Big Kid + Mom

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
Normally it's families, kids, dogs... and the kids are normally 16 and under... This was something different for me. Mother and daughter, but just a wee bit older than I'm used to.

I'm actually quite pleased with how they turned out. For saying they were quite nervous about having their pictures taken, I think they did quite well.

Thanks for looking!

Stella by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Kel by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Stella and Kellie by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Mother Daughter by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Really love number 2. Can't work out whether her knee bothers me or not though. I mainly think not! X

Mom. Pfffft. What are you, Canadian or something?????

Really great set, #1 is brill. I can tell you enjoyed this shoot and it's nice to have a different subject to shoot. Good conversion too.

Absolutely love the B&W versions; all three of them. They work really well for me. Both seem so relaxed and enjoying it. Wonderful.

As always, love all your photos including the lighting and adore the pp.

Any pointers on the pp please as you do with the pull backs...

Thanks

Last edited:
All excellent examples of the art of the photo-portraitist, and the 2nd stands out among them for me- so well posed & composed, such empathy with the subject.

Hi Bethy,

They are up to your usual very high standard, but for me No. 1 is exceptional. The angle of both her head and the camera angle you have used complement each other perfectly and the way you have managed the fall off of the light intensity across her face is brilliant.

Just when I thought you couldn't get any better...
These are superb Bethy (and no cloning needed that I can see dammit!). Lighting, pose, connection with the subjects, B&W conversion - all spot on. Especially as it's quite different to your usual stuff. I'd also be interested in hearing about your PP if you feel like sharing but as everyone else has said...
Excellent.

Regards
Jim

Thank you to everyone for their 'likes' and comments below. Really overwhelmed by the positive feedback on this set. :)

Really love number 2. Can't work out whether her knee bothers me or not though. I mainly think not! X
Thanks Shaheed - Yes, I get what you're saying... and I will certainly look at it again.

Mom. Pfffft. What are you, Canadian or something?????

Really great set, #1 is brill. I can tell you enjoyed this shoot and it's nice to have a different subject to shoot. Good conversion too.
Thanks David. I did enjoy this shoot - I didn't have to watch my language quite so much,(not that I swear like a sailor, but I have been known to utter the occasional inappropriate-ism... and I didn't have to talk about bodily functions to get my subjects to laugh. :) We all sat down with a cup of tea before we started and just had a chat - which really relaxed everyone.

Absolutely love the B&W versions; all three of them. They work really well for me. Both seem so relaxed and enjoying it. Wonderful.
Thank you so much.. they expressed wanting primarily B&W photos, so I tried to shoot with that in mind, considering I was using a darker background and they were both dressed in black, the lighting needed a bit of extra attention.

As always, love all your photos including the lighting and adore the pp.

Any pointers on the pp please as you do with the pull backs...

Thanks
Thanks Kev. I don't actually do much in PP, some creative cropping and a bit of cleanup where needed (although @JimPMM usually manages to find my 'intentional mistake just for him) :)
Regards to the finished look, it's a preset that I made for Lightroom which gives me a nice 'matt' look, which I then tweak to suit. It's mostly about contrast and curves. The thing that takes me the most time is the actual culling... I struggle with this.

Fab ! Fab! Fab! Great subjects.1 is my fave followed by 3.

Gaz
Cheers dude... they were awesome subjects! And a good giggle too.

All excellent examples of the art of the photo-portraitist, and the 2nd stands out among them for me- so well posed & composed, such empathy with the subject.
Thank you Duncan. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm really pleased with them too.

Hi Bethy,

They are up to your usual very high standard, but for me No. 1 is exceptional. The angle of both her head and the camera angle you have used complement each other perfectly and the way you have managed the fall off of the light intensity across her face is brilliant.
Thank you Christopher. I do love my big Octa with grids... I think the light from it is exceptional when you get the right 'angle on the dangle' and bring it in nice and close.

Just when I thought you couldn't get any better...
These are superb Bethy (and no cloning needed that I can see dammit!). Lighting, pose, connection with the subjects, B&W conversion - all spot on. Especially as it's quite different to your usual stuff. I'd also be interested in hearing about your PP if you feel like sharing but as everyone else has said...
Excellent.

Regards
Jim
Ahhhh... I've been waiting for you to come along! :)
I actually deleted one of the photos that I had initially put on flickr to share here because of some stray hairs on the first one - I thought... yea, Jim's going to pick up on that! :)
As I mentioned above to Kev, I don't do a lot to my photos unless I've really screwed something up with the lighting and I need the shot. I do try to get the lighting right. I usually have the softbox(es) in that close, that quite often I need to remove them in post, which I think it actually key to getting the light position right.
My processing is normally about curves and getting a bit of a matt look.. removing the true blacks and getting that contrast just right. I don't really know how I got there with it, but it's proving to be popular and prints out really nice on a silk paper. But it's always a learning process too...nothing works for everything.
Thanks again dude. Really appreciate your feedback as always.

Thanks again everyone. Sorry, no pullbacks this time. I forgot. :|

B

"Excellent" set as usual Beth, #1 is the standout for me.(y)

George.

Thanks Kev. I don't actually do much in PP, some creative cropping and a bit of cleanup where needed (although @JimPMM usually manages to find my 'intentional mistake just for him) :)
Regards to the finished look, it's a preset that I made for Lightroom which gives me a nice 'matt' look, which I then tweak to suit. It's mostly about contrast and curves. The thing that takes me the most time is the actual culling... I struggle with this.

Thank you for the pointers on Curves, something I need to look into.

They’re all just charming.

Interesting that no-one has picked #4 as a favourite. I’d have picked it for having the most lasting appeal. It’s the least posed and has really caught an intimate moment. It’s beautifully timed and has a lovely energy & dynamic composition. And I’m guessing it was the most difficult to pull off.

You know what? I really like #3, love the position of both subjects. But they're all fabulous as usual. Will check out that silk paper too, did a collage of b&w images with faded black levels but not totally happy with the finish on matt paper.

Brilliant as usual Bethy, love the happy expressions you've caught and the connection between mother (!) and daughter. Of the set #2 would be my pick. The pose looks great, and the negative space works very well. Perfect framing. I could see this in a magazine with some copy of the right, like an editorial piece on the subject. You set the bar high but you keep nudging it upwards...

Back