Big lens

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Im currently on the look out for a big lens, nikon D700 is the body and my budget will be around 1500-2000. Will be mostly birds but as I will be around minsmere suffolk there will be other wildlife around. Was thinking second hand, possibly nikons 500mm or 600mm but obviously at my budget they will be an older model, think I would struggle to get a 400 2.8 with budget constraints. I have an 70-200 2.8 and 1.7 converter already. Your thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

An older 500 f4, a 300 f2.8 and 1.4 TV or the Sigma 120-300 and tc- all good lenses but it depends on your style of shooting and other equipment you own- for instance the 500 is best with a good tripod although it can be hand held. The smaller 300 and Sigma are easily hand held and decent to walk about looking for wildlife.

Ive got a tripod, lensmater head and a monopod, sigma 2x convertor, 70-200 f2.8 vr1. I would mostly be at minsmere and I know most of their hides are a good distance from subject matter.

I forgot that for your money you could get a new Nikon 80-400 VR which is meant to be pretty sharp and much better than the older version it replaced.worth a thought as it lighter than the others mentioned.then there are the likes of the Sigma 150-600 etc etc etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
An older non VR 300mm f2.8 was what I started with and it will take all the teleconverters so you can have flexibility and buy TCs when funds allow?

food for thought

Went in a couple of the hides at Minsmere a few weeks ago. I would look around for other options as well. The hides I visited did not strike me as photography friendly. Too high and too far away from the water. If you get a chance try Strumpshaw RSPB.

Dave.

Went in a couple of the hides at Minsmere a few weeks ago. I would look around for other options as well. The hides I visited did not strike me as photography friendly. Too high and too far away from the water. If you get a chance try Strumpshaw RSPB.

Dave.
That was my thoughts as well on Minsmere Dave, great facilities but just too far from water, Havent been to Strumpshaw so will have a wee look at some point.

If I lived in Norfolk I would be at Strumpshaw most weeks :)

The top 13 pictures (except the rabbit) on my Flickr feed are from my holiday in Norfolk a few weeks ago. All taken at Strumpshaw. I love it there :)

Dave.

Last edited:
I reckon that describes most RSPB hides...
Try Leighton Moss, they could not have made it worse for photography.

Shame reserves are like that, puts you off going back when like that.

Back