( bike mystery) Morning walk with Compact, rather than DSLR.

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Charged the DSLR up this morning, was going to take it out with me while walking the dog. It started to rain, so I put the DSLR back and stuffed my Fuji X10 in my coat pocket. It stopped raining a short while later, so I could have taken the DSLR out with me after all.

Spotted this burnt out motorbike in a field. Just a quick snap shot, so not looking for critique :).

17255-1481279676-c65839af9f7ba1464dd70c43e7bf1157.jpg

Looks very ghost like! I like that shot, but very sorry for the bike and it's owner.

Isn't the X10 a great little performer?

Looks very ghost like! I like that shot, but very sorry for the bike and it's owner.

Isn't the X10 a great little performer?
It is OK for quick snap shots etc, but I would have liked to have gotten this photo with my DSLR.

Nice - looks like it could be a good doer-upper ;)

Not even sure what make of bike it is, did not want to poke about too much. I did not want to have to try and explain, to passing police, what I was doing in a field, with a burnt out bike.
No houses for miles, just fields after fields, a lovely walk with the dog. Good to carry a compact, just never know when something of interest pops up.

And to think that, one day that was someone's pride and joy. You can only wonder how it ended up like that. I'm guessing 'Nicked'

And to think that, one day that was someone's pride and joy. You can only wonder how it ended up like that. I'm guessing 'Nicked'
Unless the owner was camping in the field, and parked it too close to the BBQ ;).

I might try and get a better photo of the bike, that is if its still there.Will try and use the DSLR next time.

A strange scene. I would have expected to see burn marks on the ground and signs of debris.

A strange scene. I would have expected to see burn marks on the ground and signs of debris.
I think there was some scorch marks, possibly the other side of the bike. I got a few photos of the bike, will have a look at the other photos and check ;).

A photo from the other side, showing burn marks. Very poor photo, well,not the best of light this morning.
17256-1481312412-18d925683deee18d87ffdf7961d8334b.jpg

It might be worth going back - the lights has done no favours and there's not enough separation between bike & background.

It might be worth going back - the lights has done no favours and there's not enough separation between bike & background.
I was at f/5.6 on the fuji X10, for some inexplicable reason, possibly trying to get the bike in focus. Would have probably been better of at f/2.8 or something, oh and of course, much better light. I did think the background was much further away. Might re visit, and try again. But weather is supposed to be not too good. Not sure how long the bike has been there, it may be removed over the next few days. Oh and I do not want to be spotted near it, might be accused of tampering with it.

I will probably use the DSLR, with the 35mm 1.8G next time. Will get plenty of separation then, and without even trying too hard ;).

Last edited:
I'd probably try to go lower, closer & with the widest lens I could, or focus in close with a long lens to get abstract-ish shapes from the structure.

I'd probably try to go lower, closer & with the widest lens I could, or focus in close with a long lens to get abstract-ish shapes from the structure.
Would love to go past the bike again, and have another shot at it. Will keep an eye on the weather. Thanks for the tips :).

I wonder if anyone knows their bikes well enough to know what model it is? ;)

Charged the DSLR up this morning, was going to take it out with me while walking the dog. It started to rain, so I put the DSLR back and stuffed my Fuji X10 in my coat pocket. It stopped raining a short while later, so I could have taken the DSLR out with me after all.

Spotted this burnt out motorbike in a field. Just a quick snap shot, so not looking for critique :).

Not burnt out! BARN FIND :clap:, now ebay it for hundreds!

Could be an older bike, possibly 80s or 90s judging by the rear shocks. Not sure they use this design on modern bikes, but I could be wrong. Will see if I can get a better photo later this morning.

Not burnt out! BARN FIND :clap:, now ebay it for hundreds!
The barn must have burned down around it, if that is the case ;).

It's quite hard to place that bike, especially with images that small. I can't see any manufacturers names anywhere.

What do we know / can we guess?
Well, it's a single cylinder 4-stroke model. - Likely to be small capacity.
Single front disk / rear drum. - Small capacity, rules out 1970s and much of the early 80s.
Cast wheels. - These didn't generally come in for small bikes until the 80s.
Faired in tank. - Quite modern then.
It looks like someone has had the bars off it, are they clocks or the headlamp hanging down? - Possibly has a bikini fairing
Twin rear shocks. - Cheap or retro
Exhaust pipe shape - Retro, modern bikes normally have pipes that kick up, or are routed around the frame / fairing, that looks 1970s!!!

Without the rear pipe, it reminds me of a Yamaha YBR125, or a Honda CB125F.

The fact there are modern & retro features indicates that it's either customised by the owner, or it's a cheap overseas knock-off of one of the Japanese big four's 125s. I'm going to go with it being a knock-off, so without the manufacturers name, it's going to be nard to narrow it down further.

It's quite hard to place that bike, especially with images that small. I can't see any manufacturers names anywhere.

Single front disk / rear drum. - Small capacity, rules out 1970s and much of the early 80s.
It looks like someone has had the bars off it, are they clocks or the headlamp hanging down? - Possibly has a bikini fairing
Exhaust pipe shape - Retro, modern bikes normally have pipes that kick up, or are routed around the frame / fairing, that looks 1970s!!!

The fact there are modern & retro features indicates that it's either customised by the owner, or it's a cheap overseas knock-off of one of the Japanese big four's 125s. I'm going to go with it being a knock-off, so without the manufacturers name, it's going to be nard to narrow it down further.
My initial thoughts were Hyosong or Cagiva, but then the twin rear shocks threw that idea out as I can't think of on with that kind of arrangement :confused:

You have noticed a great deal there, a hell of a lot more than I noticed ;). Just looking out of the back door now, will be taking the dog for her morning walk again. Will pop by the field and see if the bike is still there. Will be taking the DSLR and the 35mm 1.8G today, will try and get closer, and hopefully a much better photo.

