in Iceland's breezes (about Force 8!) a couple of years ago and is light enough for me not to worry about taking it on holiday. Folds down small enough to fit in my smallish hold baggage and extends high enough not to give me a bad back. I've fitted a Manfrotto top plate adapter so I can use the same QR system across all my supports. Wasn't cheap but was well worth the expense. The only problem it has is that the rubbers on the leg clamp rings has split so they're now superglued on!

Is this the befree one you have or the standard befree?

I had a look at one in Park Cameras, wasn't really impressed with the tripod & the price was shocking !

I have one of the new Gitzo Mountaineer tripods (GT1532) and you cannot fail to be impressed with the quality.
It's much more refined than the GT1541 it was bought to replace and that isn't exactly shoddy, just little things like seals on the leg locks and easier to use ground level set.

Must admit I have a weakness for nicely made carbon fibre stuff, think it's the weave, had a lovely Daiwa beachcaster for much the same reasons (it performed great too)

Gitzos don't usually have the highest spec in terms of size/weight, they don't have gimmicky features or flashy coloured parts, and they certainly don't compete on value for money. But if you know what to look for, a few quick checks will show clear mechanical superiority. I must have tested 50-odd tripods over the last few years for my work, and very broadly speaking, Gitzos are at least as stable as the next size up from other brands.

That's not to say though that others are not very capable of doing an excellent job.

I had a requirement when I bought my travel tripod it has to be 30cm or under when folded, weight about 1kg. I can make do a lot of the times doing long exposure shots, using the environment to balance the camera so I don't need a big thing.

Ended up with this, 055 Pro on the left.

s2Qmvqk.png

3zye57x.jpg

Gx3Vdnn.jpg

KYaag7V.jpg

CtISBRb.jpg

PsUk68k.png

pns45Qg.png

Gitzos don't usually have the highest spec in terms of size/weight, they don't have gimmicky features or flashy coloured parts, and they certainly don't compete on value for money.

I wasn't after gimmicks or flashy colours, the spec vs value for money had me buying elsewhere :)

(now got a Mefoto Globetrotter CF & "accidental" 3LT Nigel)

To me twist-locks coupled with a multplicity of sections are a huge no-no! I don't like twist-locks anyway. Not for something that you operate often. Cam levers as per Manfrotto every time. Quick! And they're adjustable for tension / wear. A product of good engineering thinking.

To me twist-locks coupled with a multplicity of sections are a huge no-no! I don't like twist-locks anyway. Not for something that you operate often. Cam levers as per Manfrotto every time. Quick! And they're adjustable for tension / wear. A product of good engineering thinking.

I agree but for travel, compromises has to be made somewhere. Plus I'm travelling, not in a rush so it's fine.

Back