BG-E11 Battery Grip For the canon 5D mk iii

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Is this grip really worth the £300 when there are grips out there that are half the price..

anyone used or have a non canon grip can give me some info are they worth it or not ?

Joe

I've only used the genuine grip, so can't comment directly on 3rd party ones, but Meike grips seem to get very good reviews / followings.

I personally wouldn't use a cheap grip and would be picky where I bought a 3rd party one from - to avoid cheap copies...

Yea im the same just wondering... they dont sell the ones with the Wi -Fi in it do they ??

Some of the bigger complaints include lack of sealing (effectively exposing the body to moisture) and battery drain. Even genuine one lacks one key seal round the battery compartment. I saw some suggestions to apply some rubber over there...

I wouldn't mind myself something cheaper, really not too sure, but £300 for a piece of imperfect plastic is way too much IMHO.

I've got a Meike grip on my 5D3 and it's fantastic. I got the one with the joystick on it and it works perfectly. I've also got a Meike grip on my 7D which also works perfectly, as does the grip on the wifes 650D.

I also had Meike grips on a 60D, another 7D and a 5D2 and all of the have worked perfectly. The grip on the wifes 650D was the one that came off my first dslr, a 550D, and is now over 3 years old and still going strong. The only grip I've had any problems with was the Pixel grip for my 5D3 cause it was the early model with the battery drain problem that has been corrected.

Here's the Meike grip fitted to my 5D3, it fits really well on the body and is very solidly built.

8252449068_e0fd1405ee_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8252445810_29a88bc579_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Modchild, does the meike grip has the m-fn button next to the shutter button ?

Just to add my 2p, I always incorporate a battery grip into my purchase of the camera. I've got large hands so need it and it adds balance to the camera with heavier lenses. I've always bought Canon grips, but I have to say that I don't think the price is very fair considering what it is. I used to think that the ones for the 300D, 30D and 60D were priced about right as you could pick them up for about £100-£130 new each time. With the 5dmk3 the price jump is horrendous. I know they price things with a mind to separating the lower end of the market from the higher, but we've just splashed out £3k on a camera from them so it seems a bit harsh!

Still, there's enough stress in my life without having 3rd party problems, so I just stick to Canon brand accessories for my kit and in 8-9 years I haven't had a single issue.

i had this dilemma after buying my 5D Mk3.
Looked at all the 3rd party ones as £300+ was way beyond my budget.
Read as much info as i could find and found lots of the pixel grips had battery drain problems, even the later ones which were alledgedly 'fixed'. others didn't have the metal plate that connects to the tripod screw plate which was a major problem as i use a black rapid strap and didn't want to trust £2000+ dangling off a mount secured by a tiny bit of plastic! others had complaints of joypads breaking after days etc.
In the end i found onestop were selling genuine Canon ones for £185, so got one off them. (y)

Saul01, unfortunately the seller I used hasn't got any stock but the seller was 'MuchMall' but here's a link to their ebay pages if you want to keep an eye out http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/muchmall/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2654

Chee, yes it does have the m-n button next to the shutter. Having looked at a Canon grip the Meike has all the same buttons, the same on/off switch and the same battery release lock. It looks exactly the same but the rubberised finish has a different pattern to it but it doesn't alter the functionality of it. I've shot around 8000 photos with it and never a moments problem.

I've got Meike grips on both my 7D and 5D3.

Never used a genuine grip so have nothing to compare to, but have never had any major problems. Used to have battery drain issues with my Phottix grip on my 450D, but not had that so far with the Meike grips.

Works fine for me. I think there are forum issues with links at the moment.

Show's as listing has been removed. Do you have the shop name there by any chance?

Thanks

The link worked for me, but it's the grip without the joystick that the link goes to. There's loads of grips on ebay that don't have the joystick but there's not many that do. If I was going for a grip I'd want the joystick on it TBH so you need to look carefully.

Back