Big cats

An excellent hour of TV.

I wonder if that Canon 50 to 1000mm lens could be adapted to fit a DSLR.

Chris

Just watching the recording now, looks good :)

BBC 1

The guys that make these programmes are something else! Amazing.

Did you see the road they drove on to get to the snow leopards? Gave me the heebie jeebies at this distance.

Aren't they just magical creatures, all of them, from the tiny Rusty to the magnificent Tigers and all the others, so hard to pick a favourite. As always, fantastic photography made all the better by knowing just how hard it is.

A wonderful programme and amazing cinematography, I think it's the first time I've ever been tempted to put a saucer of milk in front of the TV in the hope that one of those beautiful animals might find a new home with me. :)

Will definitely be catching this on iPlayer - I pick Mrs Nod up from work every Thursday evening so we'll miss it when it's "live" on air.

Ep1 repeated on Sunday 14th @15:30

I have set the recorder on Freeview channel 101 BBC 1 HD

Amazing programme, really stunning filming.
I was lucky enough to see many of the rarer species at the RSCT in Kent, including a Rusty Spotted that was being hand reared
They had the most people friendly cloudy leopards I have ever seen, and many others

(would this be better in Talk Nature ?)

Another devotee here. It's introduced some new species to me and was a reminder yet again of how little some of our 'pet' cats are removed from the wild. So many characteristics and actions I saw in my 5 cats came straight from their wild cousins. I'll probably watch it on iplayer just to see it all again.
The 'making of' bit that they show at the end of so many natural history programmes now is great - you can really appreciate the research and work that went into it, and the respect the makers have for the animals. The guys in tears watching the snow leopard.................. That road, though............. I'd have been out and walking.

Not putting these here for critique, but just to illustrate that we went to a Wildlife Sanctuary in South Africa a couple of years back and one of the things you get to do is walk their cheetahs and then feed and groom them.

It was a truly magical and humbling experience and one which I would encourage anyone to do. This wasn't one of those places where they keep animals chained up and poke them to make them roar for photos, but a true rescue and education centre.

We also got to go in with the Servals and Lion cubs, but not the Caracals or their leopard, Some shots:

18275_10152560068981021_2330027626722801942_n.jpg

1090903_10152560047406021_4570916129876209756_o.jpg

11001770_10152560053696021_106136737303463254_n.jpg

Great program, looking forward to the rest of the series

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed the 1st episode. Might have just me imagining it but I'm sure they used some scenes from Planet Earth II

Have to be honest, I just watched it again.
It's superb.

Great program, the rest are set to record and I fully expect them to be every bit as good - nature documentaries are something the BBC has become very good at!

Settled in the chair, wife switched off ... ready! :D

Wonderful but no chance of anything like that in this country.

There's the wildlife Heritage Foundation down in Kent who organise photographers days. TP organised one back in 2010
Whilst not in with the cats, you can get close for lots of great shots.

he's the tiger breathing on my 10-22mm lens
125684313.jpg

125687013.jpg

Last edited:
Back