Big Skies at Brands Hatch BARC meeting, oh and some racing

Sorry but 1,2 and 3 hurt my eyes.

The cars are so small in the frame that the whole image gives the impression that its OOF. Cant get it big enough to see if the cars are sharp or not.

4 I like much more.

The cars are so small in the frame that the whole image gives the impression that its OOF. Cant get it big enough to see if the cars are sharp or not.

4 I like much more.

Agree with the above, i think it either needs a slower shutter speed to get more motion blur, and maybe turn down the saturation a little

What shutter speeds were you using for the first 3?

Nice pictures i was there too! Not edited any of mine yet, do you have any of a silver honda accord? As that was my pal i was with.

Many thanks for the comments: Shutter speeds #1 was 1/100 #2 was 1/80 and #3 was 1/60 all with Sigma 15-30mm on a 5D. First effort at this type of shot, clearly more practice required, I must admit that I do like a saturated image!

Echoii is this the Accord?
View attachment 42734 !

4 I like much more.

Saved me typing! :agree:

Sorry Rhod, I have to agree with the others... they all look a bit too HDR for my taste, also with the wide stuff I think you have to push the shutter speeds a lot more (like under 1/20 at least), especially when the backgrounds are as busy as this. I personally hate it when I can see the day glow marshals (and bins) everywhere (in images) they are quite distracting... the subjects are lost in everything... #4 is too static, too heavily processed and too cluttered... 1 & 2 are probably my favourites but you need to halve the SS at least and go easy on the sharpening and saturation, but most of all watch the backgrounds

Last edited:
Once again many thanks for the feedback, however regarding the ''clutter,'' Brands is infamous for its red bins and without marshals there would be no racing for us to photograph! Particularly on these wide angle shots the backgrounds are an intrinsic part of the image and to remove them in PP would be wrong. My idea in these shots was to try to capture the ''feeling'' of the meeting, the ''subject'' is the whole frame as captured, not just the cars. That is what I was seeing with my eyes, the clue is in the title ''Big Skies'' I agree that my technique needs to be worked on and I need to tone down the saturation. I will be trying again at the British GT this weekend.

Once again many thanks for the feedback, however regarding the ''clutter,'' Brands is infamous for its red bins and without marshals there would be no racing for us to photograph! Particularly on these wide angle shots the backgrounds are an intrinsic part of the image and to remove them in PP would be wrong. My idea in these shots was to try to capture the ''feeling'' of the meeting, the ''subject'' is the whole frame as captured, not just the cars. That is what I was seeing with my eyes, the clue is in the title ''Big Skies'' I agree that my technique needs to be worked on and I need to tone down the saturation. I will be trying again at the British GT this weekend.

I understand that Rhod, sorry I didn't mean to sound overly negative :) When I say the marshals get in the way I purely mean from a photographic point of view (they are legends)... I'm not suggesting you clone them out, instead shoot from a position where they either don't interfere with the aesthetic of your images or use them as a creative device. It's fine to shoot documentary style to record the event... but it doesn't really make for an attractive image or differentiate from general snappers with P&S's.

Of course all that is just my own opinion and i'm no master of photography :)

Many thanks for the comments: Shutter speeds #1 was 1/100 #2 was 1/80 and #3 was 1/60 all with Sigma 15-30mm on a 5D. First effort at this type of shot, clearly more practice required, I must admit that I do like a saturated image!

Echoii is this the Accord?
View attachment 42734 !

That's the one, nice picture i will forward to the brothers who race the car. Was their first race too!

Nice Images good blur on the panning ones

Back