"Big" Filter Kits (Tamron 15-30 / Nikon 14-24)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at picking up another UWA lens and as much as I'd probably like to pickup a Zeiss 21mm prime (as its mostly for shooting on a tripod anyway) the current price of the much vaunted Nikon 14-24 and the supposedly very close Tamron 15-30 are very tempting, I've never been too keen on the 16-35 Nikon having had a few copies.

The downer I guess is the lack of a filter thread and I know there are options out there to fit but has anyone used any of them?

Chris, I'm using the Progrey filter holder and adaptors for other lenses.Fantastic quality and better than the Lee system i used in the past. I have the Progrey 10 stop which doesn't give a colour cast like the Lee big stopper does( had the big stopper in the past).I do use the Lee ND Grads etc though but would happily try the Progrey as well. Cant fault the pro grey in any way.

I used the Lee filters 150 system for the Nikon 14-24 at first and found it to be a bit of a pain. I now use the NiSi filters and holder. I am much happier with the NiSi set up. The holder is better and so are the filters. Plus they do a bigger range than Lee. I have to say I am an ambassador for NiSi but really do find both the 100mm and 150mm systems better than the others. I can supply you with an email address to get them direct from NiSi which will save you a few £'s.

I bought Tamron 15-30 but didn't use it yet, just got it from post office 2 days ago and got busy, the problem is i have the filters already, but not yet the filter holder for it.

I used the Lee filters 150 system for the Nikon 14-24 at first and found it to be a bit of a pain. I now use the NiSi filters and holder. I am much happier with the NiSi set up. The holder is better and so are the filters. Plus they do a bigger range than Lee. I have to say I am an ambassador for NiSi but really do find both the 100mm and 150mm systems better than the others. I can supply you with an email address to get them direct from NiSi which will save you a few £'s.
I use the Nisi 150mm system, I like the holder as it's cheaper than the Lee one plus doesn't need any extra parts to attach it the lens.
The filters on the other hand I'm not so pleased with. Very expensive and scratch very easily I find. Also the foam light gasket on my six stop ND came unstuck after just a few uses, I need to find out if it's possible to buy replacements to stick on myself?

Apparently the 20mm Nikon f2.8 prime is a great cheap used option, that's coming from Russ Barnes who seems to be a quality fanatic. MPB were selling a couple for around £280 a couple of weeks ago but they've sold out the looks of it, might be worth keeping an eye out though. I nearly bought one but decided to try a 16-35mm f4 for the extra width, didn't expect much but must have found a good copy as I can't fault the sharpness or quality, it's a shame you've had bad experiences as they are probably the best all round option easily taking filters. Not tried the 15-30 but I've had a couple of Tamrons and both superb. The 24-70mm f2.8 is better than Nikon's new version in my view

I too have the NiSi 150 holder for my Tamron 15-30. It's better than the Lee one but I did have it fall off once - it was screwed up tight however the screws weren't balanced so with their Cir-Pol it came lose from the weight. Luckily I caught it, otherwise it would've been very expensive.

I have the Lee filters for it (apart from pol) purely because they were available in Dubai and nothing else is. I ended up buying the NiSi from Amazon.

I too have the NiSi 150 holder for my Tamron 15-30. It's better than the Lee one but I did have it fall off once - it was screwed up tight however the screws weren't balanced so with their Cir-Pol it came lose from the weight. Luckily I caught it, otherwise it would've been very expensive.

I have the Lee filters for it (apart from pol) purely because they were available in Dubai and nothing else is. I ended up buying the NiSi from Amazon.
Yes, you do need to be careful to have it centred correctly and I can imagine tightening the screws in cold conditions might be a painful experience. Fine, dextrous gloves required I think! I have a mix of Lee and Nisi filters, got my Nisi ones from Amazon too. Was keen to have glass rather than resin but I've already broken the corner off one of my Nisi filters!

Folks, I'm effectively bumping my own old thread here!
I never did end up with a Tamron 15-30 last year however I now have the Pentax 15-30 f2.8 which is effectively the Tamron but "re-badged" meaning that any filter holder that fits the Tammy will fit the Pentax.
I think I'll sell on the Hitech Firecrest Holder I bought as it won't fit the Pentax and the Pentax 24-70 I have (again basically a re-badged Tamron 24-70) takes 82mm filters so the wider kit will do that too.

From the comments the Nisi seems like the holder to buy is there anything I'm missing since last Summer thats new or different?

Folks, I'm effectively bumping my own old thread here!
I never did end up with a Tamron 15-30 last year however I now have the Pentax 15-30 f2.8 which is effectively the Tamron but "re-badged" meaning that any filter holder that fits the Tammy will fit the Pentax.
I think I'll sell on the Hitech Firecrest Holder I bought as it won't fit the Pentax and the Pentax 24-70 I have (again basically a re-badged Tamron 24-70) takes 82mm filters so the wider kit will do that too.

From the comments the Nisi seems like the holder to buy is there anything I'm missing since last Summer thats new or different?
I had the Firecrest, I'm sure it was 82mm thread without a step up ring? I think the NISI is pretty much a similar sort of arrangement though never used it.

Last edited:
Thanks folks, I've gone for the Lee SW150II holder as it seemed to be the best one that would also allow me to use it with other lenses, so its been an expensive morning but will allow me to shift on my smaller Grad/ND filters and kit and invest my money in the holder that is compatible with all my lenses.
Will probably pickup a couple of Firecrest Circular filters for when I'm on holiday and not lugging the 15-30 or Lee holder!

Ordered: Lee SW150ii Holder, Tamron 15-30 & 82mm adaptor, Lee Field Pouch, Little Stopper II, Lee Polariser, Lee 0.9 Soft ND - PRICEY!!

Back