Big issue?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken from my FB page:

Saw this and if I'm honest - it's a bit emotional to see. Some people beg for money hoping passers by give them something, some would prefer to stand in the cold whilst hundreds of people pass them by...hoping that one gives him a pound.

Sometimes photos can tell a story and this for me, tells the story of a down on his luck man, hoping to earn his next meal.

1006300_10153147177890305_1287022915_n.jpg

Really nice photo..

One of the reasons I like street style photography is because you start to see people and your surroundings in a different way, most people are blind to what is around them.

Excellent!!!

Brilliant shot, one of the best I've seen for a long time. Reality captured!

Last edited:
Too many clichés for me, a Big Issue vendor, shot from behind with a slow shutter and selective colour. I don't think it tells a story that everybody doesn't already know. A more interesting story telling shot would be one which shows him as a bloke with his own life, his own problems, his own virtues and what he as a real individual person, just like you or me, is doing with his life.

Great photograph. So did you give the fella a donation ?

Big Issue vendors don't take donations, they run micro-businesses where they buy stock and sell it to customers for a profit. (y)

EDIT: Sorry didn't notice the section this was posted in. I just click links in recent posts and don't pay attention to the forum it's in.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised if you chat to the big issue seller. Most have interesting stories.

Too many clichés for me, a Big Issue vendor, shot from behind with a slow shutter and selective colour. I don't think it tells a story that everybody doesn't already know. A more interesting story telling shot would be one which shows him as a bloke with his own life, his own problems, his own virtues and what he as a real individual person, just like you or me, is doing with his life.

I don't take photos of down on their luck homeless people - no matter of how much story is behind it. This is as good as it gets for me in that department :)

Last edited:
That's really quite a powerful image.
It's like his life is standing still while the world continues around him at a frantic pace.

Very good indeed.

some of them that i have seen in glasgow have top of the range clothes on and some iv seen have £100-£250 of trainers on there feet that look split new now im not saying they are all like that but it makes you think, nice photo by the way it captures the moment,

Thats a really great photo and a good story it tells

I love it- the movement around this chap is symbolic of our fast paced lives

well caught

Les (y)

at least big issue sellers or the ones who make stuff are making an effort for my spare cash, them and homeless people with a dog are the only ones I consider giving my cash to after seeing a documentary about people who pretend and beg for a living making good money if they get the right spot

great image by the way

Never do I give cash to the homeless, if they are genuine most are happier to recieve a hot drink or a sandwich. Any I have given to have been given food/drink and a treat for any animal they may have with them. I can remember one "beggar" in Swansea who dressed poorly, begged all day then climbed into his top the range mercedes at the end of the day. Haven't seen him around for quite a few years now, don't know if he got caught out or just moved onto another town.

As for big issue sellers, most I would hope are genuine but theres definately some that are far from needy. Having said that I do like the image.

I will never forget my dad buying a pair of trainers in a shop in london, got out side decided he didnt like them and found the first homeless guy he could find and gave them to him. The bloke was over the moon with them. :)

Back