Big problems!... Any help with dead laptop

Cg_Girl

Jamie Oliver's best friend.
Name
T.
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok a brief.... Old laptop avent about 8 yrs old, 3 dead keys and probably extremely dusty and knackered ...
But I need it!
It's been causing me issues lately, random freezing and I've had to force switch off repeatedly,
Now awhile back I had a similar issue and it took around 3 days to get it back working.. I finally got into system restore and restored back just a few days, I thought the issue was an Microsoft silver light update so since then I've not put it back on, all seemed ok until couple days ago, freezing as started again probably around 10 times so I though I'd switch important updates back on, it was freezing in between doing them and then last night when I switched off it was doing them as I went to bed.

This morning I can't get it working, won't load windows not even in safe mode rapping F8.. If it brings up tech guys support it tries to repair but doesn't, flashes a quick blue screen but doesn't stay blue then restarts to black failed to start screen.

If I try restore it won't let me via tech screen, says it's in a limited mode and nothing to restore back to :(

I have no discs and the DVD drive only works in flukey times ..

What I'm asking before I kick it hard is, is there any other way I've trying a restore? If not I'll do a full destructive doobry wot sit :(

Or is it completely dead :mad:

Like I said I really need this to be working and just don't have the funds to spend
Thank you :)

No windows disk?
What operating system?
My first attempt would be try and boot from an external CD (depending on bios limitations) and run fix from a Windows install disk.

Do you have unbacked up data on the drive?
You need to get a hdd usb dock. Remove HDD and save data using another PC.

Depending on your recovery mode you may be able to re-install windows over the top of the current install.
If the blue screen beeps multiple times, that's a code to tell you what hardware failed in bios check.

Doesn't sound good if you can't get safe mode.
F10 might bring up the more nuclear recovery options.
Careful with that if you need stuff off it.

Ok firstly it's windows vista, I'm sure obviously at one point I did have discs but I haven't seem them for years and certainly not since I moved ..
But the DVD drive is pretty much busted so the chance of it playing nice would be slim

Oh and I have no external hard drive , everything is on that laptop, it's just one of those things I've never had spare money for..

If I have to wipe it I'll be gutted but it beats not having one so fair enough,

I'll try F10 with closed eyes and see what's happening

As for the beeping blue screen, not sure it does beep, I'll try again.

At 8 years old it is likely to be dead/nearly dead due to some kind of hardware failure. Concentrate on retrieving important data. USB sticks are cheap compared to external drives so I'd get a couple of those and try and rescue vital information. There are some usb boot systems but they're mainly linux and you'd need 2 usb sticks, one to run the boot drive and one to copy things onto.

Only other thing to try is to switch it off and vacuum all the air vents on the off chance it is full of fluff and over heating. That may buy you more time to rescue important things but I'd basically assume it's a gonner :(

http://www.memorybits.co.uk/shop/usbflashdrive/sandisk-8gb-cruzer-usb-flash-drive-/12518 8GB for £3.49 delivered is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDC...id=1408964111&sr=8-2&keywords=USB+flash+drive £10.50 for a 32GB.

I had thought of trying to give it a Hoover, it's been getting stupidly hot for years, keeping it on the arm of the sofa probably doesn't help as it's not getting air to it

I'd hoover it. Also leaving it on the sofa arm is daft as it will get hotter. I used to put my laptop on a thick placemat when the little table was too covered in junk...

Yeah I know it's silly, I do try and have it on the coffe table but I can't sit forward like that with my dodgy back.. I used to have a air vent thing for it but it broke and never thought much off it...

Until now

Old fashioned wooden tray? That might be quite good as well. You can then lounge on the sofa with it...

Cleaning your laptop can't do any harm. Without going too deeply into the innards there is a lot of access to be had by unscrewing the various panels. However, if overheating was the problem I would have expected it to shut down, rather than freeze.

Is there any chance you could buy a hard drive caddy? If so, you could remove the hard drive from your laptop and use it as an external drive on another computer. At least then you may be able to get to the files on the drive but, I'm guessing from you saying, "I really need this to be working", that you need more than just documents and photos.

Dave

I no PC world used to employ simpletons, but if you cannot get it working take it there and explain you need the info, they will backup/transfer all info off your hdd for you at a price, could always try a local computer company aswel if your not comfortable with taking out hdd and doing it yourself

Old fashioned wooden tray? That might be quite good as well. You can then lounge on the sofa with it...

That's not a bad idea at all

Cleaning your laptop can't do any harm. Without going too deeply into the innards there is a lot of access to be had by unscrewing the various panels. However, if overheating was the problem I would have expected it to shut down, rather than freeze.

Is there any chance you could buy a hard drive caddy? If so, you could remove the hard drive from your laptop and use it as an external drive on another computer. At least then you may be able to get to the files on the drive but, I'm guessing from you saying, "I really need this to be working", that you need more than just documents and photos.

Dave

Well I've now given it a Hoover took 2 panels off, I'm assuming it's the fan I can see looks shocking!

As for the files etc, I'll loose a lot of pictures but most are on Flickr and they aren't sellable stuff, just folders I liked, I various bits on CDs and a couple of sticks.

Most important that I'll lose is Lightroom and elements which I don't have the discs,

It's the actual comp I need though so if I was to lose it all then it's not good but I'd have a working laptop, I'm in the process of setting a little business up so oodles of networking and stuff, the thought of doing all that via a phone sends me mental

I no PC world used to employ simpletons, but if you cannot get it working take it there and explain you need the info, they will backup/transfer all info off your hdd for you at a price, could always try a local computer company aswel if your not comfortable with taking out hdd and doing it yourself

To he honest it's a working laptop that's more important
I know I'll lose everything but not a lot I can/could do about that.

