Big lens backpack?

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I have just taken delivery of my new sigma 150-500 but need to look at a bag for it. I have a Lowepro flipside 200 which is great but I'm going on safari soon and would like something a little bigger so I could leave the lens on my D90 and also maybe have an extra compartment for some extra bits like food or a jacket. I like Lowepro but would be open if anyone has any ideas of others? Any help or advice from anyone who has any bags like this would be really appreciated.

The lowepro mini trekker seems to be popular for the 150-500. It's pretty much the smallest back pack you'll get that'll fit the 150-500 (it's a very good snug fit down the middle) and it's got lots of other spaces. Won't fit a jacket in though, but I often clip mine to the outside using the ties that are designed to carry a tripod.

Thats great, thanks for the replys. I have seen a Lowepro Fastpack 350 second hand for a good price, Does anyone know if this would suit my needs or if there are any other brands that I should be considering?

I have 60d, siggy 150-500 and a couple of other lenses+ some binoculars that fit comfortably in my kata 123- go- 30!!

I have a tamrac expedition 5 which fitted a Gripped 40D and 70-200 with room to spare and space for other lenses too. Its for sale in the classified if you're interested...

For info it has main compartment which can be divided, it then has 2 large internal pockets. A large front pocket which I have put lightweight coat in/reflector befor. Memory card pockets and tripod straps etc too. It is also got weather seal which would be great for dusty places... It gets great reviews (google tamrax expedition 5 reviews)

Heres a link to the website, I honestly cant remember if min was a 5X or just 5 but they look the same!

http://www.tamrac.co.uk/pages/product1.htm

Last edited:
artyman said:
I have a Lowepro flipside 400 which takes a 150-500 with a body attached, which was what I wanted.

Unless you're planning to carry a laptop as well, I agree with Ken; the 400 is great for medium telephotos.

I've got a 5D3 and Sigma 150-500 OS fitted, plus a 60D and other lenses and flashes etc and had them all in a Tamrac Expedition 9x, but that will probably be far too big for what you want, but Tamrac do a fantastic range of backpacks and shoulder bags and would be worth looking at. They are very well made, very strong and very spacious too.

I use a lowpro 300 aw it's aircraft spec and holds a 7d with 150-500 atached plus other gear no probs

Thats great, thanks for the replys. I have seen a Lowepro Fastpack 350 second hand for a good price, Does anyone know if this would suit my needs or if there are any other brands that I should be considering?
The Fastpack 350 will not take the camera body with the 150-500 attached. At a push, you can get the lens in by changing the divider to allow the lens to lay along the whole width of the bag - but it is tight. I sometimes put my 150-500 in the top compartment wrapped in a large microfibre cloth or an off-cut of camping mat. The mini-trekker mentioned earlier will fit the body with lens attached no problem. Here's an old picture (with nothing else in the bag):

IMG_1873.jpg

You might want to look at the Flipside 300 or 400 - I've heard that it is much more comfortable than the Mini-Trekker (which can be a bit uncomfortable for long hikes with a full load) and I've also heard reports of both sizes being used as a carry-on bag for flights

Thank you all for your help. I have been out and had a look at a couple of bags today and I think that I am going for the Flipside 400. Now just to try and find somewhere selling them at a good price or a second hand one.

Back