Critique Big Moor Stags

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
I love this time of year, no so much the getting up at the crack of dawn on a weekend, but i am lucky enough to live only 15 mins away from Big Moor in Derbyshire, and having discovered the presence of Red Deer here a few years ago, it has now become a b it of an obsession to try and catch them rutting, of which i am still unsuccessful in

I thought i was going to get 'the shot' on Sunday morning when these 2 rather large Stags were bellowing at each other from either side of the path i was on, alas they did not rut, but i did manage to catch one of my favourite shots thus far of a couple of Big Moors Red Deer stags

Any comments/critique welcomed

It was shot at pretty high ISO as it was still very early and a bit misty, and having my TC on the 300mm i was down to f5.6 wide open, luckily i had my tripod as i would never have got the shot handheld at 1/180th SS

Passing Stags
by Richard Smith, on Flickr

I love the tones in the lower part, here's a suggestion of an alternative
artistic intent for your appreciation:

Big%20Moor%20Stags%201.jpg

Love the colours of this. Not sure on Kodiak edit, as I cant see much, if any, difference.

I would have been surprised if these two did lock antlers as they are very mismatched (just look at the difference in antlers). In my experience, the locking antlers is a very last resort. Bellowing, followed by parallel walking is as close most ever get.

Cheers @Kodiak Qc , and yes i was so glad the heather still had a bit of its wonderful colouring left as it is difficult to pick the deer out when it's all turned back to brown again

Last edited:
Love the colours of this. Not sure on Kodiak edit, as I cant see much, if any, difference.

I would have been surprised if these two did lock antlers as they are very mismatched (just look at the difference in antlers). In my experience, the locking antlers is a very last resort. Bellowing, followed by parallel walking is as close most ever get.

I have witnessed the parallel walking before, and seen the quickest glimpse of 2 young stags having a practice rut (was over in the blink of an eye), but i'm determined to try and get a rut shot this year

It was a bit of a brown trouser moment when this guy crossed over the path right in front of me to head towards the guy in the background, it was a bit too close for comfort

This is the same chap from earlier on when he scared the life out of me when he popped his head up from over the brow of a hill running parallel with the path i was on and bellowed with all his might

I Can See You!!!!!
by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Back