Captive Big Ben

Great composition and crazy cool tones!

I really like that from the sharp very clean foreground to the smoggy? Back Ground of the the Houses of Parliament

Nice composition and colours.

lovely colours - soft green and gold - and a different composition to the norm. The black blobs/birds in the sky are distracting but you could clone them out easily enough if you wanted to. The scaffolding is a pain but we have to live with that. I like that you have busses and taxis in the shot. I'd revisit if conditions favour you and try to make these more prominent in the frame then sell this to tourist firms. It would just scream "London!!!"

nice shot as always busy, surreal colour.
As requested, this is the last shot i took of Big Ben on a lumix as the wife banned me from taking my DSLR on a night out on the EYE

Trawling through some old colour slides I came across this image of Big Ben. The colours were badly distorted due to age so I have tried a black & white conversion. I will leave you to decide what year the slide was made as I have forgotten.

bigben.jpg

Trawling through some old colour slides I came across this image of Big Ben. The colours were badly distorted due to age so I have tried a black & white conversion. I will leave you to decide what year the slide was made as I have forgotten.

View attachment 59631

I love this shot but would have no idea when it was taken. I don't even recognise the van in the back ground!

I do like the picture , its interesting to see the Houses of Parliament in context as part of the London street scene.

(In reference to Norman's picture. The van looks like an early Ford Transit and the bus could be a Leyland Atlantean?, may be early 70s)

Last edited:
Thought I'd post my current shot of Big Ben and would love others to post theres. Would be interesting to see other people perspectives.

Big Ben Sunset by Dave Woodyatt, on Flickr

David I love the colours and the effect but I am with ianmarsh and got drawn to the scaffolding and foreground more than Big Ben. You are not allowing editing of your images but I would try to crop keeping the same image proportions taking the left corner and bottom out to just in front of the second taxi. Keep the lamp post in with the edge of the bridge as a leading line. Also remove the two planes from the sky. You will also get rule of thirds.

Have you opened up the right side crop? I didn't see that building there before and it's stronger constrast it pulling me away slightly. It's a shame to lose the lamppost as it fills the left side sky.

Personally, I only noticed the scaffolding when it was pointed out, thought it was a good image regardless. It's a bit contradictory to what I just said in regards to the right side but for me it'd be like removing some of the people like the person in the high-vis or the foreground people that are ever so slightly blurred. It is what it is and what it is, is a nice picture.

View attachment 59631
It's definitely after 1973.

Pedant alert... that's not Big Ben. It's the clock tower.

I do like it though. I don't normally like shots with people in but it works very well here.

Steve.

Back