Big problems!... Any help with dead laptop

Its good to see the that team spirit TP is alive and well.
Well done to all you guys (y)

@Cg_Girl you're not a million miles away from me, I'm just outside Ely. If you want to bring it down to us one weekend I'll see what I can do, I've been an I.T.engineer almost my entire working life and I have a stack of old broken laptops, hard drives and various other bits and bobs (old keyboards/drives etc) that I may be able to sort it out for you or at least get it working and get your data backed up for you.

I may have missed it in the thread, what model is it?

Thank you so much for the offer, sadly i don't even have a car at the moment either, that died it May.. :rolleyes: If i did that would have been brilliant as i could have gone to my parents in wisbech for the weekend... really appreciate the offer though.. thank you!

Cg_Girl, just came across this thread, really do empathise.

I'm just in the middle of wiping the hard drive from my daughters old desktop, it's a few years old, running dual core something or other, Windows, with 4GB of memory, wired keyboard and mouse, but it works fine.

Quite happy to stick it in the post for you (I'll pick up cost of postage), you are more than welcome to it free of any charge , it would be just gathering dust otherwise.

Of course you will need a monitor.

That is most generous of you thank you..... let me know the postage, it's got to be hefty for the size etc, maybe i can do it in a couple of payments if thats ok

and that :clap:

I think we've got a spare monitor somewhere - its only 15" but better than nowt

Firstly Pete, concidering we are quite hit and miss talking lately, thank you.. seriously thank you that's a lovely gesture too..

Secondly i had to laugh because that's the first time i think i've known you to make a comment minus any smuttiness regarding 'it's only 15" :D.. well done;)

Its good to see the that team spirit TP is alive and well.
Well done to all you guys (y)

It sure is Chris, i'm blown away by it this morning.. what amazing gestures:D

Also sorry everyone for such late replies, i had no internet yesterday but all ok now and again thank you all

That is most generous of you thank you..... let me know the postage, it's got to be hefty for the size etc, maybe i can do it in a couple of payments if thats ok

Honestly, there is no need, if you pm me your details, I'll stick the PC/keyboard/mouse in the post on Monday, I'll put in an Ethernet cable also (to connect PC to modem/router)

Pete, does the monitor have a power/VGA lead, if not I could probably find one somewhere around the house.

I've wiped the hard drive and re-installed Win7 and at the moment the PC is going through the process of downloading all the OS/Security updates, so when you get the PC, it will have a clean and up to date install of the OS

Last edited:
Honestly, there is no need, if you pm me your details, I'll stick the PC/keyboard/mouse in the post on Monday, I'll put in an Ethernet cable also (to connect PC to modem/router)

Pete, does the monitor have a power/VGA lead, if not I could probably find one somewhere around the house.

I've wiped the hard drive and re-installed Win7 and at the moment the PC is going through the process of downloading all the OS/Security updates, so when you get the PC, it will have a clean and up to date install of the OS

Seriously thank you, infact i can't thank you enough, i'll send you a PM now:)(y)

If you can remove the current laptop drive I've got a spare caddy to make it an external USB drive. You can then plug this into another PC and hopefully recover some more data from it.
Again, don't worry about postage and PM me if you'd like it sending.
<---How to remove hard drive, dead easy really.

Well done everyone for chipping in with advice and hardware, makes the place seem all warm and fuzzy :)

You can get a hard drive caddy for a few quid that will turn any 2.5" drive into an external USB Drive, the drive might be stable enough to grab data from that way, even if it's not stable enough to run windows from. So don't bin it without trying that. Obviously need a second machine to access it though.

If you can remove the current laptop drive I've got a spare caddy to make it an external USB drive. You can then plug this into another PC and hopefully recover some more data from it.
Again, don't worry about postage and PM me if you'd like it sending.
<---How to remove hard drive, dead easy really.

Well done everyone for chipping in with advice and hardware, makes the place seem all warm and fuzzy :)

Thank you that's so kind of you? I had it working for a few hours yesterday and think I have pretty much all I need it off it that's important, so I think I'll be ok... Thanks for the offer though it's appreciated

VGA yes - I'm not sure about power , i'll have a look

Can I just publicly say a huge huge thanks to Les, PC arrived today .. What a true gem he is :) :)

Sent from button moon...
Thanks :), Has the monitor arrived yet? if so is it all working?

No it's ok I'll look around hopefully at the end of the month for a cheap one, I'll let you know when it's up and running though :) :)

Sent from button moon...

If there's a problem with that monitor then let me know - I have a spare 19" Acer sat around that could go out on long term loan, and I'm probably not that far away.

That is amazingly kind of you- Thank you

I've just realised I've got (had) T on ignore (history blah) so I wouldn't have received any pm's ref the monitor - and there I was thinking of it as an olive branch (buggerit millennium hand and shrimp) - sometimes I amaze even myself for sheer f***wittedness

I'm still happy to send it but T will need to resend the address - but that said if Toni is happy to do it I'd suggest taking him up on his/her kind offer as a 19" acer will be a lot better than a 15" ex corporate monitor of doubtful provenance (the extra 4 inches really does make a difference fnar fnar )

Last edited:
I've just realised I've got (had) T on ignore (history blah) so I wouldn't have received any pm's ref the monitor - and there I was thinking of it as an olive branch (buggerit millennium hand and shrimp) - sometimes I amaze even myself for sheer f***wittedness

I'm still happy to send it but T will need to resend the address - but that said if Toni is happy to do it I'd suggest taking him up on his/her kind offer as a 19" acer will be a lot better than a 15" ex corporate monitor of doubtful provenance (the extra 4 inches really does make a difference fnar fnar )

That doesn't make sense...

I'm not sure it was necessary to suddenly bring up past issues and ignore function when you've been responding to my laptop issues in my thread?
Confused..

Sent from button moon...

been looking at the thread by clicking see ignored posts - but like an idiot I'd forgotten to actually hit unignore which means anything you'd sent me by pm will have disapeared in the dark netherworld at tp towers , usually filled only with cobwebs, biscuit packets and a slumbering TBY, - I only realised when I saw les's post - as I said, and you'll be aware, I have an immense capacity to be a total f*****g idiot at times.

anyway whatever, if you want the monitor its here and i'll happily post it you for free if you give me an address - but my honest opinion is you'd be a lot better of with toni's 19 inch acer , rather than our unbranded 15" of doubtful provenance and dubious age ( about 6 years I think)

Last edited:
OK T, PM me have your address & I'll see when it can be dropped by.

As for BSM, don't hold it against him.

As for BSM, don't hold it against him.

Advice many mothers have given their daughters over the years ;) ( there was a time many moons ago when my favoured chat up line was " If i told you you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me " :LOL: )

To finalise this thread......

Woohoo i am now up and running on a full working pc......it is heaven, the folk here have been tremendous in advice and offers that have just been beyond kind....all of you that helped, thank you

@Les McLean and @ancient_mariner if TP did medals you guys deserve them hands down, as i have said before, i can't thank you guys enough ...

(@Cobra look i can 'v' now too.. yay! ):D

Back