Billingham bags

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I shall probably have to buy a new camera bag in the near future and Billingham bags, although not cheap, seem highly recommended.

However, a couple of their models are available in 'canvas' or 'fibre-nyte' and was wondering if one was better than the other. I think the prices are the same for either material, but is one perhaps more weather-resistant or durable than the other?

I've never owned a Billingham before, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :thinking:

There is nothing wrong with the canvas, I've seen billinghams that have been dragged around the world and many years old and they still look like they have loads of life left in them. The new material though, may retain and be more consistent in colour and it may be a little bit more waterproof, although I've been in downpours with mine with no worries. I don't think you'll have problems with either.

Walls - many thanks for your reply.

Yes, I must admit I do like the look of the canvas. It will be a good replacement for my old Tamrac which has seen better days.

Both my canvas ones have been fine. After 2 years my 550 still looks brand new, and the packington I've carried around every day for the last 9 months again looks nearly new still.

Actually it's quite annoying because I'd love them to look more 'lived with'

My old canvas 450 has had a hammering over the years, apart from a few marks it's still fine, been out in pouring rain all my kit stayed dry, heartly recomended for a tough bag. Not cheap but built to last.
Only crit the rucksack type clip-on straps were hopeless, really uncomfortable. Wayne

I have a Domke, which uses the same canvas type. Old WW2 army tents I've stayed in still hold strong after 60 years - no doubt the Billinghams will aswell. Plus, as said - the crappier it gets, the better it looks - like a good set of motorcycle leathers..

A big thank you also to Dan, Wayne and Icecavern for your replies - much appreciated. (y)

I'll be looking at the canvas versions, probably either the 335 or 445 model.

I'm tempted by a Billingham Packinton.

I can't find anywhere nearby that stocks them to put things in it, and photos of the inside are quite hard to find on the internet.

Could some kind soul tell me what fits in theirs? I'm especially curious about the ability to get a laptop in it.

I have a Packington that I carry around all the time. It's not really designed to carry a laptop, so it wont be in a padded section. I can't get my 17" MBP in there, but a 15" would fit easy down the side of the padding.

I've carried my 80-200AFS, 85mm, 50mm, 24-70, and my D700 in it all at once. It was full but still had room for an SB800 in the side pocket.

I normally only have the D700 +50mm or 24-70 in there which is a bit of a waste of the space.

Necromancy!

I now have a Billingham Packington. It just fits my 15" laptop (though it's an IBM t43p with the extended battery pack so on the large side width and depth wise).

Lovely bag! I might get round to taking some photos seeing as there's a dearth of them online.

I can just see you with a "man bag" lol

Have fun with the billingham they do look good :)

Back