Beyond 2:1 Bellows

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Took delivery of a set of bellows yesterday and i can see a massive learning curve trying to get good shots using them - minimal DOF and there like a black hole devouring light. Any tips, hints or lens recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The following are the first few - not the best but hopefully I'll improve :)

1)
flyhead1.jpg

2)
tenner.jpg

3)
flyhead.jpg

4)
tenner1.jpg

5)
crane.jpg

Last edited:
Good for inanimate objects or drops but a pain in the butt for anything else that moves, you need to get light to the end of the lens to see what's going on above 3:1. That problem is the same with the MP-e but the MT-24 macro lite has built in focussing lamps which are a complete dream. Damn good images though Paul (y)

Good for inanimate objects or drops but a pain in the butt for anything else that moves, you need to get light to the end of the lens to see what's going on above 3:1. That problem is the same with the MP-e but the MT-24 macro lite has built in focussing lamps which are a complete dream. Damn good images though Paul (y)

Thanks Alby - the R1C1 has a single LED on each flash head but there not much use in all honesty

These are wonderful shots (y), more so as they are your first go with the bellows.

Would you care to tell us what you've used to get these shots? Which bellow and lens did you get to use here?

If you want to use bellows on live insects, you will have to "freez" them a bit. This sounds too nasty, but either that or use ether to dope them a bit so that you can shoot.

These are wonderful shots (y), more so as they are your first go with the bellows.

Would you care to tell us what you've used to get these shots? Which bellow and lens did you get to use here?

If you want to use bellows on live insects, you will have to "freez" them a bit. This sounds too nasty, but either that or use ether to dope them a bit so that you can shoot.

Thanks Wail i used a set of Nikon PB-6 bellows and a Sigma 105mm macro set at 1:1 lighting was provided by 2 x SBR-200's & a SB600.

Wicked bellows that PB-6 is (y); did you just buy it recently? That's some huge investment, I'd say.

How come you didn't use the R1C1? I noticed you've said that they are pretty useless, would you mind to clarify on that, please.

Wicked bellows that PB-6 is (y); did you just buy it recently? That's some huge investment, I'd say.

How come you didn't use the R1C1? I noticed you've said that they are pretty useless, would you mind to clarify on that, please.

The PB-6 arrived yesterday :D its a used one - I've been waiting for a while for one to turn up on ebay. the R1C1 is a excellent bit of kit ( the SBR-200's i used are the flashes contained in the R1C1 kit) i was referring to the led's that are used to provide extra light for focusing that are pretty useless - they are a bit weak. I was going to get a set of bellows from link delight (ebay) with a focus rail but when you add up the cost / postage / Duty / duty collection fee etc your not a million miles away from the used price of a set of genuine nikon bellows if you're patient.

Last edited:
Oh .. ok , sorry I got it wrong.

As for the PB-6; good catch in getting one. They are no longer made by Nikon, even though they are some of the best bellows. What do you use to mount them on your tripod?

As for the PB-6; good catch in getting one. They are no longer made by Nikon, even though they are some of the best bellows. What do you use to mount them on your tripod?

It's mounted onto a Redsnapper Ball Head and yes the PB-6 appears to be very well engineered.

Paul,

A good attempt at these higher levels....the challenge level is exponential to the magnification increase.

I'm just trying to perfect a similar setup (using Canon gear). I've got an old Canon FD bellows set with a few tubes and mount adapters. I chose a 20mm lens so that the extension has a larger effect on magnification and an LED ring lighting system to assist with focussing. Calculations (if correct) show it'll give me around 18-20x magnification at the high end.....I've got about 14x so far (1.5mm fills the 30D's sensor). My problem at the moment is getting the light on the front of the subject....the working distance is around 10mm at these mag levels and all the light is coming in from the sides.....hacksaw is primed and ready.

I'll pass on more if I get there....

Bob

Paul,

A good attempt at these higher levels....the challenge level is exponential to the magnification increase.

I'm just trying to perfect a similar setup (using Canon gear). I've got an old Canon FD bellows set with a few tubes and mount adapters. I chose a 20mm lens so that the extension has a larger effect on magnification and an LED ring lighting system to assist with focussing. Calculations (if correct) show it'll give me around 18-20x magnification at the high end.....I've got about 14x so far (1.5mm fills the 30D's sensor). My problem at the moment is getting the light on the front of the subject....the working distance is around 10mm at these mag levels and all the light is coming in from the sides.....hacksaw is primed and ready.

I'll pass on more if I get there....

Bob

:eek::eek: 18-20x how much distance between the body & lens for that magnification... let us know how you get on and post some pic's. I'm currently watching ebay for a 20mm f2.8 which should give me a max of 11x magnification with my bellows - i'll need the PB-6 extension to get to 22x:D

:eek::eek: 18-20x how much distance between the body & lens for that magnification... let us know how you get on and post some pic's. I'm currently watching ebay for a 20mm f2.8 which should give me a max of 11x magnification with my bellows - i'll need the PB-6 extension to get to 22x:D

I'm looking at 180-200mm sensor to front element distance but the MFD gets too close to the lens to get the light in between the lens and the subject. The front element of the lens is set in a chamfered enclosure but the angle relates to around 10mm WD. I need to rig up a white LED affair and a system of small mirrors to cluster around the front element.

Here's the old Canon data sheet for the lens although the table details the 35mm version... http://www.canonfd.com/macrophotolenses/macrophotolenses.pdf

Bob

Impressive shots...cranefly close up looks cracking on my moby :)

If you're doing these on a tripod how about using a torch held by a plant clamp? For full flash (low iso, max sync speed) I expect it won't matter about switching the torch off for the exposure...I doubt it'll show in the pics.

I agree with Alby that the lights on the Canon MT-24ex are really handy. The MR-14ex also has them but it doesn't have the custom function that lets you switch the focus lamps on with a double half press of the shutter :(

Impressive shots...cranefly close up looks cracking on my moby :)

If you're doing these on a tripod how about using a torch held by a plant clamp? For full flash (low iso, max sync speed) I expect it won't matter about switching the torch off for the exposure...I doubt it'll show in the pics.

I agree with Alby that the lights on the Canon MT-24ex are really handy. The MR-14ex also has them but it doesn't have the custom function that lets you switch the focus lamps on with a double half press of the shutter :(

I was thinking of mounting some 10mm LED's to a modified lens hood to try to get light on the front of the suject for focusing

Those are excellent!

What is #2?

Thanks Tessy - no 2 is a security mark from a £10.00 note and #4 is the Queens eye from a £10.00

Thanks! I never would have guessed #2. I figured #4 was money th0. It's the evil queen huh? :D

Dogfish_magnet,

How is this coming along? I was flicking through various threads I've bookmarked "read and learn" and came back to this. Would love to get your input on the PB-6 now that you've had more time to play with it.

I have made up twin flash`s fitted to a bracket in line with the front lens. This is more than adequate light when using my Canon bellows.Pity I am not allowew to send attachments of same.

You could post a picture of your rig? Would love to see what you've done to overcome the light issue.

Oop`s forgot to mention, there is a ring of 6 superbrite led`s between the strobe tubes for focussing the shot. All supplied from a power pack.

Pictures, oldfella, pictures please :bat::bat::bat:

alien eyes!! very good pics

Back