If you got access or a friend with an air compressor or you've got a pressurised air can, give it a blow through as well, vacuuming doesn't always get stuff wedged into air inlets. Sorry it's running Vista :( That was the OS that nearly sent me even more mad, I used to get BSOD and freezes even with a brand new desk top PC.

If you got access or a friend with an air compressor or you've got a pressurised air can, give it a blow through as well, vacuuming doesn't always get stuff wedged into air inlets. Sorry it's running Vista :( That was the OS that nearly sent me even more mad, I used to get BSOD and freezes even with a brand new desk top PC.

Hmm I did have a can of air I'll have to see if I've got it or whether I binned it when I moved.. Far to ruthless for my own good!
As for vista.. This laptop has given me nothing but problems for a long time. Although sometimes I don't help myself because I try fixing it and press far too many buttons and then get stuck lol

Hmm I did have a can of air I'll have to see if I've got it or whether I binned it when I moved.. Far to ruthless for my own good!
As for vista.. This laptop has given me nothing but problems for a long time. Although sometimes I don't help myself because I try fixing it and press far too many buttons and then get stuck lol

.. Double post sorry internet rubbish today

Last edited:
Remove hard drive - buy a caddy - retrieve information - ditch laptop

The above assumes that you will have another machine available to hook the HD upto using the caddy

If you've got a USB stick and a mate with a working you could make a Linux Mint boot stick. This may start the PC and would give you access to the content of the drive. You could then copy important stuff off.

You could even install it if ir works. Darktable is a free lightroom clone for Linux.

Your laptop will have a disk image on the recovery partition. Find someone who knows about computers to help you. They can copy this file to a external hard drive ( it will be called something like install.wim)
then create a WnPE boot disk with imageX and use it to reimage your laptop and take it to its out of the box state.

Last edited:
If it's blue screening then I doubt it's over heating. Although probably not helping matters.

When booting press F8 to get the menu up and select the option to disable automatic reboots on error (or something to that affect). The blue screen should remain displayed instead of rebooting, take a photo and post it up.

If it's blue screening then I doubt it's over heating. Although probably not helping matters.

When booting press F8 to get the menu up and select the option to disable automatic reboots on error (or something to that affect). The blue screen should remain displayed instead of rebooting, take a photo and post it up.

Probably the only option I've not clicked. I'll post up shortly,thank you

Excellent, hopefully it should give us a clue.

If it's been getting progressively worse then my money at the moment is a failing drive that's starting to become unreadable.

Right this is bizzare, using that option the laptop has loaded although I have a pop up warning saying Google chrome failed to create data directory, its also saying I have no audio output installed

Do you have access to any other computer? If so, you could create a bootable USB (with unet bootin) memory stick that would let you use linux (running off the USB stick - not the HDD) to copy files from the HDD across to a second memory stick. That way you won't lose everything when you reinstall. If you want to know more then I can write a more detailed description.

Bit of a generic error. Could be anything from a bad driver file or failing hardware.

Might be worth reseating the memory just to rule that out. And/or trying it wil a single stick if you have more than one installed.

An laptop of this age,will be coming to the end of its life,your best bet is to get as much as you can of its hard drive,and start saving for a new one.

If you're setting up a business then I'd consider some kind of low cost leasing deal to replace it if you can find one. Or a good 0% credit card offer.

Do you have access to any other computer? If so, you could create a bootable USB (with unet bootin) memory stick that would let you use linux (running off the USB stick - not the HDD) to copy files from the HDD across to a second memory stick. That way you won't lose everything when you reinstall. If you want to know more then I can write a more detailed description.

Thank you but sadly I have no other computer , appreciate the thought though :)

Bit of a generic error. Could be anything from a bad driver file or failing hardware.

Might be worth reseating the memory just to rule that out. And/or trying it wil a single stick if you have more than one installed.

Is that just a case of pulling them out? Or sliding jiggling whichever it is..

An laptop of this age,will be coming to the end of its life,your best bet is to get as much as you can of its hard drive,and start saving for a new one.

Yeah you're right its old and knackered but the thought of being without a PC for months and months if ever isn't nice :(

No money at all for a (used) replacement? Is it just a PC (any PC) you need or do you have specific applications that must be used, like lightroom etc?

No money at all for a (used) replacement? Is it just a PC (any PC) you need or do you have specific applications that must be used, like lightroom etc?

No not even a replacement, it's just me and children here, I'll be needing to buy oil soon as the weather changes plus saving for Christmas and I still have a house that's stripped ready to decorate .. Laptop would have to go way down the list .. Maybe after Christmas I can look about for second hand one, ideally I need it to be able to have Lightroom at least

Thank you but sadly I have no other computer , appreciate the thought though :)

Is that just a case of pulling them out? Or sliding jiggling whichever it is..

Yeah you're right its old and knackered but the thought of being without a PC for months and months if ever isn't nice :(

Some good deals at very.co and you can pay by instalment :)

Just thinking have you got free recycling in your area,you might be able to pick up something just to see you thought .
Look under gumtree.

:)

Just thinking have you got free recycling in your area,you might be able to pick up something just to see you thought .
Look under gumtree.

:)

Ah yeah that's worth a look although I'm without a car to go pick up, as that died too in may, not having a lot of luck am I lol

Back