My initial thoughts were Hyosong or Cagiva, but then the twin rear shocks threw that idea out as I can't think of on with that kind of arrangement :confused:
I will try and get a couple of close ups, see if I can spot any identifying marks symbols etc ;).

Decided to alter the title of the thread, to include "bike mystery", as this what is seems to be turning into lol.

Decided to alter the title of the thread, to include "bike mystery", as this what is seems to be turning into lol.
I've decided that I don't think it's a Honda or Yam due to the shape of the gearbox casing. Could be wrong though ;)

Or a Lambo!

My guess is Chinese knock off. Often no easily identifiable parts on the engine so the same one can be used across multiple manufacturers.

I've decided that I don't think it's a Honda or Yam due to the shape of the gearbox casing. Could be wrong though ;)
When I first saw it, I thought it may have been an older Suzuki, looking at the rear shocks. But the wheels have an older Kawasaki look about them.
Anyway, off to see if I can get a few more snaps, provided it is still there of course :).

Only name I could see, was KYMCO.

17264-1481373108-03f84bede3f17ce72e1ec424eb71e52c.jpg

17262-1481373096-bccd9113d24c59cb58a18306a01ddcb8.jpg

KYMCO ?

17260-1481373085-a7401ced76774d64e1b3058af6c8dbdc.jpg

Did not bother to wipe away the wet, I did not want to be seen touching the bike.
It says Electric Starter.

17259-1481373078-7b709482c9c9a909e72c4117792940fa.jpg

17258-1481373073-46f3dc77b078cdd5e1809ded7cc7c72d.jpg

It was a lot smaller than I remembered it, looks like a 125cc.

Last edited:
A bit of googling, brings up: Taiwanese company that manufactures motor scooters, motorcycles, and ATVs for worldwide distribution. Founded in 1963 after splitting from Honda, KYMCO originally made parts for Honda......

Only name I could see, was KYMCO.

17264-1481373108-03f84bede3f17ce72e1ec424eb71e52c.jpg

17262-1481373096-bccd9113d24c59cb58a18306a01ddcb8.jpg

KYMCO ?

17260-1481373085-a7401ced76774d64e1b3058af6c8dbdc.jpg

Did not bother to wipe away the wet, I did not want to be seen touching the bike.
It says Electric Starter.

17259-1481373078-7b709482c9c9a909e72c4117792940fa.jpg

It was a lot smaller than I remembered it, looks like a 125cc.

A bit of googling, brings up: Taiwanese company that manufactures motor scooters, motorcycles, and ATVs for worldwide distribution. Founded in 1963 after splitting from Honda, KYMCO originally made parts for Honda......

Thanks for the pics. much better. I'd forgotten about KYMCO, I remember seeing them in what bike mag and thinking who on earth or those ;) Quick google myself would suggest it's the CK 125, probably with some different wheels (as mentioned above they do look like Kwak wheels).

Great bit of detective work (y)

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. much better. I'd forgotten about KYMCO, I remember seeing them is what bike mag and thinking who on earth or those ;) Quick google myself would suggest it's the CK 125, probably with some different wheels (as mentioned above they do look like Kwak wheels).

Actually some of the 125's (CK Pulsar) did have these wheels
http://moto.zombdrive.com/image-model/4823-kymco-125-pulsar-ck-4.jpg.html

Has the same exhaust and engine/gearbox casings too (y)

Last edited:
Actually some of the 125's (CK Pulsar) did have these wheels
http://moto.zombdrive.com/image-model/4823-kymco-125-pulsar-ck-4.jpg.html

Has the same exhaust and engine/gearbox casings too (y)
I think we have a winner (y).
The pipe matches too, as does the front disk, and the swinging arm is tubular.
Brand spanking new, they are around the 2 grand mark on biketrader, and that one isn't new.
The problem with these copies is that they are (kind of) fine while they are working, but as soon as something breaks, it's near impossible to get parts.

Thanks for the pics. much better. I'd forgotten about KYMCO, I remember seeing them in what bike mag and thinking who on earth or those ;) Quick google myself would suggest it's the CK 125, probably with some different wheels (as mentioned above they do look like Kwak wheels).

Photos from the entry level DSLR and 35 mm cheapo prime, have done a better job than my fuji X10 ;). The bike was a good walk from the road and down a path, could not be seen from the road. Not a premium named bike, but still a shame how it has ended up.

Photos from the entry level DSLR and 35 mm cheapo prime, have done a better job than my fuji X10 ;). The bike was a good walk from the road and down a path, could not be seen from the road. Not a premium named bike, but still a shame how it has ended up.
Better because you used the DSLR, or better because of a combination of the light conditions, etc. and you having more time and being in the right mood?

Better because you used the DSLR, or better because of a combination of the light conditions, etc. and you having more time and being in the right mood?
Have to admit, DSLR and prime lens certainly helped get a better photo ;).

There is a scorched area, the other side of the bike. The bike may have been lying on it's side, when it was set on fire. It looks as though the bike may have been moved a little, and been put upright.

I wonder if the owner and Police, are aware of what has become of the bike? Surely someone must have seen it ablaze, and reported it.

There is a scorched area, the other side of the bike. The bike may have been lying on it's side, when it was set on fire. It looks as though the bike may have been moved a little, and been put upright.

I wonder if the owner and Police, are aware of what has become of the bike? Surely someone must have seen it ablaze, and reported it.
Unless it's been reported stolen the police won't care less, should tell your local council environmental services...

Unless it's been reported stolen the police won't care less, should tell your local council environmental services...
It is in a field, so probably down to the land owner I suppose :thinking:.

Back